• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4/2-4/3 Significant Late-Season Snowstorm (WI/MI)

Somewhere in northern Marquette County is probably going to see 4 feet of snow.  Latest NAM isn't backing down on the insane totals like you'd normally see as an event gets closer.  12z to 18z upped my total from 44 to 50 inches with pretty much 10:1 ratios.  I'm as prepared as I can be.  Going to be an interesting 36 hours.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c4898b1d124ad4e6fb4eb43dbc07a403.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Somewhere in northern Marquette County is probably going to see 4 feet of snow.  Latest NAM isn't backing down on the insane totals like you'd normally see as an event gets closer.  12z to 18z upped my total from 44 to 50 inches with pretty much 10:1 ratios.  I'm as prepared as I can be.  Going to be an interesting 36 hours.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c4898b1d124ad4e6fb4eb43dbc07a403.jpg

Post lots of pics.  Would love to find a good webcam up there.

• Like 1

We fully switched over to snow about 2 hours ago. It has been heavily coming down since, with probably 1-1.5 inches or so accumulation so far on grass. Green Bay officially has us at 8-12" for snowfall, with 12-18 further N. What an escalation considering 48 hours ago we were talking snow showers. It's going to be a long night here in Green Bay.

• Like 3

The difference between heavy snow and 30 degrees and heavy snow and 33 or 34 degrees is huge imo. I actually kind of hate snowstorms where the surface temp is above freezing. It feels like you “waste” a lot of snow to melting but at the same time it sticks to everything and causes tree damage and power outages. 

55 minutes ago, roardog said:

The difference between heavy snow and 30 degrees and heavy snow and 33 or 34 degrees is huge imo. I actually kind of hate snowstorms where the surface temp is above freezing. It feels like you “waste” a lot of snow to melting but at the same time it sticks to everything and causes tree damage and power outages. 

Jan 12, 2024

DTW 1.04" precip, 4.6" snow, temps 33-34

White Lake NWS 0.70" precip, 7.5" snow, temps 31-32

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Jan 12, 2024

DTW 1.04" precip, 4.6" snow, temps 33-34

White Lake NWS 0.70" precip, 7.5" snow, temps 31-32

I think it was Jan 2006 where there was a night where it snowed for about 10 hours and literally none of it stuck. lol. It was just light snow but the temperature was around 35 the entire time it was snowing.

Another one that I remember is April 2000 I think it was. There was a winter storm warning but none of it stuck that day although it snowed the entire day. It didn’t help that it was April but it was in the mid 30s the entire day. The following night, it dropped down to about 30 and we got a coating of snow on the grass.

• Like 1

It's been pretty gnarly so far here in GRB. We had thundersnow about 2 hours ago that I unfortunately did not hear. The wind has really picked up and we have I would say 3-4" on the ground. I think we have transitioned back to mix here as well though, although it is hard to tell. If we have transitioned back to mix, that could cut down on our totals however. Either way it is a slushy mess outside rn.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2024 at 7:32 PM, weatherbo said:

Every time there's a big late season snow, the "Mother's Day" storm of 1990 always comes up.  I believe Negaunee received 24 inches and apparently was all melted by late afternoon the following day.

Didn't you have a big one last year on Mayday? Record snow for May I thought.

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

Didn't you have a big one last year on Mayday? Record snow for May I thought.

Yes, May 2nd and 3rd just under 3 feet fell.  It was a very damaging storm tree wise.

Been coming down heavy all night.  Just glancing out, from what I can see looks like at least 10 inches has fallen.  Point has up to 24 more in total with the morning AFD stating another 10-12 possible by early afternoon. Winds have been gusty but nothing out of hand, at least here. 

Stoked the fire, gonna go back to bed for a while lol

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

about time for the severe and summer posters to carry the subforum until the flakes return next halloween

Happy to do it, just need something to talk about that doesn't mostly go belly-up on the day (fortunately for the OH/IN/KY area, though).

In the meantime, feel free to rewatch my Keota video. :lol:

3:08 - 3:38 - 30 seconds is what it took to go from a little tendril of condensation curling around the top of the funnel, to that massive collar cloud that would crown the wedge stage.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Happy to do it, just need something to talk about that doesn't mostly go belly-up on the day (fortunately for the OH/IN/KY area, though).

3:08 - 3:38 - 30 seconds is what it took to go from a little tendril of condensation curling around the top of the funnel, to that massive collar cloud that would crown the wedge stage.

That really is a once in a lifetime chase. Rivals any footage I've ever seen 

• Thanks 1

Think we got about 3” yesterday and about .5” overnight.  But it’s all turning to slush.  Expecting an inch or maybe 2 today but rates should be much lower. Ready for this to be over 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, madwx said:

Think we got about 3” yesterday and about .5” overnight.  But it’s all turning to slush.  Expecting an inch or maybe 2 today but rates should be much lower. Ready for this to be over 

Quietly those seasonal snow totals getting up there. 41.3"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Never gets old. I've watched it many times. Good job and trophy catch.

• Thanks 1