• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

between Sunday River and Saddleback being on literal islands, and what @powderfreak has posted about Stowe (plus this video https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1CWQGQucQ7/?igshid=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw%3D%3D)

Shutting 'em down may actually not be out of the question.  Congrats to those who wanted that.

An entire industry in New England taking a legitimate dagger on their season.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, nj2va said:

So awful for the residents and ski areas.  We’re supposed to be staying in Jackson over New Years.

Maybe a miracle happens, and they get a good snowstorm, plenty of time before you go. I remember going to Bretton one year in January and the cross-country ski area just had icy patches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

between Sunday River and Saddleback being on literal islands, and what @powderfreak has posted about Stowe (plus this video https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1CWQGQucQ7/?igshid=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw%3D%3D)

Shutting 'em down may actually not be out of the question.  Congrats to those who wanted that.

Instead of an icy death ribbon this Christmas, folks will be paying $175 a ticket to ski on a rockslide.

• Haha 2

Power came back here a few hours ago. Such a huge relief after fearing it would take several days or more, especially with the cold setting in. Hats off to all the crews coming in from out of state working double time to get things back to normal. Couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas gift.

• Like 5

On 12/18/2023 at 8:07 PM, drstuess said:

Maybe McGulps will weigh in, but biggest seas I have seen in RI. Novelty waves breaking way up the bay and Block buoy was 30' all day. Ocean is mean.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Agreed that the significant wave heights with the 2023 system (calling it Vince just in case NHC reclassifies it) was right up there with the wave heights from 2012 (Sandy). With many similarities such as surf way up the River (which is a site to see!) Sandy scored a more impactful score in the duration of a sustained sea state over 5 meters and a greater amount of time of longer period swell already in the waters prior to the max event. 2023 did have a high wave energy at time of peak impact with the 9 meters at 17 seconds while 2012 had 9.5 meters at 14 seconds.

Either way you slice it, weather in western boundary mountains in Maine or the shoreline of Rhode Island, the impacts of more heat and moisture in the atmosphere is a reality that we need to develop residential and political will to think long term for adaptation to the new normal, resiliency for extreme events, and sustainability to make every day decisions that protect our quality of life, for future generations, and making sure the most disadvantaged communities are prioritized first.

2023 (Vince).png

2012 (Sandy).png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, amarshall said:

The little 71 is destructionbury. Still no power

Destructionbury.jpg

This map makes sense and aligns with WOR forecasts. This was a coast and EOR event. I still think the duration of sustained winds along with the soaked ground did the most damage, rather than any rogue gust. 

We do hope this map is not a prelude to snowfall distribution when the next system approaches with below freezing temps…assuming that is possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tunafish said:

That Cliff trail damage on Mansfield is one of the crazier things I’ve seen on that mountain and I’ve seen a couple crazy things over the years.

Heard there was an excavator heading up there today.  That is a key trail connecting the Gondola and Quad.  And that won’t get fixed with snow.  That flash flood dug a trench in the ground for like a half a mile down that trail.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I wonder what other sort of significant terrain issues were caused on other resorts from flooding 

You have to figure there are trail compromises that won’t  make themselves immediately shown. 

edit:  I am not at all trying to be negative, just cautious.  I already live with ski injuries so, I take safety first.