Newest Member
    bowsunski
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gfs nailed this 2 weeks ago.... Unreal

Don't know about its precip amounts, but to a large extent this is true. Reminds me of the tropical system that came up the east coast earlier. It wasn't spot on with the track, but I swear it had that storm for what seemed like a month before it happened.

gfs sniffs it out in long range, euro dials it in, in median range while the gfs loses it only to find it back in short range

gfs_namer_324_850_temp_mslp_precip_s.gif

GFS_3_2011101512_F336_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

thats sick Mildo..it even had the right day and track and everything. And people laugh when i post the 384 gfs

GFS soundings for BWI show that any transition from rain to snow would be between 18 and 21z (probably closer to 21z). 18z sounding is above freezing from about 880mb and below (although not by much and even has one small subfreezing layer near 950mb). 21z sounding is essentially about freezing down to around 975mb...that would be a snow sounding, maybe mixed with drizzle if the precip is light. Obviously precip is shutting off at this time as well. Lots of good UVVs at 18z, so hope for dynamical cooling.

Could be a few mangled flakes mixed in with the rain. I can't believe folks are buying into this.

This.

For no other reason in that it always take a near perfect culmination of positive factors for us to get a snow event in the best of conditions in the middle of winter. And we know what can happen with that also.

So Philly is getting 8" of snow Saturday?....I don't think so.

I'm rooting to see some flakes, however, but not counting on it.

Could be a few mangled flakes mixed in with the rain. I can't believe folks are buying into this.

Still going to need some help outside elevation tho hard to say the trend is not toward some sort of flakeage perhaps most spots. I do think that people get overfocused on a track and "explosiveness" without actually examining the atmosphere. We can get a heavy cold rain at 39.

Wow...12z GFS went WAY cold for Sunday morning lows. Maybe it's "seeing" it's own forecast snowcover on our area? But has temps in the 20s Sunday morning for most of us.

Nice! Our 6" will stick around for a while. Sledding on Sunday.

Jokes aside, it's nice to see a setup like this regardless of time of year. This is one of the few ways to get a snowmaker in the MA during a Nina.

I know it's aways off but the ao and nao are forcasted to drop into decent neg territory at the end of the first week of Nov. We could be in for some frosty mornings coming up soon. The NAO has been pretty much neutral since the middle of august.

Wow...12z GFS went WAY cold for Sunday morning lows. Maybe it's "seeing" it's own forecast snowcover on our area? But has temps in the 20s Sunday morning for most of us.

I think 28 is the coldest min for October for DC if I remember correctly. That would be impressive if we got into the 20. Hope Monday moderates some.

Archived