Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

They closed what is probably the most flood-prone area of Fairfax County, Burke Lake Road at the lake.  The first domino to drop.

Woodburn, Prosperity, Hunter Mill next

11 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Aberdeen Proving Ground sent everyone home at 1300 and maximized telework tomorrow for sunny skies.

Pretty insane. This storm better deliver, or the CG won't budge when we get snow. 

They are also expecting 6-7 foot tides with 5-6 foot waves from the south at Aberdeen. Likely they will have roads covered and/or washed out with this storm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

They are also expecting 6-7 foot tides with 5-6 foot waves from the south at Aberdeen. Likely they will have roads covered and/or washed out with this storm.

yeah, high tides will cause major flooding with the fetch straight up the bay. 

Definitely getting "stormier" now. Took a (wet) walk outside down to where the TV tower along Wisconsin Ave. is, and I can hear the dull roar of the wind as it passes through the top (around 700 feet up). But not really that windy at the surface (yet?). Always a good way to guesstimate what kind of wind energy is above ground level, I suppose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Definitely getting "stormier" now. Took a (wet) walk outside down to where the TV tower along Wisconsin Ave. is, and I can hear the dull roar of the wind as it passes through the top (around 700 feet up). But not really that windy at the surface (yet?). Always a good way to guesstimate what kind of wind energy is above ground level, I suppose. 

MD Mesonet location in Easton gusting in the 30s 

29 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Does Huntington area next to Cameron Run and the Beltway still flood so badly? I haven't heard about flooding there in some time...

The county built a levee from telegraph to Rt 1 to protect that neighborhood.  After some of those awful rains and floods they took a park property that was once a Fx Water maint site(and old well site for an old water company) and build up a berm.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Will have to follow you for when my oldest heads back to school this semester. 

Weather wise up here winds are defiantly blowing more from the NE as the front of our house faces E and the rain is hitting them pretty good. Up to .81" so far. And Mr. J headed my advice and came home just after lunch time so he would not get caught on 270 in the crappy weather. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic