• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

17 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

they were brutal on saturday when I was doing yard work. They don't give a shit about the bug repellent I sprayed on my head 5 times.

Yep, got two in the eye today.

21 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

they were brutal on saturday when I was doing yard work. They don't give a shit about the bug repellent I sprayed on my head 5 times.

Pfff. Bug repellent.

Do your yard work in the rain. Problem solved.

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Marginal risk tickling my fanny for Wednesday!

4 hours ago, yoda said:

And high risk in Oklahoma and Kansas today

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

oh wow...yeah I see the MCD

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Avelo has flights from New Haven to St Louis now for around $150 round trip. You can rent a car with the damage deductible for less than that in STL as well.  Tons of cheap motels spread out across the Midwest.  Get out there and chase. 

Wiz, maybe you'll get to see something like this:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if we'll ever see a high risk any further east than what we saw 5/31/98. The only way it ever happens if there was a legit signal for a derecho to rip across NY/PA and SNE (or NY across NNE). We would never see a high risk for tornado probs, one reason being the spatial size of our geography is just too small. I wonder what the outlook was for 7/15/95. 

IIRC, ‘98 was the mod risk day? Was 2011 a slight risk?

2 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Would 1953 have warranted a high risk?

Not as familiar with our severe history but what a monster.

xOSNY80.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What always amazes me with tornadoes is that severe damage can occur 100 feet away and leave you unscathed. 

Meanwhile on a much tamer note I'm up to 68.1F as of 2pm.  So close to my first 70F.   Will I make it today or tomorrow or have to wait another week?  

62.4F. No 70 here today

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if we'll ever see a high risk any further east than what we saw 5/31/98. The only way it ever happens if there was a legit signal for a derecho to rip across NY/PA and SNE (or NY across NNE). We would never see a high risk for tornado probs, one reason being the spatial size of our geography is just too small. I wonder what the outlook was for 7/15/95. 

7/10/89 would be interesting too

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

IIRC, ‘98 was the mod risk day? Was 2011 a slight risk?

Not as familiar with our severe history but what a monster.

xOSNY80.jpeg

5/31/98 featured a high risk but that was mostly NY/PA although I think the high risk may have tapped into Berkshire County/Litchfield County.

6/1/2011 I believe was Slight. I believe probs were 5% tor and 30% wind.

12 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

7/10/89 would be interesting too

I would guess that probably would have been a moderate. Although with the number of tornadoes which occurred that day at least, if that degree of tornadoes was anticipated it may have elicited a 15% hatched tornado which would qualify for high risk.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

5/31/98 featured a high risk but that was mostly NY/PA although I think the high risk may have tapped into Berkshire County/Litchfield County.

6/1/2011 I believe was Slight. I believe probs were 5% tor and 30% wind.

I would guess that probably would have been a moderate. Although with the number of tornadoes which occurred that day at least, if that degree of tornadoes was anticipated it may have elicited a 15% hatched tornado which would qualify for high risk.

1989 was a moderate risk.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F03e226e4-6102-4b98-876d-024dfb43d1a0_838x1321.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I don't think there is any repellent of any kind that works on them. 

Maybe @tamarack knows some old school concoction..

Old Woodsman works, though it also can keep one lonely due to its aroma.  When the black flies are having a monster season, nothing works for long.  In 1996 at Deboullie (25 miles SW from Fort Kent), Ben's 100 lasted less than an hour and I quit applying after the 2nd coating - slathering 100% DEET every hour might be a health issue.  Even on Deboullie Pond 500 feet from shore I was getting hammered; maybe not enough airspace over the land?  Usually, black flies turn the bloodsucking over to deer flies when the temp gets past the middle 80s, but that year the little beasts kept biting in 90+ sunshine.  And of course, nothing works for deer flies, though I've heard that flaming kerosene helps, also remaining under water.

• Haha 1