Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We are a really streaky area for whatever reason. Long droughts followed by multiple condensed events is far more common than smooth evenly spaced winters. Prob magical thinking but imho, getting a nice event last night is a sign that Fri will work out "ok". My expectations are it will never look worse than 1-3 in general leading in and even though boom ingredients are largely absent, maybe it finds a way anyway just cuz. 

The Bob Chill magic is strong this winter

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We are a really streaky area for whatever reason. Long droughts followed by multiple condensed events is far more common than smooth evenly spaced winters. Prob magical thinking but imho, getting a nice event last night is a sign that Fri will work out "ok". My expectations are it will never look worse than 1-3 in general leading in and even though boom ingredients are largely absent, maybe it finds a way anyway just cuz. 

It's not rational on my part, but...had in mind that the area-wide hit yesterday/evening/overnite was really important to remind the atmosphere that we are here and that it can snow here too. Like, once it remembers that, it can do it again. Like I said, not rational, but...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It's not rational on my part, but...had in mind that the area-wide hit yesterday/evening/overnite was really important to remind the atmosphere that we are here and that it can snow here too. Like, once it remembers that, it can do it again. Like I said, not rational, but...

Train tracks are real. How and why and where they set up is beyond my abilities but they certainly happen all over the place. I never ignore my gut. I bust big like anyone but on the balance, my gut knows more than my conscious brain and I never ignore it. I'm feelin good for some snow on snow Friday. 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Train tracks are real. How and why and where they set up is beyond my abilities but they certainly happen all over the place. I never ignore my gut. I bust big like anyone but on the balance, my gut knows more than my conscious brain and I never ignore it. I'm feelin good for some snow on snow Friday. 

6z euro showed improvements at h5 with the vorticity location and also with its surface reflection. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm glad your gut is saying the same mine is (unless mine is just making noises). I've felt pretty good for that too...feels like something that could trend a little better on models as we get closer.

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm glad your gut is saying the same mine is (unless mine is just making noises). I've felt pretty good for that too...feels like something that could trend a little better on models as we get closer.

Pretty good consistency between the euro and gfs to target our region.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We are a really streaky area for whatever reason.

It's always felt that way -- that higher probability misses and lower probability hits seems to string together way more often than you'd expect by chance.  Winter 2013/2014 being the poster child for the phenomena.

• Like 1

I wouldn't toss it yet.  It did kinda lead the way with yesterday.  But it is 84 hours and we still have the rest of 12z models to see if they move that way

I can’t remember at what range the NAM had a clue. Looking back at the runs I saved to my phone it was doing well by 60 hours at least, though most guidance had it figured out by that point. The 84hr SREF run actually worked out well… lol
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I wouldn't toss it yet.  It did kinda lead the way with yesterday.  But it is 84 hours and we still have the rest of 12z models to see if they move that way

I thought the 12z was a bit more consolidated around the Lakes and actually dug some more. I might be wrong, but if that had gone out about 6-12 more hours it may have looked halfway decent.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic