amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I know...I'll deffinitely take 2.5" and run. Yesterday I was nervous I may not see any snow...after I saw saw the nam.

Yeah...it still amazes me that he only averages 7" more then me though. I know its only 2 years of sample but the past 2 years its gone:

09-10

Will: 69"

me: 57"

10-11

me: 88"

will: 98"

Seems low

Seems low

It was 88.7"...and its possible it could be 2-3" low mostly from the storm a year ago today where I measured 17.5" and most reports were 19-20"...other then that, my totals matched up pretty well with reports.

In 09-10 Matt (mablizzard-other side of town, same elevation) kept totals too and he came up with 57.9" and I had 57.7" so that was nice to have confirmation. Last year he was off at college part of the year so I don't think he has a total for his BY.

8" reported in Kennebunk. Nice, about triple what they were probably expecting today. Can't wait to see other updated totals.

Kind of a rollercoaster today. Thought we were gonna get maybe 3", then it overperformed, but NWS went a little too far on the 8-10", to then scale it back to 5-8". Haven't been home, but based on what I'm hearing locally, I'll bet we get ~6".

Kind of a rollercoaster today. Thought we were gonna get maybe 3", then it overperformed, but NWS went a little too far on the 8-10", to then scale it back to 5-8". Haven't been home, but based on what I'm hearing locally, I'll bet we get ~6".

6" would suit me. I'm about to brave the mean streets of SW Maine. Abandon hope, all ye who enter.

6" would suit me. I'm about to brave the mean streets of SW Maine. Abandon hope, all ye who enter.

About 4" in AUG, maybe, with very small flakes at present. Not much more to come unless that big north-moving offshore patch of 40 dbz holds together and is flakes rather than pingers (or worse). Looks like the home front got some +SN 2-3 PM, but I doubt I'll find much more there than here - heading north in 5-10 min. Biggest storm of the winter, though, and first real "midwinter" cold due over the weekend, so it's all good.

I'll tell you part of the problem....meso scale models can be great, and they can suck. They are run at a finer resolution, so any false depiction of a feature and the errors can really cause problems. So if the model was off with lift, or it progged the dynamics as rather diffuse and disorganized, it may have caused too much warming.

And we know which one of the two it was on this storm.

Archived