amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Baroclinic does not seem to agree with him and outside of Wes i trust him the most, so i will wait to head to the 14th st bridge until tomorrow.

Actually I did agree with him, we just had slightly different thoughts on why the tracks/development were slightly different.

In the big scheme of things, that we are even sitting here discussing 30 mile differences with a system of this magnitude 60 hours out given the current atmospheric state is incredible, and it is a nod to numerical modeling and human ingenuity. As for you, I wouldn't worry about jumping off bridges, 2-4" seems pretty darned legit for portions of NOVA including DC, really the bigger question is the higher amount potential.

It looks pretty realistic and normal, and honestly, while folks may want to "lock" onto a solution, that just doesn't happen with systems like this when they have such a GOM tap. Grossly too much latent energy available here, and the final solution of this system will move around like this since the GFS/NAM/GEM/UK/and ECMWF will all be dependent upon the activation of sub-grid convective schemes and how they develop that DMC...which is not necessarily something that will be well handled by the deterministic guidance.

So the more knowlegeable the expert, the reticent to pretend they know what the final solution will be...at this time.

Trace to eight" seems safe.

Funny, how people would be panicking if the NAM wasn't on board. We got the NAM, and remain on the northern fringe of a weaker GFS. I remain optimistic for at least another hour, but if we don't get any love or north trend on the Euro, think the writing will be on the wall

Funny, how people would be panicking if the NAM wasn't on board. We got the NAM, and remain on the northern fringe of a weaker GFS. I remain optimistic for at least another hour, but if we don't get any love or north trend on the Euro, think the writing will be on the wall

Don't think so, but I don't know so.

So the more knowlegeable the expert, the reticent to pretend they know what the final solution will be...at this time.

Trace to eight" seems safe.

You clearly know nothing about weather forecasting or have ever even given it a try. I have not seen one iota of relevant weather discussion from you here so your comment is a bit unusual.

Weather forecasting techniques are highly dependent upon who the customer is, what the relationship is, and what it is they want. I used to forecast for road DOT's (UT DOT), and they wanted yes/no calls 2 days in advance to make personell decisions. The ability to make such calls was highly dependent upon having a solid customer relationship where they understood trust in us was going to end better for them in the long run. We may very well be wrong on occasion (weather is always right, not us!), but they will both save money and time by putting full trust in us.

In public forecasting, it is a completely different ball game consisting of threats and impacts. It is not prudent to make yes/no calls 60 hours out when 30 miles can mean the difference between heavy snow and nothing. Hedging and making realistic calls combined with what the potential impacts/timing are is the way to approach the situation with full understanding of what might go wrong. The public does not understand weather like individuals who work in various weather dependent industries do, so we approach the situation differently. Were I forecasting for this event at the local office, I would make light of the potential for periods of heavy snow as well as moderate snow accumulations, timing, and potential road travel impacts. The potential for heavier snow exists and is dependent upon convective development. As a good forecaster, you don't flip-flop run to run like some of you weenies do, and we make the best predictions on what will occur given the atmospheric pattern/setup which includes impacts that are probability driven.

You clearly know nothing about weather forecasting or have ever even given it a try. I have ntot seen one iota of relevant weather discussion from you here so your comment is a bit unusual.

Weather forecasting techniques are highly dependent upon who the customer is, what the relationship is, and what it is they want. I used to forecast for road DOT's (UT DOT), and they wanted yes/no calls 2 days in advance to make personell decisions. The ability to make such calls was highly dependent upon having a solid customer relationship where they understood trust in us was going to end better for them in the long run. We may very well be wrong on occasion (weather is always right, not us!), but they will both save money and time by putting full trust in us.

In public forecasting, it is a completely different ball game consisting of threats and impacts. It is not prudent to make yes/no calls 60 hours out when 30 miles can mean the difference between heavy snow and nothing. Hedging and making realistic calls combined with what the potential impacts/timing are is the way to approach the situation with full understanding of what might go wrong. The public does not understand weather like individuals who work in various weather dependent industries do, so we approach the situation differently. Were I forecasting for this event at the local office, I would make light of the potential for periods of heavy snow as well as moderate snow accumulations, timing, and potential road travel impacts. The potential for heavier snow exists and is dependent upon convective development. As a good forecaster, you don't flip-flop run to run like some of you weenies do, and we make the best predictions on what will occur given the atmospheric pattern/setup which includes impacts that are probability driven.

LOL, we just can't win.

This winter has screwed the entire US besides Alaska and portions of TX/Colorado front range, so you aren't alone. At least you have a storm to track there.

Everyone hates us already B_I. Did you need to rub it in just a little more...?...:P

Archived