• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

Wow. Pretty cool. LOL, funny we joked about how the euro was giving those amounts if you believed the output. It had like 0.25" QPF as snow by 12z I believe..on the 11/00z run. I never thought you would get 4.1", yesterday. Shows how things go right when you have some key features in place. Good steady lift, cold high pressure..and the mid levels a little cooler than progged.

I'm just glad I never totally bought into the NAM...it def had me concerned. If I had totally bought it, my forecast would have been terrible...instead I only busted a little bit low.

If you look at almost every over performer on front end thumps...they have a high up where we had it this morning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad I never totally bought into the NAM...it def had me concerned. If I had totally bought it, my forecast would have been terrible...instead I only busted a little bit low.

If you look at almost every over performer on front end thumps...they have a high up where we had it this morning.

It bothers me the NAM did that bad..and the SREFs. I'm glad we questioned it...well especially you since you had to forecast.

I have been following this event just because I needed something to follow. It looks like it overperformed in some areas models often underestimate thumps.

So congrats to all who can no longer complain they had a snowless winter, which is actually my favorite part of a snowless winter. So I'd be pissed if I had one crappy storm like this. I'm not sure if 06-07, and 01-02 might have been worse at this time. I don't remember all the nickle and dime events from those years. 1994-1995 was pretty bad also up until February.

just under one inch left here 32.4 so i think most of it will stick around unless tomorrow torches still cant believe the other side of my town is bare that really doesnt happen to often i can only think of a couple other times

Big disparity out your way, I had about an inch on the ground here (still white) and when I hit Palmer to Forest Park it was bare ground, once I got up to Granby and Belchertown it was white again.

Congrats on getting up to 10% of your normal snowfall so far this winter.

I would take 5% of his annual snowfall and be happier than a pig in S**T. Life is all about perspective. Plus i am so bored right now i am praying i get a snow squall tonight with the frontal passage.

29/29, freezing drizzle. 6.25" for the event. Hoping to add some fluff over the next 36 hrs. Nice write up from WxmanMitch on the upslope/frontal passage possibilities.Skiing was awesome as you might expect. Big day tomorrow ski ski ski.

Congrats Pete!!! Looks beautiful man, so so jealous, you should get 1-3 tomorrow night I would imagine, and the good stuff the fluffies pillow type snizzle/

Enjoy the wintery weekend! Some big changes coming later next weekend, you are going to love it! Big Big winter incoming baby:)

ORH airport came in with 3.6" this evening...not far off from my 4.1".

There were some really sharp gradients with this. We had virtually nothing at work, and Lowell looked like they had close to an inch. That's only like 8 miles west. It may not sound like a big deal to people, but usually Andover and Lowell are very similar. That little bit inland helped. Supposedly Sudbury had 2" and Natick had virtually nothing. Those two places aren't far away either.

5.0" at home with snow/sleet falling. I'm rather disappointed in the total, thought it might be a tad more. Poor snow growth FTL.

Id be willing to bet you had 6 inches there. The compaction with this storm was very noticeable at my house and I noticed Will mentioned something about it to. Peak depth was just under 5.5 inches and I had gone out to measure again just to see and it had gone down the better part of an inch in only a couple hours with no rain just a little sleet.

Congrats Pete!!! Looks beautiful man, so so jealous, you should get 1-3 tomorrow night I would imagine, and the good stuff the fluffies pillow type snizzle/

Enjoy the wintery weekend! Some big changes coming later next weekend, you are going to love it! Big Big winter incoming baby:)

Haven't looked at LR yet tonight, busy clearing snow. Let me guess, some model shows a torch. Whatever. This storm was supposed to be a rainer according to you and the other misguided warministas. Your team is a shambles, they might not make the playoffs again....ever.

There were some really sharp gradients with this. We had virtually nothing at work, and Lowell looked like they had close to an inch. That's only like 8 miles west. It may not sound like a big deal to people, but usually Andover and Lowell are very similar. That little bit inland helped. Supposedly Sudbury had 2" and Natick had virtually nothing. Those two places aren't far away either.

Yeah and around here, elevation obviously helped...but even the N/S gradient must have been really tight at same elevation since the snow/sleet line was rotting over southern Worcester for good time this morning while the snow was falling hard. I imagine places like Millbury and Sutton just to the south of ORH got like 2 inches or maybe even a little less.

Archived