joxey
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes:

dude why even post that?

if nothing else people should at least read back to see maps that have already been posted. we need to be a little more careful when there are 100+ in a thread not to have it fly 400 miles an hour.

Yeah but it seems like 1 out every 4 posts has a clown map. Maybe I'm overreacting, sorry.

My apologies, figured prefacing it with "clown map ftw" made it obvious I wasn't taking this seriously. It's October, its ~60 degrees outside, and a computer model has us getting a foot of snow. Of course it won't happen, and probably nothing even remotely close to it will. But it's still... unusual. That's all.

My apologies, figured prefacing it with "clown map ftw" made it obvious I wasn't taking this seriously. It's October, its ~60 degrees outside, and a computer model has us getting a foot of snow. Of course it won't happen, and probably nothing even remotely close to it will. But it's still... unusual. That's all.

I should apologize, I overreacted, IE9 can't handle all the photos so at least hoping not to see the same image posted 8 times per page :P

Those clown maps use 10:1 ratios I believe. As Ian mentioned, you'd be looking at more like 5-7:1 with the expected thermal profile. PSU Hoffman storm last year had 6:1 ratios.

Do all free ones do that or are there any that have other variables? I saw one from StormVista that was considerably lower if not half lower (8" max stripe running up just east/west of DC). I suppose I'm not necessarily a fan of those maps in the heart of Jan/Feb anyway though! But we have certainly seen a lot of them in this thread...

Well you should know by now - people post all models. We've seen the KMA, JMA and Brazillian in the past.

Before this thread runs out and we go to Ian Disaster 2: what is the policy on model run threads ? It used to be a tradition of these boards. Is it frowned on now with the growth of the group ?

I think if you have a model thread when we have something to track, you can contain all most of the images in one place.

That one dropped 14 inches here.

Yeah, and there was about 2" of liquid equivalent.

Do all free ones do that or are there any that have other variables? I saw one from StormVista that was considerably lower if not half lower (8" max stripe running up just east/west of DC). I suppose I'm not necessarily a fan of those maps in the heart of Jan/Feb anyway though! But we have certainly seen a lot of them in this thread...

Maybe some are more sophisticated than others. But from what I've seen, they're usually pretty close to 10:1.

As you know, snow accumulation is such a fickle thing, even more so with marginal conditions like this. Any sort of clown map has value only marginally above entertainment.

Before this thread runs out and we go to Ian Disaster 2: what is the policy on model run threads ? It used to be a tradition of these boards. Is it frowned on now with the growth of the group ?

I think if you have a model thread when we have something to track, you can contain all most of the images in one place.

This storm sorta creeped up early of course. I think a model thread separate from a forecasting/tracking/obs type thread would be great personally. Sometimes you want one or the other and not a giant mishmash. We're still too wedded to superthreads...

18z GFS ensemble mean is TOO wound up for us.

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12048.gif

Probably would end as snow.

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12060.gif

Being objective to the situation, if you're someone who wants snow you take the positive that the storm is going to really deepen and bring its own cold air in, now all you want is a bit of a "re-correct" back to the east. Just for fun, I'll be staying up for the 00z's since the Caps-Oil game starts after 9:30.

I dunno if its too wound up... looks like snow at least to the BR and west at 48... changing over as you get to I-95. Too bad we can't see 54

Those maps are difficult to gauge since they are 12 hr precip. The 0c line does back up pretty far though it seems and of course that's not the rain snow line unless you're a few thousand feet in the air. For the lower elevations we really need perfection. So pray to the NAM god all evening.

Archived