wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the NAM come aboard (although I'm a bit shocked at how bullish it is) really adds some confidence in at seeing at least some flakes fall. The euro hasn't wavered. The GFS came right around. Now the previously out to lunch NAM is seing the same thing as the globals. That + the fact that we are less than 72 hrs away is really something. Anybody sleeping tomorrow night?

Seeing the NAM come aboard (although I'm a bit shocked at how bullish it is) really adds some confidence in at seeing at least some flakes fall. The euro hasn't wavered. The GFS came right around. Now the previously out to lunch NAM is seing the same thing as the globals. That + the fact that we are less than 72 hrs away is really something. Anybody sleeping tomorrow night?

While the 18z NAM looks so pretty... it likely overcorrected to the EXTREME. If the 18z GFS looks like the 18z NAM, I may take a closer look.

That would be a one in a million years storm IMO. Though we did have like a once in a 1000 year flooding event around here in September... and a once in a long time (over 500 years?) earthquake near 6.0 in August... so why not another once in a lifetime event in October to continue the trend? :lol:

While the 18z NAM looks so pretty... it likely overcorrected to the EXTREME. If the 18z GFS looks like the 18z NAM, I may take a closer look.

That would be a one in a million years storm IMO. Though we did have like a once in a 1000 year flooding event around here in September... and a once in a long time (over 500 years?) earthquake near 6.0 in August... so why not another once in a lifetime event in October to continue the trend? :lol:

models don't overcorrect....it can be wrong...but it has no memory of its past solutions. Snowman.gif

It just seems too implausible to verify like that, the likelyhood of even a dusting seems low in my opinion at least inside the beltway. And frankly I don't want the large majectic trees around here to crumble.

As for sleep it depends whether or not we're in for accums, I'm not staying up to watch a few wet snowflakes.

This is what I imagine being addicted to drugs is like. I'm telling myself over and over that I don't want to see any snow that would be considered heavy, but, you guessed it, I'm sitting here hanging on every word, every model, subconsiously hoping it does. Sickness is the only word that can describe this. And if it somehow is like this until Mid-March, I'd saying marriage counseling will be the hot topic issue around here.

Yes, I am. I won't even stay up until the GFS.

Oh I hear ya, NAM solution = no way no how. But, coming to basic same setup @ 500 and 850 is pretty cool. It seems pretty likely that the 500 vort will track where we want it and coastal development to follow. Could be a nice dynamic storm. 65 degree water off the MD/VA coast should be a good contribution to an overall nice setup.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how much accumulation would cause significant tree damage?

3" of the snow-type progged on the NAM would be enough to bring down some limbs. I have a hunch we aren't getting anywhere near 3" along the I95 corridor S of the MD/PA line. It's an un-scientific hunch, too anamolous.

Archived