• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

Just talked to my wife she said it has snowed all day but never heavy. She said it's pretty light right now looks like over an inch on the grass with the pavement mostly wet with some slushy edges. Pretty good update I'd say. As far as where I am -2 degrees feels exactly like that :shiver:

• Like 3

Alright, the first part has been cute, but I’m ready for the steadier/moderate.

In other news, the creek next to the Three Saws trailhead is flowing to the point that it’s basically not passable on foot unless you want to hop logs, which I wasn’t feelin’. Think a trip to Baker Park is in the cards later.

• Like 1

Just now, high risk said:

Traffic maps across the region look far worse than I expected to see during the daylight hours on a holiday.   Likely to look much worse when the sun sets and rates increase.

Cold ground will do that 9.9/10 times. This isn't some event where it was 50 and sunny yesterday and we're waiting on rates to cool everything off. 

• Like 3

Just now, nj2va said:

Just wait til my clumsy ass goes out for a jebwalk now. :weight_lift:

I was walking through the battlefields in Gettysburg yesterday and a sidewalk had a half inch of ice that was as smooth as glass covered by a half inch of fresh snow on it.  It nearly killed me!  :lol:

Also, might have finally surpassed an inch here!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This was at about 1:30pm. Snow has been a consistent, light rate pretty much since then. Nothing super heavy and only the usual first-caving surfaces are covered, but real pretty. I haven't done measurements, probably still under an inch on the deck. 
IMG_7703.jpg?ex=65b81acb&is=65a5a5cb&hm=a73c4d4c513f810f715d9d95d0ee2c77a537484a25cb6905f0639f92fba5cb81&

Using the HRRR 1hr frame and flipping back, seems like we're verifying colder each hour! Maybe this light consistent snow is helping bring things down. I'm optimistic roads and sidewalks will cave fast and with better temps for ratios and a surprise head start, I think we can surprise to the upside!

• Like 10