amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uncertainty and persistence are the two main keywords of this winter. imo no "forecast" from several days ago was much more than an educated guess (if that). the qpf bomb with half rain and half snow seems to be more or less off the table tho stranger things have happened. and phineas is sort of right.. just stating a storm will not be great around here is not saying a whole lot without plentiful backing. but that can go back to persistence this winter. this is perhaps like the opposite of 09/10 where it snowed at every real opp... something goes wrong at every real op. but if you're truly forecasting there is little reason to choose one side and stay there until the end especially in the face of contrary evidence.

Instead of crying in my wheaties, I'm just gonna rely on the fact that we're praying for a n jog and not battling an awful rain snow line to the north. After all the crappy little events this year, I think I would prefer to get whiffed than to sit and watch flakes melt on contact or within 15 minutes.

This is good solid weenie rationalization and I highly recommend it.

You have to think if the NAM holds this run that maybe the OP Euro is not correct. I know the Euro is king but a red tagger in SE thread mentioned inside 72 it's not as "kingy"...now I am using words that don't exist...I got nothing... and will be nowcasting with the rest of you on Sunday

You have to think if the NAM holds this run that maybe the OP Euro is not correct. I know the Euro is king but a red tagger in SE thread mentioned inside 72 it's not as "kingy"...now I am using words that don't exist...I got nothing... and will be nowcasting with the rest of you on Sunday

This is true. Let us see if the NAM folds or holds steady. I would love the Euro to be wrong for once.

I don't buy the southeast shift in the models at all. We saw that yesterday the NAM, GFS, and Euro shifted south at the 12Z and 18Z runs, but shifted right back north at 0Z. I'm not going to model hug the forecast, and I will keep the map I created this morning until the shift back doesn't happen. I'm going to sit back and watch the models flop south then north tonight, and not alter my forecast at all until I know that I have to.

I don't buy the southeast shift in the models at all. We saw that yesterday the NAM, GFS, and Euro shifted south at the 12Z and 18Z runs, but shifted right back north at 0Z. I'm not going to model hug the forecast, and I will keep the map I created this morning until the shift back doesn't happen. I'm going to sit back and watch the models flop south then north tonight, and not alter my forecast at all until I know that I have to.

You should consider changing it. While the models shifted the precip N&S yesterday, they didn't shift the 850 track south. That happened today. Right or wrong, seeing the slp track off the nc coast and be further s&e with all 12z guidance is something that cannot be overlooked or discounted.

Archived