• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Following a Miller A/B hybrid type coastal potential, Feb 13th ... As yet untapped potential and a higher ceiling with this one

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I was just thinking about that today, i could have swore when i was in school in the late 90s and early 2000s we never saw cancellations until the morning of, like 5AM. Almost never. Cancelling the day before a storm seemed like it was recent thing to me.

It's definitely recent, within the last 5 years. My kids will be home tomorrow and probably won't even be able to go sledding... Sad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Yup. I grew up in West Hartford and went to school in the 90's and 2000's. 

1. West Hartford hardly ever cancelled...I mean ever. Hell, it was a blessing if we either had a delay or an early dismissal. 

2. There is only one time I distinctly remember it happening. I was in middle school (so sometime between 1999-2002) and we had two days cancelled in a row. Its funny because it was supposed to be a very large storm (I think a two part) and it kind of busted. I think in total we got around 8'' or something...maybe it was 10.

3/01?

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

1. West Hartford hardly ever cancelled...I mean ever. Hell, it was a blessing if we either had a delay or an early dismissal. 

2. There is only one time I distinctly remember it happening. I was in middle school (so sometime between 1999-2002) and we had two days cancelled in a row. Its funny because it was supposed to be a very large storm (I think a two part) and it kind of busted. I think in total we got around 8'' or something...maybe it was 10.

I remember waking up early in the early 90's  and watching the bottom of the screen hoping to see Agawam closed lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I guess I'm getting old - we had t wait for Bob Steele to read out the names in the 70's on the radio every half hour.  That was the only source.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

3/01?

That sounds about right. 

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

I remember waking up early in the early 90's  and watching the bottom of the screen hoping to see Agawam closed lol

Yup...those were good times. My mom used to listen to the radio in the morning so I would lay in bed and listen to the them go down the list. It used to piss me off so much because Hartford used to close constantly and West Hartford wouldn't. Granted though...back then West Hartford did a helluva job cleaning roads. Hartford sucked. You would tell what streets separated Hartford from West Hartford because you would go from perfectly clear road to can't see pavement in the span of 5 feet :lol: 

• Haha 1

Just now, Connecticut Appleman said:

I guess I'm getting old - we had t wait for Bob Steele to read out the names in the 70's on the radio every half hour.  That was the only source.

They did that until a year or so ago. LOTS of complaints when they did away with it... but local radio has been cut to the bone financially 

2 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

The model shifts are surprising on their own.  What seems even more surprising is how confident NWS was in their forecast prior to the shift.  This was not a low confidence forecast late morning today.

Yeah thats what makes this particular event seem rather unprecedented for the modern era. At least since the turn of the century. I can't think of another time where they got it this wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That sounds about right. 

Yup...those were good times. My mom used to listen to the radio in the morning so I would lay in bed and listen to the them go down the list. It used to piss me off so much because Hartford used to close constantly and West Hartford wouldn't. Granted though...back then West Hartford did a helluva job cleaning roads. Hartford sucked. You would tell what streets separated Hartford from West Hartford because you would go from perfectly clear road to can't see pavement in the span of 5 feet :lol: 

It was this, never gets old @The 4 Seasons lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Yeah that what makes this particular event seem rather unprecedented for the modern era. At least since the turn of the century. I can't think of another time where they got it this wrong.

I mean who can really blame them. The big models were all on board for several runs and then at 12Z they got the rug pulled out.

Maybe this will make it less likely that in the future they cancel everything the day before. But this does seem pretty unprecedented.

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That sounds about right. 

still the same here b/w Fairfield And Bridgeport....