Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

And miss all that snow?  The walks these days are perfect in the woods. Snow not too deep so I can go everywhere with the dog into the parts of the woods that are not great in the summer and fall. This is pretty freaking awesome weather right now with a moderate snow cover. 
I know you are tongue in cheek;)

Just playing Scooter this morning.  Looks good for you. Me not so much. Total ice can walk on the snow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The ensembles are pretty bullish on something around 1/30 as well. There’s a very pronounced PNA ridge spike during that time which is prob why we’re seeing it show up this far out. Tip already mentioned this a day or two ago as a period of interest. 

Next week is all nuanced. We may get a nice burst on Tuesday or it could be a degree too warm aloft. Won’t know until we’re closer. 

Could be some epic pack numbers coming out of NNE if those systems break cold next week.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The ensembles are pretty bullish on something around 1/30 as well. There’s a very pronounced PNA ridge spike during that time which is prob why we’re seeing it show up this far out. Tip already mentioned this a day or two ago as a period of interest. 

Next week is all nuanced. We may get a nice burst on Tuesday or it could be a degree too warm aloft. Won’t know until we’re closer. 

Already a few members with lows in the vicinity of the benchmark for 10 days out there would be more but there's timing differences obviously .. That signal has pretty much been there since day 15 .. 

image.thumb.png.bc22d0f59c632dadc72732ed1e31f358.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No edibles for Ginxy this morning. He is not sitting back smiling. 

IDK you see a 1040 Scooter high in that position and WAA you would think we would get dumped on. But models race that warm front NE and with it the lift. I bet Hunchie scores again,  surprise surprise 

index (24).png

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Could be some epic pack numbers coming out of NNE if those systems break cold next week.

In a bad winter for much of central and southern New England last year, we had a great pack in excess of 20 inches and at one point over 30 inches. I like pack, but prefer 6 to 10 inches which is easier to walk in.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

IDK you see a 1040 Scooter high in that position and WAA you would think we would get dumped on. But models race that warm front NE and with it the lift. I bet Hunchie scores again,  surprise surprise 

index (24).png

At this point let them have it, give us some rain to wash sand and salt from the roads and clear us out for another 4-5” snowfall in Feb and on to spring 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Does it go to rain either way ?

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Does it go to rain either way ?

It's going to be a last minute thing, can we get the high to tick better and thus colder.. Right now the area from 84 to the pike is has the most at stake could be a few inches of snow then a glaze over to drizzle.. Any trends weaker and east with the high would mean mostly rain .. If we can get that high stronger and more west then more are in the game for 3-6" then a glaze..   CNE is best in this set-up, my gut is that the high trends east and weaker with time .. EPS is most bullish on a few inches for you .. GEFS and GEPS are mostly rain to the pike.. 

The waves after that look like mostly rain as well for most of us ..  Then we await Jan 30th

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

index (24).png

No shit, in what world would this look not give us some overrunning WAA snows down here? Nope. Not this season.

11 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Man if we don't have that system to track on the 30th ... This forum will be the worst we have ever seen heading into February looking at the 11-15 lol .. EPS isn't as bad but just an epic torch with no end in sight on GEFS and GEPS

I know the MJO isn't everything, however we seem to be mirroring the last wave. Not sure when we will be back in 1/2 however we will likely have another colder spell. Maybe DC scores again!

image.png.ad1e95a744db50d6d4123eeb73991b50.png

9 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It's going to be a last minute thing, can we get the high to tick better and thus colder.. Right now the area from 84 to the pike is has the most at stake could be a few inches of snow then a glaze over to drizzle.. Any trends weaker and east with the high would mean mostly rain .. If we can get that high stronger and more west then more are in the game for 3-6" then a glaze..   CNE is best in this set-up, my gut is that the high trends east and weaker with time .. EPS is most bullish on a few inches for you .. GEFS and GEPS are mostly rain to the pike.. 

The waves after that look like mostly rain as well for most of us ..  Then we await Jan 30th

Sounds horrific 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

index (24).png

The huge Bermuda high is the reason the models bring the warmth in quickly 

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Congrats Baltimore.  Maybe Lamar Jackson is a closet snow weenie. 

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Close the shades

Not smilin.

I am officially over the half foot mark for the season with 6.25" after yesterday's .5".  Not too far from 18" for combined last season and this season.

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

index (24).png

:weenie::weenie: 

This has been rain for SNE for days; if you take off the weenie glasses.

Focus on another period. This is just punishment and embarrassing already.

IMG_0611.gif

IMG_0610.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I know the MJO isn't everything, however we seem to be mirroring the last wave. Not sure when we will be back in 1/2 however we will likely have another colder spell. Maybe DC scores again!

image.png.ad1e95a744db50d6d4123eeb73991b50.png

If guidance is too weak and slow with MJO progression, then we’d prob be back in phase 7/8 by Feb 7-10…that would likely have some changes in the way guidance looks. It’s been too weak all year on models. There’s other factors at play but a robust MJO will def have influence. Weaker wave has less. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

10 this morning ..  all the way up to 16 so far.

Looks like today is bottom day for this pattern cycle. 

Looking at Tuesday night ... the thing is, yeah the +PP fades away E and leaves our extended region exposed. However, the gradient in that backside environment spreads out. = The winds and warm advection are weak.  That leaves a rotted polar air in place, still conditionally set up with some drier air and evaporation cooling potential ..and some other feed-backs. But that doesn't matter anyway.  Because as soon as the new +PP tumbles over and around the NNE cordilleras ... that cold tuck jet is going to exceed whatever any and all guidance currently depict of it - guaranteed.  Unless this recent generation of modeling technology can prove otherwise, the handling of any 925 mb "tuck" jet until 24 hours ahead is still suspect in my mind. 

That said... as this is just coming into the meso range... noticing not very much QPF.   Yeah, the mid range GFS may have been overselling that aspect from whence this was a 2 or 3 days ago.  What's new?  - model attenuation when nearing a period of interest.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being just light smear of snow N, and snow to IP and very light freezing ... never exceeding either low-end advisory, or just a 'specials' statement requirement.  I had neglected to modulate my own thinking the other day, around the charlie browning model take away phenomenon. 

The set up is there in principle, however ...  So it's possible there could still result more actual weight falling. I'm just annoyed by the attenuation aspect - we don't know how much is going to be taxed when moving a scenario from D7 to D3 (say..), but some amount of tariff appears to always happen as the distant range attempts to import the goods through the mid range docks.  

As far as that goes... that system the 00z and 06z operational GFS has programmed for the 27/28th smacks as a huge candidate for reduction of value.  I'm beginning to recognize some nuances in the behavior of the 500 mb that may lend to deterministic understanding as to why that happens... This system is a nice test.  

The 30th appears anchored in a planetary timing.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I guess the goal and game plan this week is to overtake BMI for seasonal total 

Break on 3 …1….2…3…shoot me 

You know it’s going shittily when we’re chasing Baltimore for snow totals 

• Like 1