joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen the maps yet but mos shows lots of precip with temps about 36-38 and 850 temps in the -2 to -3 range. This is for next weekend

it does show accumulating snow around here

the Wunderground maps have a snowfall option

but it's too early around these parts for anything of legit consequences; NE is another story

Good to see your great contributions to this thread.

You should go somewhere and admonish people for talking about weather on a weather board.

it's like 5-6 days out--that's not even usually worth much in january. how long have you lived here?

it's like 5-6 days out--that's not even usually worth much in january. how long have you lived here?

Longer than you have. Much longer.

My point was that even at 5 to 6 days out, I would watch it and be much more interested if it was the week leading up to December rather than November. This is a weather board. We talk about weather. Short term, medium range, long range, etc. Ji made a thread and I commented on the situation. Not sure why that garners an "lolz", it wasn't the equivalent of "OMG OMG, we should start monitoring this impending snowstorm NOW. Snowfall maps? Mets how much do you think we'll get!?"

My point was that even at 5 to 6 days out, I would watch it and be much more interested if it was the week leading up to December rather than November. This is a weather board. We talk about weather. Short term, medium range, long range, etc. Ji made a thread and I commented on the situation. Not sure why that garners an "lolz", it wasn't the equivalent of "OMG OMG, we should start monitoring this impending snowstorm NOW. Snowfall maps? Mets how much do you think we'll get!?"

Sometimes it's hard to tell from your posts.

It's just going to be a really long winter if we're starting out like this. Maybe we need a realists thread. The whole "it's a weather forum" is kind of a copout. I'm not going to use it to make terrible posts nonstop.

How much do you think we'll get?

:P

The models have been showing a "coldish" stormy system around this weekend for a long time now. I can remember it showing up on the GFS when it was in the 10+ day range. It seems to be up in the air, since one is showing precip and the other (GFS) being dry.

12z runs are big.................. ( I just couldn't help it).

Actually, I hope the upcoming two weeks ends up much warmer. I'm not ready to lose my landscape flowers to a freeze. With all this rain, they're perfect right now.

Sometimes it's hard to tell from your posts.

It's just going to be a really long winter if we're starting out like this. Maybe we need a realists thread. The whole "it's a weather forum" is kind of a copout. I'm not going to use it to make terrible posts nonstop.

relax Ian. The thread isnt hurting anyone. Its the first time this year that a model has shown snow for us...thats worthy of some discussion. I dont see any terrible posting. Nobody is forecasting a snowstorm. If the best model in the world shows a snowstorm 6 days out...why not discuss it. after all, it is a weather forum:)

relax Ian. The thread isnt hurting anyone. Its the first time this year that a model has shown snow for us...thats worthy of some discussion. I dont see any terrible posting. Nobody is forecasting a snowstorm. If the best model in the world shows a snowstorm 6 days out...why not discuss it. after all, it is a weather forum:)

Yesterday (2 days ago?) in OT I mentioned how you seemed to be getting better about not starting model-specific threads... I was wrong :P

It'd be much nicer to see a thread titled after an event rather than a specific model run, especially since the discussion usually evolves past the specific model run, anyway... but that's just me.

Wx-wise, there's no reason to buy the snow accumulation possibilities with this system. Getting snow in the air is plausible, but accumulating it is going to be very, very difficult.

*EDITED for clarity

earliest i remember seeing accumulating snow is Nov 11,1987. Earlier i remember seeing snow fall is Columbus day....

October 1979 was the earliest in the DC area that I can remember. Most years with real early snows haven't been that good to us. You didn't disappoint by starting the thread. Maybe I'll get to post something on CWG about it.....lol. Still it's a little early until JB or Henry start hyping it, then I'll get to talk about how unlikely it is to verify.

im relaxed.. the simple fact is that snow discussion is typically about the worst discussion on the board as far as broad ranging quality goes. it might be nice to start off on a better foot.

October 1979 was the earliest in the DC area that I can remember. Most years with real early snows haven't been that good to us. You didn't disappoint by starting the thread. Maybe I'll get to post something on CWG about it.....lol. Still it's a little early until JB or Henry start hyping it, then I'll get to talk about how unlikely it is to verify.

Nothing is more nasty than shoveling snow with leaves at the very bottom messing up the beauty of the white snow.

Heh, a threat is a threat and that is pretty much why this board and it's predecessors exist.

I just like seeing it on the models. Will it verify? Highly unlikely. However, if a low did ride the coast and gave us cold rain while the apps picked up snow I'd be pretty happy.

this type of storm almost never hits us well.. not to mention it's october. no reason not to discuss at all somewhere it but if ji starts spitting out multiple model threads and stuff.. well that might be an issue.

Archived