Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i think this winter was destined to up and downs, anyway. 

Save for this past week when we had a brief stall near phase 2/3, we've been just ripping along on the RMM plots for the MJO, and the waves have been high amplitude too since the week of Xmas....so yeah, that isn't typically going to be associated with weeks-long pattern stagnation. You want weak MJO or almost none at all and that's when we can get those standing wave type patterns that lock in.

OR we get lucky with blocking which mitigates other more hostile factors. We lose the blocking after the 1/20 threat though.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like we grab a quick 1-2” on Sunday in convective looking squalline 

RLVysrl.jpeg

That would be really neat to experience one of those again.  I've seen that happen in the Great Lakes growing up and once or twice here.  Sky gets inky dark and there's even a bit of arcus/shelf cloud and a gust front.... big rain drops  ( cat paws really) with a rumble of thunder then somewhere mid way through the squall ... flashes over to aggregates and the visibility tanks. 

it's weird and really amazing

• Like 2

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

That would be really neat to experience one of those again.  I've seen that happen in the Great Lakes growing up and once or twice here.  Sky gets inky dark and there's even a bit of arcus/shelf cloud and a gust front.... big rain drops  ( cat paws really) with a rumble of thunder even than mid way through the squall ... flashes over to aggregates and the visibility tanks. 

It’s on most of the hi res now 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Reminds me of a similar one we had maybe 10-12 years ago ish .. had 2-4” in a lot of places with simultaneous reports of lightning all over CT up into C MA

1/28/10 was the one you're prob thinking of. That was an epic setup. We're not repeating that since winds are too much westerly component in this one, but there def could be some pretty good squalls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That would be really neat to experience one of those again.  I've seen that happen in the Great Lakes growing up and once or twice here.  Sky gets inky dark and there's even a bit of arcus/shelf cloud and a gust front.... big rain drops  ( cat paws really) with a rumble of thunder then somewhere mid way through the squall ... flashes over to aggregates and the visibility tanks. 

Was driving up 93 (Ski 93) to Wildcat from Lowell back in the late 80s and drove thru one - pouring rain to driving wind driven whiteout. Emerged from the 0 Viz whiteout doing like 10 mph and it was flash freeze and every car had spun off the road - we almost joined them but my roommate who was driving had skills. It was very dangerous - temp dropped like from low 40's to mid 20's in just a few miles.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was likely it. It was like 1 hour legit snowstorm 

Yeah I had almost 4" in 45 minutes (I think it was like 3.7 or something) with multiple flashes and rumbles plus we went from like 31-32F at the onset to teens within a cvouple hours. True arctic WINDEX event on 'roids.

• Like 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I had almost 4" in 45 minutes (I think it was like 3.7 or something) with multiple flashes and rumbles plus we went from like 31-32F at the onset to teens within a cvouple hours. True arctic WINDEX event on 'roids.

I remember Ginx got arrested for public indecency that evening .

• Haha 5

I was just out filling the wood racks to ensure I’ve got enough dry wood for the cold coming after this rain and saw this little guy out in the lawn. Don’t think I’ve ever seen this in January before. We also had a couple wasps out today. Granted, neither are as powerful predictors of weather like geese, but it caught my attention. 

IMG_7395.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1/28/10 was the one you're prob thinking of. That was an epic setup. We're not repeating that since winds are too much westerly component in this one, but there def could be some pretty good squalls.

that was the big one we all remember.  We had the poor man's version of that on 1/30/19.  Maybe this could be the homeless man's version?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

was that the one that put down a quick 5-6" in spots of SNE?

26 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

was that the one that put down a quick 5-6" in spots of SNE?

Yeah most didn’t get that much but maybe a few spots in the berks and Litchfield hills. But a widespread 2-4” over interior SNE. The event weakened a little as it approached the coast so they were more like C-1”

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah most didn’t get that much but maybe a few spots in the berks and Litchfield hills. But a widespread 2-4” over interior SNE. The event weakened a little as it approached the coast so they were more like C-1”

well to be fair, if it didn’t happen in AEMATT, it probably didn’t happen at all

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Hrrr is wild getting even more amped for Sunday with multiple lines of intense snow squalls, almost turns into an MCS once it gets to NE MASS bringing a few inches along RT 2 north into CNE. 

Add the 3k NAM to the list. I’m intrigued. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't hurt to get a couple inches in squalls and keep it around for a while. Would help brighten the landscape and the mood in here before a hopefully bigger event late week. 40/35 at 1130pm on 1/12...can't wait for this junk to go away.