Newest Member
    bowsunski
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad this isn't 3 weeks later....

That's what I mentioned to Jason. If it were we'd be in for pretty good snow as the vort track, surface, 850 are really nice looking. It's just the time of year and the low level temps that mess things up. Too bad there is the lag between the sun and the cooling of the atmosphere.

Looking at the ECMWF-- it matches the GFS in my area in southern VA, h85 low forms JUST to my south and we sit on the "warm" side of 0c for much of the even. Need that to nudge E 100 miles or so. Not likely-- and hope the other factors such as BL temps work out. I think it's a big event from the NRV NE along the Blue Ridge-- NW corner of my county is 3k feet-- they will do great.

That's what I mentioned to Jason. If it were we'd be in for pretty good snow as the vort track, surface, 850 are really nice looking. It's just the time of year and the low level temps that mess things up. Too bad there is the lag between the sun and the cooling of the atmosphere.

yes....you have an interesting column for later.....I wonder if/where there will be accumulation.....the sun angle is the same as about February 14th.....I think it would have to be heavy snow to stick on the warm streets...but it should stick to decks, grass, etc, if heavy enough and 34 or lower i would imagine

yes....you have an interesting column for later.....I wonder if/where there will be accumulation.....the sun angle is the same as about February 14th.....I think it would have to be heavy snow to stick on the warm streets...but it should stick to decks, grass, etc, if heavy enough and 34 or lower i would imagine

It needs to get in the mid 30s....maybe even 35 would do it. The sun isn't the problem its that in October there is way less cold air around to tap than Feb. Intensity matters alot. The sounding had areas where the temp and dewpoint followed the moist adiabat which if you got enough lifting might argue for getting convection. They didn't however show an unstable layer that I could find around our area but it wouldn't take too much change to the thermal structure to get one.

Just curious, this is an unusual setup for late oct to say the least. Water temps off the atl coast are 60-65. Air temps are potentially going to be in the 30's. Pretty big temp diff and I assume pretty strong baroclonic zone. How well do models interpret this into their solutions?

A 30+ degree temp difference is pretty big compared to many winter storms that pop off the coast N of the gulfstream areas close to obx.

I'm probably just being a weenie but I wonder if the system evolves as depicted on the gfs/euro, could it potentially deepen rapidly and be more dynamic that what is modeled? That is probably the only thing that could help our area get any measurable snowfall given the marginal cold air source.

have you looked at soundings for your backyard?.....are you too far west?

Can't look at much, since I'm at school. Just happens to be testing day.

From what I can surmise here, looks like the precip came west. I don't know temps, rates, or soundings back in my area. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Edit: GFS data on MeteoStar looks pretty good for my area, but that's only precip, 850 and surface.

i dont know exactly where that is, but i'd be down to chip in if it looks like it will happen.

Super easy to get to. Up 270 to route 121 and only about 5-6 miles off the interstate. Hike starts close to the top. Only have to go up 400' to hit the top. Should make for some good pics with the leaves and all.....well, only if it actually snows....

edit- route 109 exit 22 is closest.

Super easy to get to. Up 270 to route 121 and only about 5-6 miles off the interstate. Hike starts close to the top. Only have to go up 400' to hit the top. Should make for some good pics with the leaves and all.....well, only if it actually snows....

edit- route 109 exit 22 is closest.

i think i've been by it before.. on the way to HGR etc. i don't know much about places outside the immediate area not having a car.

why dosent this stuff happen in Dec or January

Archived