Newest Member
    SnowHabit
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

95/74 at CHS airport this hour.

KCHS DP's have been continually rising all day still nonetheless, KCHS might still have a legit chance to tie the 99 record provided winds do not veer to southerly (seabreeze). Better soil moisture has indeed played a part thus far in not accelerating the temperatures like in the Midlands and Upstate today

bigsfc.gif?1340999227039

Man, I'm glad I don't live in Columbia, SC!! 108??!! I was born there, but fortunately my parents had the good sense to move away when I was two.

I hit 102.3 on my Davis Vantage Vue this afternoon around 2:15 with a max heat index of 116. The temp has since fallen to around 98 and there are spotty clouds in the sky. I took the wife and the kids up to Blowing Rock, NC, today and we puttered around on the parkway for awhile, went hiking, had a picnic, saw a waterfall, and mostly avoided the hellacious heat that's back here at home. It was really weird, though, to experience temps around 90 up at 3500+ feet.

How is Atlanta's all-time high higher than Columbus' all time high ? Columbus is almost always hotter than Atlanta in the summer.

I wonder if it's because they tend to have higher humidity due to their location to the south of us, and have a tough time reaching over 100 due to that.

It's certainly a dry heat here in ATL with dewpoints down to the mid 50s. PDK is at 102, while Athens is at 106 with a dewpoint of 47!

How is Atlanta's all-time high higher than Columbus' all time high ? Columbus is almost always hotter than Atlanta in the summer.

Hey, I just work here. :) No, that has certainly been true in recent years. I believe they may have moved the Columbus ASOS to a different part of the airport. I can check on Monday with the ETs.

SUPPOSEDLY (according to the Met who has been here 20+ years), the all-time record high, 106, in Columbus was September 5, 1925. However, that was before the official records were kept at the airport, which started in 1946. The other was from Uptown (downtown, yes it's backwards...) Columbus. He refers to 104 as the "modern" all-time record high...

So, take that for what it's worth.

Archived