• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4/2-4/3 Significant Late-Season Snowstorm (WI/MI)

I figured this needed it's own thread at this point. So the models over the last 24 hours have really come into agreement that tomorrow into Wednesday across Wisconsin and the UP. Some models like the 18z have over 20 inches (!) of snow on the Ledge by this time Wednesday afternoon, and it's still snowing. Which is absolutely insane. There's also the potential for up to 50mph gusts during this event as well. And with the lake being completely open and warm for this time of year, there is a decent chance of lake enhancement off of Green Bay. If that happens, then the sky is the limit for potential in the Fox Valley with this storm in my opinion. 

image.thumb.png.12b78905b33abb439f711315fe3d271b.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

The 18z runs all seem to be holding their ground. Really sucks for me in Alpena as that bullseye was over my area in MI for 5 days on global models,then they shifted west last night big time. Mesoscale models continue east tho. Dare I hug the NAM ect??? Lol The rug might have been pulled one last time on me this snow season. Should be an interesting storm to nowcast!

Screenshot_20240401-175702.png

Have a shot at getting the most snowfall since mid January.  All it has to do is make it to 0.4" to beat the 0.3" we received Feb 16th.  

The timing of the most intense snowfall may time up right for accumulation potential down this way, as the heaviest rates look to arrive before sunrise Wed morning.  Up to a slushy inch looks possible on grassy/elevated areas.

A good chunk of models have 2-3 feet of snow by Thursday noon.  RAP pretty aggressive with 3 feet at the end of its run and still snowing. Seem to get these high qpf/wet snows every April.  Last year nearly 3 feet fell May 2nd and 3rd. If all goes according, this will push me over the 150 inch mark. Still around 100 inches below average however.

snku_acc-imp.us_mw.thumb.png.0a657b0dc18720699fd769a0648b6e11.png

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

A good chunk of models have 2-3 feet of snow by Thursday noon.  RAP pretty aggressive with 3 feet at the end of its run and still snowing. Seem to get these high qpf/wet snows every April.  Last year nearly 3 feet fell May 2nd and 3rd. If all goes according, this will push me over the 150 inch mark. Still around 100 inches below average however.

Seems like these late seasons snows always produce some very heavy wet snows in feet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I like to see this as it will help get the UP and northern WI with the Drought situation.

image.png.2dbbdb1501ca9e42254795ef528032b2.png

It does seem like the some of the biggest storms lately have been Spring. 

2 of the 5 years I live in the UP they had major Snowstorms April and May. 

Biggest was May 10, 1990 which closed NMU summer classes for the first time ever for snow.  Driving home from MTU a couple weeks late we could still see snow piles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Have a shot at getting the most snowfall since mid January.  All it has to do is make it to 0.4" to beat the 0.3" we received Feb 16th.  

The timing of the most intense snowfall may time up right for accumulation potential down this way, as the heaviest rates look to arrive before sunrise Wed morning.  Up to a slushy inch looks possible on grassy/elevated areas.

Might as well.  Let's do this and then move on to spring!! ;)

3 hours ago, Imneversatisfied said:

The 18z runs all seem to be holding their ground. Really sucks for me in Alpena as that bullseye was over my area in MI for 5 days on global models,then they shifted west last night big time. Mesoscale models continue east tho. Dare I hug the NAM ect??? Lol The rug might have been pulled one last time on me this snow season. Should be an interesting storm to nowcast!

Screenshot_20240401-175702.png

Definitely frustrating to see the models so off on placement for so many days, but the sting is definitely less in spring.

59 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I like to see this as it will help get the UP and northern WI with the Drought situation.

Biggest was May 10, 1990 which closed NMU summer classes for the first time ever for snow.  Driving home from MTU a couple weeks late we could still see snow piles.

Every time there's a big late season snow, the "Mother's Day" storm of 1990 always comes up.  I believe Negaunee received 24 inches and apparently was all melted by late afternoon the following day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Every time there's a big late season snow, the "Mother's Day" storm of 1990 always comes up.  I believe Negaunee received 24 inches and apparently was all melted by late afternoon the following day.

It definitely melted quickly but not that quickly.  I recall the highest unofficial reports being 27" The storm was all over the UP news reports.

https://www.weather.gov/mqt/May1990Snowstorm30thAnniversary

I remember it well.  It was on a Thursday.  Friday afternoon/evening we were on the Breakers Beach playing Frisbee and volleyball and a bonfire of course.  It was in the 60s.

• Like 1

Everyone have fun that got surprised by the last minute west shift on this one,was really hoping for a big dog here in Alpena. Green Bay might steal it. Looking like 1-3" thru Thursday. Maybe the NAM will still reel this one in (shows 6")? Lol The heaviest precip comes thru in the middle of the night so that's a positive I guess. Still grasping at straws for colder than forecasted temps,dynamic cooling effect,an east,south shift, or some lake enhancement with the strong NE winds. I really wanna ride my sled one last time lol

7 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

12z NAM has 44 inches here. :lol:  

Geni ready to go, tractor gassed up, firewood stocked, roast cooking.  Still need to run to town for a few things as I imagine roads out this way will be impassible for a couple days with tree damage.

Enjoy! Looking like a lil fun here in Alpena around midnight per mesoscale models. Fingers crossed for snow! Models are also showing a possible nice wrap around snow band Wed night here.

Screenshot_20240402-103806.png

16 hours ago, Lightning said:

Yeah these places need precip so even though it will be coming as heavy snow it is very welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

12z NAM has 44 inches here. :lol:  

Geni ready to go, tractor gassed up, firewood stocked, roast cooking.  Still need to run to town for a few things as I imagine roads out this way will be impassible for a couple days with tree damage.

Get pictures of this if it comes close to verifying.

• Like 4

Forecast for Ishpeming and Negaunee is wild af

Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly after 2am. Low around 29. Blustery, with a northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 9 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 32. Breezy, with a northeast wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 17 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 10pm. Low around 30. Blustery, with a north wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow showers likely, mainly before 8am. Patchy blowing snow before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Breezy, with a north wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Cold,rainy,windy night for me. Could have have been a hell of snow storm... This one's going to leave me burned for awhile...

Tonight
Rain. Patchy fog between 11pm and 2am. Low around 36. Windy, with an east wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

At 1.8 inches of rain by 2 PM.  First time I’ve seen standing water in the fields in a long time.  

Switched to snow w/ slushy accums.  My eyeballs can’t see us getting 4-7” b/c it’s so warm but it is coming down pretty heavily so maybe after sunset things will pick up. 

• Like 1