Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,542
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    happyweather
    Newest Member
    happyweather
    Joined

May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!


weatherwiz
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Question of possibility of tornado/micro burst in the Griswold/Sterling area late this morning crossing I-395

I drove through the area and didn't notice anything. 

 

ResizedP_1716511920691_330182508904512.gif

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Dews near 70. Feels like July out there.

It’s an excellent night. Feels great outside with some nice cumulus adding to the sunset. 

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Here we go!  Gfs op first tropical threat of the season :lol:

gfs_z500_vort_atl_58.png

I know we kid but the time period mid June might be conditionally favorable for our first legit spin up looking at long range. Fits climo too. 

15 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Question of possibility of tornado/micro burst in the Griswold/Sterling area late this morning crossing I-395

Got a number of follower pics and videos showing legit severe. It’s been eastern CT’s season so far lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s an excellent night. Feels great outside with some nice cumulus adding to the sunset. 

I know we kid but the time period mid June might be conditionally favorable for our first legit spin up looking at long range. Fits climo too. 

Got a number of follower pics and videos showing legit severe. It’s been eastern CT’s season so far lol. 

Yeah, it wouldn't be unusual at all, especially within a potentially active/hyperactive season. Atlantic basin SST's are charming as well. :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey old buddies!

pummeling thunderstorms around DC and Frederick early morning hours and afternoon

270 south of Frederick   Md limbs down and leaf splatter covering lanes and two trees down.  Left lane had  some  kind of washout and was closed 

Harrowing for Ho**rd!

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Hey old buddies!

pummeling thunderstorms around DC and Frederick early morning hours and afternoon

270 south of Frederick   Md limbs down and leaf splatter covering lanes and two trees down.  Left lane had  some  kind of washout and was closed 

Harrowing for Ho**rd!

Howard!   Great to hear from you!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like a microburst 

Yeah was looking back at radar scans as that cell was ongoing yesterday and didn't see anything indicating a potential TOR. There was the nice look of "red velocities next to green velocities" but when in motion, they looked to be more divergent than rotational and I didn't notice any big CC drop. Also, the reflectivity signature looked more indicative of straight-line wind versus tornado. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Getting a little Steiny here. Looking forward to a little rain. The watermark sensor is up to 45cb. I’m not used to being over 25cb.

Min 53…refreshing 

Maybe you won't have to wait too long should this p.o.s. end up being the settling state

eps_z500a_nhem_61.png

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah was looking back at radar scans as that cell was ongoing yesterday and didn't see anything indicating a potential TOR. There was the nice look of "red velocities next to green velocities" but when in motion, they looked to be more divergent than rotational and I didn't notice any big CC drop. Also, the reflectivity signature looked more indicative of straight-line wind versus tornado. 

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Another follower in the area (also on that post) reported trees down on three sides of their property in a circular fashion. 

Some intense stuff either way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Another follower in the area (also on that post) reported trees down on three sides of their property in a circular fashion. 

Some intense stuff either way. 

Wow that's wild. 

Sometimes with these you can get very brief circulations right along the leading edge, certainly possible something could have very briefly touched down. Maybe it is one of those infamous Kevin tree topper TORs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sneaky diurnal range contender today...

Refreshing 53 for a low and it's 80 after an explosive morning temperature response to this ultra purified air really allowing max insolation.  To rise 27 F before 10 am is impressive.

Probably we'll hit the bounce temperatures sooner than normal ... but, there's a dry boundary coming down this afternoon backing the the light wind from W to more NW, which is some d-slope compression too.

As an aside, this is the lowest smoke contaminated atmosphere at continental scales that I personally recall since 2020

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Wow that's wild. 

Sometimes with these you can get very brief circulations right along the leading edge, certainly possible something could have very briefly touched down. Maybe it is one of those infamous Kevin tree topper TORs.

You missed it?  Were you selling :weenie:s at a baseball game again? :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...