wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read Wes's column...he mentions this and every other factor as well of course.....though I wonder if he won't have to be slightly more bullish for places in Upper MOCO and Loudoun tomorrow....

http://www.americanw...bout-the-storm/

Tomorrow, Jason probably will do the article but we'll talk about putting out a map with accumulations if warranted. I might not have been bullish enough but it's October and we're still over 36 hrs from the event.

Is anyone above 800-1000'?....elevation will probably matter a lot

My neighborhood in Damascus has hill tops at 800+ feet. Many have mentioned Sugarloaf Mt. (1,200') which is a favorite hiking spot of mine. There is a nice winery at the base of the Sugar Loaf Mountain on Comus Rd. They open around 2:00pm. It is a nice place to end a day of hiking.

why dosent this stuff happen in Dec or January

I have mentioned this before....In NIna we get better/anomalous storm tracks early and late season....I wish I would have done the CWG outlook 2 weeks ago, because I would have mentioned this exact scenario as the way IAD could do better this winter if they do better.....Once we hit mid DEC to Early Feb, assuming Nina really kicks in, the northern stream becomes a monster and this scenario gets shunted out to sea or strung out or cuts west and redevelops to our north if at all....we can do ok in mid winter, but we will probably need to thread the needle( Jan 2000) or somehow get the PAC to cooperate when we have blocking (70-71).....Maybe we will all bust and NIna won't be a big factor but I doubt it

I have mentioned this before....In NIna we get better/anomalous storm tracks early and late season....I wish I would have done the CWG outlook 2 weeks ago, because I would have mentioned this exact scenario as the way IAD could do better this winter if they do better.....Once we hit mid DEC to Early Feb, assuming Nina really kicks in, the northern stream becomes a monster and this scenario gets shunted out to sea or strung out or cuts west and redevelops to our north if at all....we can do ok in mid winter, but we will probably need to thread the needle( Jan 2000) or somehow get the PAC to cooperate when we have blocking (70-71).....Maybe we will all bust and NIna won't be a big factor but I doubt it

It's funny, I was thinking of doing an article prior to the season on the ingredients it takes to get a major snowstorm and why nina years are tougher for that to happen than nino years but delayed doing it and now we've already have a threat.

Tomorrow, Jason probably will do the article but we'll talk about putting out a map with accumulations if warranted. I might not have been bullish enough but it's October and we're still over 36 hrs from the event.

Good writeup!

With an event you kinda have to toe the line a bit because it's just so anomalous...even if the guidance stays the same, it will still come down to a nowcasting situation of where accumulating snow may occur on saturday...

early in the thread I posted the CFS daily Enso forecast and it seems to be backing down some on the Nina fwiw

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfs_fcst/images3/PDFcr_nino34SSTMon.gif

there's always hope

Good writeup!

With an event you kinda have to toe the line a bit because it's just so anomalous...even if the guidance stays the same, it will still come down to a nowcasting situation of where accumulating snow may occur on saturday...

Thanks, I think you do. Sometimes like in 2009-2010 it pays when you try to be a hero but usually being conservative is a smarter bet in marginal situations. I also left it open that it could end up being worse than what we're calling for now.

From ze blog:

In the southern edge of the snowfall accumulation, surface temperatures are expected to remain too warm for accumulation of an inch or more. Some higher elevations (above 800 feet) just south of the one inch cut off could scrape out a dusting to an inch of accumulation. Weak warm air advection N/NW of the surface low is expected to keep the lower levels warm enough to prevent most of the accumulation in southern and central NJ and northeastern Delmarva.

20111029_MAsnowInitial.png

I decided to go with a 50/50 split between the latest (12z) GFS and ECMWF operational models. The NAM seems to be out to lunch with this system, as most other models agree with what the GFS and ECMWF put on the table.

It's funny, I was thinking of doing an article prior to the season on the ingredients it takes to get a major snowstorm and why nina years are tougher for that to happen than nino years but delayed doing it and now we've already have a threat.

we will see what happens, but whatever occurs, it will make a nice lead in to the Winter outlook which will probably come out next week...I should have a draft done by Saturday.....I still kind of think our biggest event in the heart of winter 12/15 - 2/15 will be a K/U type storm that doesn't hit us flush...maybe a Miller B that really nails NYC and/or Boston but we back our way in enough to get a decent hit....I hope if we get a nice 4-8 or 6-10" event that it isn't bittersweet for people if places outside our area get 12"+....I think it will probably have more to do with the models than anything.....a lot of posters seem to think that if the models show a big event at some point and then back off closer in, that somehow the event underperformed....

I hope you write that article. I am sure we all would enjoy it.

Most realistic thing I've seen so far.

Snow.is.not.going.to.accumulate.in.DC.or.immediate.suburbs.in.October.

...We now return you to your regularly scheduled space bar.

The fact is it is 62 degrees right now. The temperature has not been below freezing in over half a year. Snow will not stick, except for maybe a mini-dusting on the grass. I know weenies posting GFS maps on facebook right now trying to say "seeeee-- we're gonna get half a foot!!!"

:axe::axe::axe::axe:

Having said that, seeing moderate snow fall in October, stickage or not, is really nice.

The fact is it is 62 degrees right now. The temperature has not been below freezing in over half a year. Snow will not stick, except for maybe a mini-dusting on the grass. I know weenies posting GFS maps on facebook right now trying to say "seeeee-- we're gonna get half a foot!!!"

:axe::axe::axe::axe:

Having said that, seeing moderate snow fall in October, stickage or not, is really nice.

that's not really true if you get rates.. but the snow maps spit out of the models are surely silly in most cases.

Archived