Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I’m among the few rooting hard to lose the “pack”.  Life is so much easier without.

I love the tracking and I love the actual snowfall, but within a day after the storm passes, I want it all gone.  (But then start over with another storm 4-5 days out.)  That's my ideal winter.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Finally finished the SNE snowfall to date map. This thing is a bear to do. If you guys like it i'll keep doing them throughout the winter, otherwise i might just do it at the end of the season. The CT one only takes about an hour to do but this one took about 5 hours. The vast majority is finding and verifying reports on here, cocorahs, climo sites, etc.. There was a little smoothing i had to do with the isonifs, but if there is any additional reports or corrections i will add them. Thanks!

I used the reports for contours obviously but also the gridded snowfall analysis from nohrsc as a guide https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snowfall/

Updated:

01_22.24_jdj_ct_ma_ri_snowfall_to_date.thumb.jpg.d800d81b31aabf871136a2c7c5c7ec31.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

Increasing clouds today with scattered rain and snow showers this afternoon. Steady accumulating snow tonight ending before sunrise Wednesday. Freezing rain is possible Wednesday afternoon across the high terrain in western and central Massachusetts with rain expected elsewhere. Temperatures top out in the middle to upper 30s today and tomorrow. Any lingering freezing rain a see across the high terrain Wednesday evening will change to all rain. Otherwise...periods of rain are expected Wednesday night into early Friday with above normal temperatures. Dry weather with above normal temperatures follows Friday night and Saturday. A potential coastal storm may bring rain, ice and/orsnow Saturday night and Sunday perhaps lingering into part of Monday.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Finally finished the SNE snowfall to date map. This thing is a bear to do. If you guys like it i'll keep doing them throughout the winter, otherwise i might just do it at the end of the season. The CT one only takes about an hour to do but this one took about 5 hours. The vast majority is finding and verifying reports on here, cocorahs, climo sites, etc.. There was a little smoothing i had to do with the isonifs, but if there is any additional reports or corrections i will add them. Thanks!

I used the reports for contours obviously but also the gridded snowfall analysis from nohrsc as a guide https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snowfall/

01_22.24_jdj_ct_ma_ri_snowfall_to_date.thumb.jpg.34828e894286e0c3ef5cc52a1baad5f7.jpg

Interesting. My area seems a low, but I can imagine that is a difficult map to make this year. I'm at 21.25 in Westfield, and I know North Granby has had a few more inches than us, and had an official 17 inches from just that one large storm.  Less in Simsbury, but I don't have any decent measurements here

13 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Not a big deal for New England yes but still 1-2" of snow/sleet for many North of 84, probably a slick AM commute .. 

commuting sure. That’s timing and treating. 

south of the pike I’d cut BOX map in half. Leave the rest. I’d tack on an inch to their map in the berks and extreme NW CT. But many south of 84 won’t see more than a dusting/trace. Just don’t see the precip for it.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

commuting sure. That’s timing and treating. 

south of the pike I’d cut BOX map in half. Leave the rest. I’d tack on an inch to their map in the berks and extreme NW CT. But many south of 84 won’t see more than a dusting/trace. Just don’t see the precip for it.

Ya we have coating to 1" south of 84 .. 1-2" north to the pike that should do it .. although it does look like SE New England to the beaches could sneak in a lucky inch of snow before the rain .. almost all guidance likes the band producing a stripe from New London County into Rhode Island and the Islands overnight

image.thumb.png.0b21b8fca7b0d593798b0e028253d99a.png

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

GFS coming around to the Friday torch now some agreement on temps breaking out into the 50s Friday at least south of the Pike .. Near 60 south of 84 looking possible .. Long range also moved towards EURO / EPS with the torch .. Here's the first 5 days of February

image.thumb.png.1a660873ce5117a7189da72b5bb936f3.png

image.thumb.png.dec3a15acf63c4d9bfefe50134455fc7.png

Yeah, euro back to reaching 60 in CT Friday. 

As for the first 5 days of February? Absolutely ridiculous, February is supposed to be cold in a Nino. The mjo is absolutely ruling the roost and have changed our winters 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

GFS coming around to the Friday torch now some agreement on temps breaking out into the 50s Friday at least south of the Pike .. Near 60 south of 84 looking possible .. Long range also moved towards EURO / EPS with the torch .. Here's the first 5 days of February

Well I’m sure the heights will retro to the pole as the month unfolds. Just in time to cause late season agony SOP. 

41 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Ya we have coating to 1" south of 84 .. 1-2" north to the pike that should do it .. although it does look like SE New England to the beaches could sneak in a lucky inch of snow before the rain .. almost all guidance likes the band producing a stripe from New London County into Rhode Island and the Islands overnight 

image.thumb.png.dd4163ddc24a66d2a1b84e18d0fd513e.png

Dislike this map south of 84. Adding total qpf for marginal temps and scattered light precip is a big sell in something like this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

01_22.24_jdj_ct_ma_ri_snowfall_to_date.thumb.jpg.34828e894286e0c3ef5cc52a1baad5f7.jpg

Thanks for all that you do/have done!

What is insane is once again BDR is beating me for snowfall again. Only at 4.5 in Easton CT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Don't forget my area with the 6.25" so far.  I am on par to hopefully not beat last year's winter of 11".  Fingers crossed for torches and rain all the way through March.