Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SN

32.5/32

accumulating on all surfaces here in Rindge, estimating about 0.5" so far

Impressive gradient along that band. I'm just to your southwest and at the time you posted I was out clearing the driveway a bit. It was 37-38 and you could see the sun. Finished up and turned around to head in when BAM wind gusted to 35-40. Within minutes the skies clouded up, and it started to snow. 31.7 now, sn- to sn and accumulating on everything except the more exposed pavement.

+IP/RN and a few rumbles of thunder

That stuff arrived in AUG about 2:30, lasted till 3. Thought I heard thunder (wasn't really listening at first), but the second time I heard the noise, I realized it was snow sliding off the slate roof across the lawn and hitting the ground 50' below. Barometers around the area are 980-85, should make for some wind with the CAA. ME/NH mts have WWA for 3-6" and near white-outs, foothills 2-4" w/o advisory. MBY typically does poorly in these sort of CAA-burst events, probably gets some downsloping from the taller foothills N & W.

looks like pete is just missing out on the heavy snow action about 3-5 miles to his N and Nw

It was time for me , MPM and the Franklin Co. weenies to cash in. It ripped snow here from 12:30 to 2:30.

Winter wonderland out there right now. I'm going to walk the dog and take a few pics.

This is the Greenfield I remeber from when we moved here - snow when the southern Valley has nothing.

My wife worked in Amherst and Northampton and said it was sunny and pleasant tis afternoon. lol

Temp is down to 29 and roads are slick.

It was time for me , MPM and the Franklin Co. weenies to cash in. It ripped snow here from 12:30 to 2:30.

Winter wonderland out there right now. I'm going to walk the dog and take a few pics.

This is the Greenfield I remeber from when we moved here - snow when the southern Valley has nothing.

My wife worked in Amherst and Northampton and said it was sunny and pleasant tis afternoon. lol

Temp is down to 29 and roads are slick.

How much did you get?

it's not a whiteout if you can see something

Q16. What is a "White-Out?

"A16. 'White-out' is the term used often to describe any condition during snowfall that severely restricts visibility. In the Glossary of Weather and Climate published by the American Meteorological Society, a whiteout is defined as "an atmospheric optical phenomenon of the polar regions in which the observer appears to be engulfed in a uniformly white glow as a result of a lack of contrast between an overcast sky and an unbroken snow cover. Neither shadows, horizon, nor clouds are discernable; sense of depth and orientation is lost; dark objects in the field of view appear to "float" at an indeterminable distance."

it's not a whiteout if you can see something

True but its pretty damn disorienting up on the mountain. That was in the base area, on the mountain when the wind blows, you really can't see anything.

You should come up and enjoy some snow. I'm sure its been rough in New Jersey. Even BTV is ripping 1/2sm vis moderate snow this evening. Its always nice to see the "heavy snow" icons out there.

What did you total today?

2" here but snowed all day so I was in weenie heaven.

B'East must've done well, too bad I can't get up there until sunday.

My wife said she thought we picked up another 4-5". I'll know for sure when I get home tomorrow night. Family ski day on Sunday at the B'east maybe I'll see you.

holy sh*t that was amazing drama yesterday

i dont know how much it snowed but it was pouring snow here in northern vermont switching over from rain, pretty much a whiteout going up to St albans from BTV and just ridiculous snow....maybe about 7-8 inches in sheet like fashion after everything flash froze over.

my first experience with vermont winter, loved it!

Archived