Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

48 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

West is best…

Ill invert that. many of the smaller East Coast ski areas have 100% snowmaking to see them through warm periods.

Out west they are totally dependent on natural snow. Too big and not enough water for snowmaking.

In the warm winter world of the future, you will see skiing at small resorts on the East Coast where lower Western resorts shut down.

Put in the books…

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It took basic pattern recognition to realize that this was never a storm in terms of snow for us, and would be dicey in SNE but a fairly small shift would’ve kept it interesting along I-90. There’s as usual no preexisting cold to speak of, it’s another storm packed with moisture and the SE ridge is trying to make it cut as much as it can. Even if there’s a NAO block, we’re in trouble with the mega SE ridge. And oh by the way, it’s April. 

And this -NAO has consisted of record daily strong -NAOs Mar 31 through today with another record for the date expected tomorrow. Daily records go back to 1950.

6 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Ill invert that. many of the smaller East Coast ski areas have 100% snowmaking to see them through warm periods.

Out west they are totally dependent on natural snow. Too big and not enough water for snowmaking.

In the warm winter world of the future, you will see skiing at small resorts on the East Coast where lower Western resorts shut down.

Put in the books…

In theory yes...but they lose the casual skiier who goes when there is snow in their backyard...some resorts note their best days are when there's a snowstorm in the I95 corridor.  Their expenses are also higher to make snow vs get some natural snow-some of the local CT places have had 25% of annual snow fall last 3 out of 4 yrs...

23 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Put in the books…

Problem is those warm periods are accompanied by wash-outs which make the conditions in the East pretty poor.   Can't really see how in a warmer future snowmaking helps a small East coast resort overcome the elevation advantage and proximity to the pac moisture the west has.   Last couple years were anomalously bad but Belleayre isnt out-snowmaking Breckenridge.

Mt. Holly has issued a special weather statement for a wake low which is producing strong winds to 40 - 50 mph across eastern PA and northern NJ.  This is going to be incoming for you in the NYC area.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1238 PM EDT Wed Apr 3 2024

NJZ001-007>009-PAZ054-055-060>062-101-103-105-031745-
Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-Lehigh-
Northampton-Western Chester-Western Montgomery-Upper Bucks-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, Reading, Allentown,
Bethlehem, Easton, Honey Brook, Oxford, Collegeville, Pottstown,
Chalfont, and Perkasie

...Strong Wind Gusts with a Passing Wake Low Early this
Afternoon...

Isolated strong easterly wind gusts near 40 to 50 mph have
developed on the back side of the ending heavy rainfall early this
afternoon. This is in response to a wake low passing across the
area. These wind gusts may result in some isolated instances of
tree damage or power outages. Use caution and take shelter indoors
if sudden strong wind gusts develop in your area.

$$

Staarmann

• Like 6

Just now, coastalplainsnowman said:

For a short time, definitely a teeny tiny frozen center in the precip pelting my windshield about 45 min ago.  

Thought it was just me.  I've been noticing that on my window in Linden, NJ all day.  Interesting, the temperature is in the 40s all the way to the southern point of Hudson Bay, yet in the mid 30s in the Catskills.  Based on that simplistic observation, I wonder if this WAS January, and there was actual REAL cold air to the north (unlike the past many winters), that this system couldn't potentially produce snow in the NYC metro area?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Mt. Holly has issued a special weather statement for a wake low which is producing strong winds to 40 - 50 mph across eastern PA and northern NJ.  This is going to be incoming for you in the NYC area.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ

NJZ001-007>009-PAZ054-055-060>062-101-103-105-031745-
Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-Lehigh-
Northampton-Western Chester-Western Montgomery-Upper Bucks-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, Reading, Allentown,
Bethlehem, Easton, Honey Brook, Oxford, Collegeville, Pottstown,
Chalfont, and Perkasie

...Strong Wind Gusts with a Passing Wake Low Early this
Afternoon...

Isolated strong easterly wind gusts near 40 to 50 mph have
developed on the back side of the ending heavy rainfall early this
afternoon. This is in response to a wake low passing across the
area. These wind gusts may result in some isolated instances of
tree damage or power outages. Use caution and take shelter indoors
if sudden strong wind gusts develop in your area.

$$

Staarmann

Recent gust to 35 mph at my inland location with this feature.  I suspect you who are in the NYC area will really see your winds crank as this feature comes through.

10 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Thought it was just me.  I've been noticing that on my window in Linden, NJ all day.  Interesting, the temperature is in the 40s all the way to the southern point of Hudson Bay, yet in the mid 30s in the Catskills.  Based on that simplistic observation, I wonder if this WAS January, and there was actual REAL cold air to the north (unlike the past many winters), that this system couldn't potentially produce snow in the NYC metro area?

It's such a deep 500mb system that it's likely if there was a true arctic airmass in place we would have snow in Jan.

At the current setup now translated into Jan...still unlikely on the Coastal Plain.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The wind from the wake low is reeking havoc here. Siding off houses etc.

I am humbled (yet again) by the term "Wake Low".  Seems I have been away from meteorology too long...

• Like 1