joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... All time record heat across middle Tennessee today...

A powerful upper level ridge of high pressure combined with the

ongoing drought conditions have led to all time record heat

across middle Tennessee today. Many locations set not only

records for the month of June... but also their highest

temperatures ever recorded.

All time high temperature records set on June 29 2012 include...

Nashville... ..109 (old record 107 on 7/27/1952 and 7/28/1952)

Crossville... .102 (old record 101 on 7/16/1980)

June high temperature records set on June 29 2012 include...

Nashville... ..109 (old record 106 on 6/30/1952)

Crossville... .102 (old record 99 on 6/24/1988)

Clarksville... 109 (old record 109 on 6/18/1944)

Records for Nashville date back to 1871.

Records for Crossville date back to 1954.

Records for Clarksville date back to 1890.

I found this fascinating as well.

SXUS72 KGSP 281841

RERCLT

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

241 PM EDT THU JUN 28 2012

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT CHARLOTTE NC...

THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT THE CHARLOTTE-DOUGLAS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

ON WEDNESDAY MORNING...JUNE 27...WAS 56 DEGREES. THIS IS A NEW

RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR THE DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD LOW

TEMPERATURE WAS 59 DEGREES WHICH WAS SET BACK IN 1979. CLIMALOGICAL

DATA HAVE BEEN KEPT FOR CHARLOTTE SINCE 1878.

THIS RECORD REPORT WAS DELAYED DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES WHICH WERE

RESOLVED EARLIER TODAY.

$$

OUTLAW

SXUS72 KILM 280847

RERFLO

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON NC

0445 AM EDT THU JUN 28 2012

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FLORENCE SC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 58 DEGREES WAS SET AT FLORENCE SC

YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 60 SET IN 1979.

$$

SXUS72 KGSP 272308

RERCLT

RECORD EVENT REPORT

530 PM EDT WED JUN 27 2012

...A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE WAS SET AT CHARLOTTE NC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 56 DEGREES WAS SET AT CHARLOTTE NC

TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 59 SET IN 1979.

$$

SXUS72 KGSP 271140

RERGSP

RECORD EVENT REPORT

0740 AM EDT WED JUN 27 2012

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT CHARLOTTE NC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 56 DEGREES WAS SET AT CHARLOTTE NC THIS

MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 59 SET IN 1879.

yes, the ASOS temp reading is a 5 minute average. I can't tell you how many times when I was at NAS Jax (NIP) that jet exhaust swirled near the sensor and you'd get a ridiculous spike that'd fall right back.

Still, 109 and Phoenix is still only 107. Absolutely amazing.

Installing template sensors near jet exhaust.... that's pretty brilliant. It's not wonder why people argue so much about AGW

Sent from my Milestone X 2

Installing template sensors near jet exhaust.... that's pretty brilliant. It's not wonder why people argue so much about AGW

Sent from my Milestone X 2

Equipment was installed correctly at NIP. It's just sometimes the larger aircraft would turn on the taxiway and the exhaust would sometimes carry over. Mainly occured with large air force planes, cargo jets, and NATO patrol aircraft.

Wilmington (Cape Fear) NC made it into the century club today with a high of 100F at ILM airport.

The dew point is inching upwards this evening (now at 74F) and coastal radars are going crazy with false returns. Yea, radars have been showing lots of precip over southeast NC and off shore while there's not a cloud to be found.

The outflow boundary from the day's MCS rolled through here a little while ago. No rain. Just a 32-mph gust from the northwest. Interestingly, the temperature rose three degrees behind the boundary, from 85 to 88.

Fountain, NC -- in western-most Pitt County, NC

The outflow boundary from the day's MCS rolled through here a little while ago. No rain. Just a 32-mph gust from the northwest. Interestingly, the temperature rose three degrees behind the boundary, from 85 to 88.

Fountain, NC -- in western-most Pitt County, NC

Cool---prolly the first heat burst" ( ok mini heat burst) I have seen documented in this area....so that got me thinking so I looked and look what I found in Rocky Mount

23:53 NW 24 G 38 9.00 A Few Clouds and Breezy FEW095 86 74 67% 29.85 1010.5

22:53 Calm 8.00 Fair CLR 81 76 85% 29.77 1007.9

IMBY here in Dahlonega we hit 100.1 yesterday. This also tied the Dahlonega record of 100 for 6/29 which was set back in 1936 and was also the warmest day in Dahlonega since 1980 when we hit 101.

For today (6/30) the Dahlonega record is 100 which was set in 1952. I think that will be matched or fall today also. The all time Dahlonega record is 103 also set back in 1952.

KJNX went from 79° at 23:55 to 88° at 00:15 last night while reporting N winds of 20, gusting to 29.

Not only did I see the temperature bump up several degrees when that dry boundary came whizzing through here, check out the dewpoint crash that resulted -- a lowered dewpoint that never really recovered all night. (See attached image.) As a result, my morning low was quite a bit cooler than forecast. I woke to find 70 degrees on my back porch, not upper 70s as expected.

Maybe some of the mets can tell us: did the warmer, drier air behind last night's MCS boundary result from a conventional heat burst (collapsing convection) or from the outflow simply advecting in drier air from the northwest?

post-104-0-59311900-1341054143_thumb.jpg

IMBY here in Dahlonega we hit 100.1 yesterday which is the first 100+ I've seen since I moved north of ATL in 2001. This also tied the Dahlonega record of 100 for 6/29 which was set back in 1936 and was also the warmest day in Dahlonega since 1980 when we hit 101.

For today (6/30) the Dahlonega record is 100 which was set in 1952. I think that will be matched or fall today also. The all time Dahlonega record is 103 also set back in 1952.

Wow, you didn't see triple digit heat during the August 2007 heatwave? :huh:

Wow, you didn't see triple digit heat during the August 2007 heatwave? :huh:

You know your question caused me to go back and review my data more carefully and in fact on 8/22/07 I did hit 100.5 for about 10 minutes. So I fixed my previous post as I was going off my sorry butt memory. LOL. I guess that 10 minutes of fame was not enough to cause it to stick in my brain.

Not sure if I'm going to get some relief, but were heading up to Curtis Creek in the Pisgah NF and finding a nice water hole to hang in for the day....and probably roll up to Mt. Mitchell later in the day.

We hit 105° yesterday and the forecast today is the same...

Not sure if I'm going to get some relief, but were heading up to Curtis Creek in the Pisgah NF and finding a nice water hole to hang in for the day....and probably roll up to Mt. Mitchell later in the day.

We hit 105° yesterday and the forecast today is the same...

Curtis Creek or Buck Creek will feel very good on a day like today.

My oh my! 106.7° on my pws imby. It is sun aided but still it has to be 100° out there. Really hot for the mnts. this afternoon. Wind has gone from the NW to WSW in the last couple of hours & that did the trick i guess.

The KAVL airport hit 97 yesterday, just 1 off the record and 3 off the all-time record. My forecast several days ago was for 97 and I revised it yesterday to hit 98. All in all, I'm pleased with that!

Today, we have stubborn clouds again. But, I think the record of 95 will fall today. Probably won't break the all-time record though.

Not only did I see the temperature bump up several degrees when that dry boundary came whizzing through here, check out the dewpoint crash that resulted -- a lowered dewpoint that never really recovered all night. (See attached image.) As a result, my morning low was quite a bit cooler than forecast. I woke to find 70 degrees on my back porch, not upper 70s as expected.

Maybe some of the mets can tell us: did the warmer, drier air behind last night's MCS boundary result from a conventional heat burst (collapsing convection) or from the outflow simply advecting in drier air from the northwest?

This is a good read from a similar type of event that happened out in KS.

http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=17809&format=html

Archived