Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, TSG said:

I don't understand the doom and gloom over this setup on the 3rd. This just isn't a good look for MA snow and never was. There's no real cold in the East to work with yet, it's all behind the storm. We need it in front.

You are missing the point. The fact that isnt a snowstorm in the Shenandoah Valley in early January is a problem. It would be in any other year I can remember. We have been torched at the surface plenty of times heading into snowstorms in the past. Something is just different about the base state now.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 4

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You are missing the point. The fact that isnt a snowstorm in the Shenandoah Valley in early January is a problem. It would be in any other year I can remember. We have been torched at the surface plenty of times heading into snowstorms in the past. Something is just different about the base state now.

Didn’t a wise poster (psu) just say this 20 hrs ago?:

A pattern change doesn’t mean we instantly snow. You seem overly focused on snow otg but in the long range we’re often discussing a process. There was no cold anywhere in North America. We can’t go from that snow by snapping a finger. It’s taking some time after the long wave pattern flips to establish enough cold in our area to get snow. Even then we will need luck. It is a pretty good pattern to get a snowstorm in the eastern US. But it could go just north of us. Just south. Cut island a bit. Out to sea. A good pattern doesn’t guarantee snow. We also need luck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I think a lot of people are ignoring the 48 hrs leading up to that point. Sure we have subzero 850s, but that doesn't matter if we've had SW flow at the surface for 2.5 days. This is not a good setup for snow anywhere below high elevation.

Would you really expect snow in Winchester on the 3rd looking at this setup on the 1st? I wouldn't.

gfs_mslp_wind_us_24.png

• Like 4

Ehh, not entirely sure that it’d be a snowstorm in other years. Hard to tell. Perhaps some snow from a late changeover as the low cranks up and passes us by with minor accumulation, but all snow? Idk. Maybe but hard to tell. It’s hard to analyze in a vacuum.

Sure, we’ve overcome warm temps the day prior to then see snow, but we are looking at a setup where 850s are above 0 all the way up to Bangor ME. The flow ahead of the system isn’t helpful at all. Other instances where we’ve overcome usually have better surface temps to our NW to tap into.

Could be as simple as the complete lack of snow cover to the north of here. Great Lakes, Canada, etc. Once the winds flip NW, there’s no cold or even marginal cold to get the job done. As cape said, where’s the cold coming from, even as winds become favorable and it bombs out. That could be the base state angle you were mentioning. Less snow early in the season for places north of here could mean marginal setups at the front end of a pattern change (and in early winter) are less likely to work out. The difference a degree or two makes is quite big unfortunately. What used to be 33-34f and snow with mid levels at 0C is now 34-35 and rain with mid levels at 1-2C with this type of airmass.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The good years in the Nino dataset all feature at least a period of cold/snow in December, or a decisive flip to cold and or/snow in the first 15 days of January.  The latter is seemingly still in play, but absent of this verifying a big reset in expectations will unfortunately be coming.

The "colder look after the 4th" is what dismays me.  There has been consistency in the models to show BN at day 10 only to bleed warm and verify AN.  These trends are way more important than any one good/bad day of LR looks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

The good years in the Nino dataset all feature at least a period of cold/snow in December, or a decisive flip to cold and or/snow in the first 15 days of January.  The latter is seemingly still in play, but absent of this verifying a big reset in expectations will unfortunately be coming.

The "colder look after the 4th" is what dismays me.  There has been consistency in the models to show BN at day 10 only to bleed warm and verify AN.  These trends are way more important than any one good/bad day of LR looks.

Really? Show me the data for 73, 98 and 16

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Really? Show me the data for 73, 98 and 16

73 and 98 are absent from the "good years" dataset for a reason, but you already knew that.  16 kinda makes the point does it not - pattern flipped cold in early Jan, big storm and pattern breaks down.  

We are delusional if we think 02-3 or 09-10 are still on the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

As modeled by the GFS, the Jan. 2 system only degrades for wintry potential with the 12z run.

Pre-storm east and southeast surface winds bring in mild air off the Atlantic.

Surface temps. are too warm for snow nearly everywhere below 3000 ft..

Even the 81-corridor where snow is painted would more likely be a sloshy mix. The winners would be the western mountains above 2000 ft.

This is only my opinion based on the 12z run.

3 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Well, at least the entire MA/NE is above freezing. We can all suffer together emoji51.png

Dynamic cooling bombs or bust. Otherwise head to the mountains.

If I had a choice, with all the climatic warming I would move to the Alaskan mountains.  It still snows there at 10,000 feet. Or the Russian  Urals. It still snows up there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

Doesn't look like there's any real surface high to the north.

This has been the case for the past few years no cold high up north, warm air trapped at the surface, more and more cloudy nights holding temperatures higher, ocean air entrenched, high humidity levels you can make the inferences. 

It would appear outside of a few hits here in there 2016 and 2015 there have been fewer and fewer legit snow events DC to Baltimore, to Philadelphia, to New York.

I trace this back to the winter of 2009-2010 that year when it comes to snow really stand out, but those storms that dumped on us in December 19th, 2009, and February 17th, 2010, were kind of unusual in the way they evolved and the extreme blocking that took place during those storms.

I mean I had 40-50 mph winds out of the west on February 17th, 2010, with heavy snow coming down 2-3" an hour I do not recall any time in my lifetime where that happened. 

I am searching and searching for the reasons why we are in this snow drought, but it is not just DC, to Baltimore, to Philadelphia this is happening it's happening in a lot of places over the past 2-4 years. Obviously too small of a sample size to make too much sense yet.

Are we in the warm El Nino Phase?

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

GEFS is cooking up something in the Jan. 6 timeframe. That's the one I'm after. If that one isn't at least interesting to track... it'll be sad.

1704585600-FcQhtllWwec.png

That’s been on my radar as well. Cold air availability is much better then (as long as it doesn’t trend warmer)

• Like 2