wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the 18z NAM looks so pretty... it likely overcorrected to the EXTREME. If the 18z GFS looks like the 18z NAM, I may take a closer look.

That would be a one in a million years storm IMO. Though we did have like a once in a 1000 year flooding event around here in September... and a once in a long time (over 500 years?) earthquake near 6.0 in August... so why not another once in a lifetime event in October to continue the trend? :lol:

Consider what we have seen here in the DC region this year already - highs in the 105 degree range, incredible rainfall, 20 inches just in September alone.

Also consider the extremes in the southern Plains, Austin Texas with THREE MONTHS of 100 plus weather

Extremes are the norm this year.

Why not an extreme anomalous snow event for the I95 corridor two months early?

Last year, I only had 5.5" or so and lost power due to tree damage.

I'm assuming that 5.5" was after the leaves had fallen, or I suppose the damaged trees might have been evergreens. Then I'm guessing that 3 or 4 inches of wet snow on leaved trees would be a problem.

October 10, 1979. The last time a decent snowstorm hit the Shenandoah Valley in October. It is rare but it does happen. I think Dulles even got over an inch with this storm.

That's a cool picture, and although I can't speak for Dulles, we got a decent covering in Largo, MD, from that storm. And for the tree-huggers, even that did some damage to some shrubs and even the smaller trees.

Consider what we have seen here in the DC region this year already - highs in the 105 degree range, incredible rainfall, 20 inches just in September alone.

Also consider the extremes in the southern Plains, Austin Texas with THREE MONTHS of 100 plus weather

Extremes are the norm this year.

Why not an extreme anomalous snow event for the I95 corridor two months early?

just wait till we get paid back with like 3 years of total boring

f48.gif

Amped and Juiced, Just how I like it. I'm going by the 540dm line for rain snow. Forget my earlier post I believe most areas will see some snow falling out of the sky. Accumulation is another story. If the storm moves offshore in a more easterly direction we have a better shot at wraparound and more areas may see accumulation. The time of day may make it rough though.

Archived