Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a much bigger issue tonight with the lingering moisture. After fropa, the air dries as it colds so there will be icy spots but it probably won't be so deceptive.

I agree...look at the temps on the mesonet map...many are close if not below 32° in a lot of places. It looked like a lot of zones only have lows around 34° so I hope that gets looked at.

I left my ice scraper at home (forget why I took it out).

My car was the only one left in the lot at school. The plows had cleared around it, and I spent 15 min clearing it off.

My wife figured 4-5" at Gardner, but she is no weenie. I wish we had posters from there and Winchendon. There is one from Templeton who rarely posts. One from Barre, who must live near a volcano, because his totals tend to be way lower than mine. Subdude is in Westminster, then you and I

For a little while there was someone in Royalston

My brother lives in Gardner and has an account, but posts less I do... :axe: He is in a very busy stage of life. I'm trying to get my friend from Princeton to start posting. He lives on Rhodes Road right near the Harrington Farm and WaWa. It would be nice to get a better network up here.

I left my ice scraper at home (forget why I took it out).

My car was the only one left in the lot at school. The plows had cleared around it, and I spent 15 min clearing it off.

My wife figured 4-5" at Gardner, but she is no weenie. I wish we had posters from there and Winchendon. There is one from Templeton who rarely posts. One from Barre, who must live near a volcano, because his totals tend to be way lower than mine. Subdude is in Westminster, then you and I

For a little while there was someone in Royalston

You probably got at least 4.5"...I had 4.1" at the high point and was hammered down to about 3" of snow/sleet/ZR combo by this evening.

We have a light glaze of ice from this mist or freezing drizzle and the temp has dropped another degree since earlier in the evening when it first started glazing again after our fairly brief rise above freezing this afternoon. Down to 30.3F. 00z NAM had temps slowly falling overnight into the upper 20s for the hills and even parts of the CP N of BOS...NWS must be wrestling with the thought of an advisory for light icing.

We have a light glaze of ice from this mist or freezing drizzle and the temp has dropped another degree since earlier in the evening when it first started glazing again after our fairly brief rise above freezing this afternoon. Down to 30.3F. 00z NAM had temps slowly falling overnight into the upper 20s for the hills and even parts of the CP N of BOS...NWS must be wrestling with the thought of an advisory for light icing.

We are at the same temperature here in Concord, even though you have about 900 ft of elevation on me!

We are at the same temperature here in Concord, even though you have about 900 ft of elevation on me!

There seems to be be some good drainage of cold air occurring along that portion of 495 anda little inside it. A lot of mesonet sites in the Westford/Littleton/Ayer/Bolton have crept under 30F.

I've got about 10" IMBY. I don't remember ever ending up with the jackpot. The snow was surprisingly dry, and I never did see any pingers. I guess this makes me part of "the 1%" in this weird winter. :snowman:

Tomorrow could be interesting. GYX mentions possible lightning along with the wind, and seems to be leaning colder.

Congratulations, folks!

Part of the issue near PWM was with the coastal front. That enhanced the snow i think..along with the better overall synoptic moisture.

I had a gf in Portland in the 1991-92winter. I once left Boston in upper 40s and rain and arrived in heavy snow which ultimately dumped 11 inches. Same setup. Snow hit as soon as I was just south of the Hampton tolls.

Yeah that was modeled well. Enjoy.

And you explained it very accurately, too--thanks!

I had a meeting down in West Hartford yesterday afternoon. Quite a change of conditoins from snow covered roads here to a slushy Rt 2, to a well treated 91 but a few inches of snow as I headed through Deerfield. Once I got to Northampton south, things began lessening. No sign of snow anyhere once I got to Springfield and that thwas the case the rest of the way down. The return trip was much more inviting as the conditoins steadily 'winterized'.

Part of the issue near PWM was with the coastal front. That enhanced the snow i think..along with the better overall synoptic moisture.

Correct, It satyed just offshore so it helped them out, Usually it moves in form the waters to over the coastal communitys and thats when i do real well as long as it does not push to far nw over me....lol

This upper level low should be fun with wind, graupel/ZR/IP mix going to whiteout conditions. We are 30F at both 4,000ft and 1,500ft so I'd assume sleet or at the very least ZR when it starts. Looks like the snow line is gaining on the start of preciptiation so time of mix or rain should be relatively short (maybe an hour or two).

Obs from NY State are pretty impressive with moderate to heavy snow when it switches over and there's some QPF in that... ASOS are ticking at 0.15-0.2" per hour out near Syracuse, Fulton-Oswego, and Watertown. ART should be changing over soon if they haven't already. Snowing on the Tug Hill now.

Archived