• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

Good morning all, glad we came back overnight. I agree with something @Deck Pic said a few pages ago. Those of us in the metro corridor I think should be rooting for a big WAA thump in the 20-0z time period Saturday I think. Pile up some mashed potatoes quick and then it’s already dark by the time it flips to rain. And it’s probably all over before midnight Sunday. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Rough start this morning after last night's great runs. GFS is much faster and weaker. Also looks a tad warmer as well.

Well.. that was extremely disappointing to wake up to. Hopefully off run will come back at 12z. Don’t like the trend at all with weaker low exiting off the coast. GFS more like Euro this am.

9 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Spot on as usual. You can also see the Monocacy Valley snow hole illustrated. It seems to rear it's ugly head when there isn't sustained cold air draining into Frederick City. I know that's been the perennial bane of @catoctin wx and @Mrs.J

Bane is exactly the right word for setups where cold air is marginal.  I can often see the snow a few miles from my house on top of Braddock Mtn but it's rain in the valley. Pretty cool to see it showing up in the models now.

Just not any consistency between modes yet. Euro hasn’t budged much since yesterday but even its snow jackpot changed. GFS jumpy as well with huge shift last night. It had support tho. 

models still trying to resolve western energy and confluence and until they do it’s gonna be a back and forth. 

Wxmeddler said it best with models trying to also put low pressures along the baroclinic zone in the ATL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z EURO

IMG_2655.png

These 6z runs are way too drastic of a shift there's definitely something wonky or perhaps last night was the wonky but still...something smells 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Neither am I. Models been back and forth. Hopefully the dust settles by tomorrow at the latest. 

Easy for us to say, we are in a better spot than most. 

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Goodness, this thing has trended the wrong way.  Has anyone ever seen a major storm consensus on all guidance at D5 degrade like this?  I know they've busted at gametime,  but to see this storm universally morph on guidance in the medium range like this? 

Hopefully the 6z euro is just off on a tangent. 

Even the weaker 6z gfs still has snow for western and Northern areas.

• Like 2

It would seem todays model runs are are the most important. Our storm and its associated energy hits the west coast today. Better sampling for the models (good or bad) is definitely forthcoming. If it looks terrible by tomorrow morning, then we can commence our ritualistic cliff diving party. For now, no model consistency = game still on until proven otherwise. B)

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic