• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

looks about right for mby. 6" with the intial burst and 2" last night for about 8". My call was 8". Ugliest 8"storm I experienced....but it looks good now. Time to keep adding some arctic powder now....

• Like 3

4" from Wed-Thurs clipper, then got goose egged yesterday. Looks like the Ashland, WI & Ironwood, MI areas got 6-12". NWS DLH didn't do so good with this northern end of the system. It ended up being a little more east than expected, and winds not as bad.

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Went out long enough to collect eggs, measure, and snap a couple pics.  It's been snowing like hell for about 24 hours... another 3-5 possible before the flow backs more unfavorably.  

Estimating a little over 2' has fallen with a snow depth approaching 30 inches.1823823638_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.058fa2c3d14dd2729926b5aaf0f8d0a3.jpg

1757439409_thumbnail(3).thumb.jpg.6b551e475b81654179fdef5dda1c5335.jpg

Now that's the UP we know! :lol:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

I got my wish of at least having the ground covered. Holy hell that was a workout to shovel. Going to be cool to see once it’s freezes into a nice glacier

I am exhausted between shoveling and snowblowing.  That stuff was crazy heavy. It compacted with the few hours above freezing.  It's definitely a dense snow pack.  Great part is a good amount did not melt off the trees.  With today LES here it looks like the heart of winter weather.

Forecast vs. Actual

The extended rain up into the central metro uglied things up, but storm total forecast worked out pretty well due to the early thump plus the overnight fluffier snow. Happy with where we messaged the 12"+ probs.

13.3" in La Salle seems really high, though I'm off this weekend and can't speak to the process behind going with that report. ab1508d32411576511aaca79cc8322bb.jpg57ca070f8eb9d638ad5460a7db321ccc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Went out long enough to collect eggs, measure, and snap a couple pics.  It's been snowing like hell for about 24 hours... another 3-5 possible before the flow backs more unfavorably.  

Estimating a little over 2' has fallen with a snow depth approaching 30 inches.1823823638_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.058fa2c3d14dd2729926b5aaf0f8d0a3.jpg

45216666_thumbnail(3).thumb.jpg.f759c77ac006ae1ca483036e9794a3ae.jpg

That hurts just looking at. How long have/did you have blizzard conditions?

d196b965a46faccf6b76d73057c6c86e.jpg
sad to see the lackluster storm performance for my friends in the city. north of Rockford we did great but actually kind of underperformed with about 8” locally as there were some 11” lollipops on either side of us. daughter had ski team practice this morning at Wilmot, the Matterhorn of the Midwest. Snow was great, a nice layer of champagne powder from the overnight and early morning drier few inch topper that came down. enchanted views driving to and from the ski area with the snow just plastered on the landscape.

• Like 7

Map of storm total snowfall for Fri-Sat. Most of southern WI received 8 to 11 inches, but an area in eastern WI along the Kettle Moraine had 12 to 14 inches with localized higher amounts from Waukesha to Plymouth of 14 to 18 inches.

Final total map from MKX. Pretty good verification for MKX and the models as a whole. We were pretty much locked in for at least these totals from like Wednesday morning no matter what the trend was, so to have that verify was very nice. We probably have about 14-15" of snow OTG between the two snowfalls this week. And now with this little clipper coming in the temps have really started to drop. Low clouds with peaks of sun, snow blowing around and lightly falling, and the wind blowing. It is positively arctic out right now. Since I wasn't around here for Feb 2021, this is the most "deep winter" conditions I've experienced since late Jan 2019. 

• Like 2

My snow board maxed out at 3.5" yesterday and was down to 2.5" this morning, but I'm going with 5" for my storm total.  Several reports from the Cedar Rapids area are in the 6-8" range.  The 2.5" of "dry" snow on my board this morning had 0.43" liquid in it, for a 6 to 1 ratio.  I always get a terrible ratio when there is wind, even if the snow is bone dry.

4 hours ago, King James said:

8.8 for IKK? No chance 

Yeah, idk.  Prolly a bit high   Bourbonnais COOP is usually pretty conservative

Kankakee County...
Bourbonnais                  7.5 in    0700 AM 01/13   COOP

Kankakee 1.4 WSW             5.8 in    0600 AM 01/13   COCORAHS

St. Anne                     4.5 in    0700 AM 01/13   COOP

On 1/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, Frog Town said:

WWA posted for Toledo.  A little late to the party

On 1/12/2024 at 3:21 PM, nwohweather said:

NWS Cleveland needs to get WWA's up ASAP. The snow is far more entrenched along the lines of what the GFS showed than what they predicted. Tough call, but I think 3-4" is capable. It's definitely extremely wet, heavy snow 

To be fair, I hit send on this a little earlier than these posts:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
248 PM EST Fri Jan 12 2024

OHZ003-130000-
/O.NEW.KCLE.WW.Y.0002.240112T1948Z-240113T0000Z/
Lucas-
Including the city of Toledo
248 PM EST Fri Jan 12 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS
EVENING...

* WHAT...Wet snow occurring. Additional snow accumulations of up
  to two inches.

* WHERE...Lucas county.

* WHEN...Until 7 PM EST this evening.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Heavy wet snow will impact travel
  conditions through the evening commute.

We were aware of the potential for an impactful burst of wet snow in the Toledo area, but yes the advisory came out later than would've been preferable. I had a bit of a gut feeling around 1 PM when TOL immediately dropped to 3/4 mile visibility in snow when precip came in...but since it was still 36-38 degrees across Lucas County, raining in Wood County south of the turnpike, and only sticking to grass in western Lucas County (not in the city of Toledo) I wasn't sure if it'd snow long enough to accumulate 2"+. I have no problem issuing an advisory for less than 4" of snow (our technical advisory criteria) based on impact, but there has to be a line somewhere and I don't want to do an advisory if I'm not confident it'll snow at least a couple inches. We issued a Special Wx Statement for up to 2" of quick snow accumulation and slick road conditions around 1:20. By 2:30 Findlay flipped to snow, precip rates were intensifying, and snow was sticking to roads in Lucas County. It was obvious that conditions would be poor through the evening commute and also that snow accumulations would be a good couple/few inches in western Lucas County, so we went with the advisory at that point. 

• Like 1