• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

Annapolis is forecast in the very short term to end up with higher water levels than Connie (1955) and Fran (1996). Isabel is first with the Chesapeake/Potomac Hurricane being second (1933), and this forecast for the upcoming high tide would be third.

Cambridge, MD, is forecast in the very short term to end up with the second highest water level behind Isabel. 

This storm is still playing out in terms of effects throughout the region. 

• Like 5

Annapolis is currently 4.67 feet MLLW (3.86 feet NAVD88). Forecast is for this to reach 5.5 feet MLLW for Annapolis in just over an hour (about another foot), then to stop rising.

I am calibrated to NAVD88 and this is what my gauge reads just north of the Bay Bridge:

image.thumb.jpeg.806558e5c4201956682a4bc5b437ddeb.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Good thing the Bay Bridge was closed.

Nothing really exceptional about that video. Waves of that size are pretty common on the open bay - I get them many times every year with nor'easters. The fetch in that video appears to be from the east and the location appears to be somewhere near the Northrup Grumman facility based on the bridge angle, so only about 5 miles of fetch creating those waves, not the long southerly fetch that was expected to bring us 5-6 foot waves. They look around 3-4 foot there. It might seem rare for people that don't see the bay violent on a regular basis, but it isn't all that rare. What's rare is the 70+ MPH gusts that we were having on the bridge for about 4 hours straight. That's why the bridge was closed. But remember that the bridge deck is a few hundred feet up, winds at the surface may not have ever reached 70. My exposure is wrong to get the strongest winds, so I can't really comment on what the bay south of the bridge was seeing.

• Like 3

Still no power. As always. I moved to some pocket of the county where every time there’s even a slightly elevated risk for wind we immediately turn into Little House on the Prairie. 

no eta for restoration yet . 255 customers in my cluster getting ready to join Charles Ingalls in heading off to Mankato to look for work. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

58 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Still no power. As always. I moved to some pocket of the county where every time there’s even a slightly elevated risk for wind we immediately turn into Little House on the Prairie. 

no eta for restoration yet . 255 customers in my cluster getting ready to join Charles Ingalls in heading off to Mankato to look for work. 

sorry my friend. :( 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Hope you get juice back soon

1 hour ago, TSSN+ said:

Wind advisory round 2 up here. Let’s see if it’s windier today than yesterday. 

From a "real feel lol" perspective it most likely will. Should get good mixing/turbulence once the sun does its thing. Yesterday was a good reminder about southerly flow+saturated column. Winds near the surface have to fight to touch it. I've personally never witnessed a significant southerly wind event anywhere west of the bay. Every prediction underperforms.

Westerlies have it easy. They get tumbled and pushed to the surface. Maybe you can witness some beautiful devastation in your yard today. I'm rootin for ya brother :nerdsmiley::tomato:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Clueless said:

Sump pump could not keep up. We just finished moving boxes and stuff out of our storage area in the basement.  It wasn’t a disaster. Part of our rug is wet. RIP some vinyl and CDs we never used. A few boxes with books. What a great storm. :raining:

Sorry to hear this, and even if the losses were not great by your estimation, it still sucks. Our sump pump is ancient...we've lived in our home for 22 years, and it had already been installed for years before THAT. It works well and sounds the same as the day we moved in...really only gets a good workout (e.g., popping on every 20-30 min) maybe 4x-5x annually depending on how many biblical rainstorms we get, but I feel like we're beyond living on borrowed time there. If anyone has any good recommendations for a sump pump with battery backup, would love to hear them.

In related news...the wind is really picking up again this A.M. We're still under a couple flood warnings but I don't see any wind advisories for here yet,..wondering if they're going to creep eastward from the Shenandoah Valley.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic