Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

56 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

6z gfs has coastals in both those periods. Just skims @CAPE on the 2nd, then suppressed for RIC on the 6th.

I feel southern sliders are always a threat. Also, a too wrapped up system changing to rain. I will not be surprised by misses to the south even though I hate them the most. Still way off, but I even think some of the long range seasonal models were not as bullish on precipitation here. Glass half empty statement here

This is my current thought process on how this might play out

As the MJO progresses through 8/1 and the jet starts to retract will will get a favorable EPO/PNA longwave pattern around New Years.  This will begin the process of ushering in a more favorable regime for snow.  But it's going to take some time to mitigate the thermal issues across all of North America.  It's possible we get some snow early in this process but it would take some luck with either the timing between waves, a transient well timed 50/50, or a progressive wave with a favorable track.  Overly amplified waves would still favor rain during this phase.  

After that it is likely we get a short period as the MJO progresses through the MC (phases 3-6) where the typical Nino pacific pattern is destructively interfered with and we get a hybrid nina like longwave configuration for a time.  This might lead to a bit too much -PNA for a time in January.  It shouldn't be a torch or a no hope pattern, we could even snow with some luck and a progressive wave during this period, but it would still not be that "it" look Ji wants for our HECS.  But a -PNA ina  nino is not the same.  THe STJ and split flow will fight against a huge SE ridge this time.  

But the real lead is that once the MJO gets out of hostile phases again...this time we have a colder regime already established across North America and its go time.  By then the effects of the SSW are likely to be kicking in also.  If this leads to prolonged NAO blocking in conjunction with when the canonical nino pattern resumes in the pacific it could be ripe for an HECS threat.  

I am not saying we won't get snow before then...we very well could, but I think the timeline implies our BEST longwave pattern is still likely to be late January into February.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am not saying we won't get snow before then...we very well could, but I still think the timeline implies our BEST longwave pattern is still likely to be late January into February.  

Makes sense. And late jan into feb is right in our wheelhouse. I wasn’t even expecting a HECS to occur before that, but it will be nice to catch a couple of minor/moderate events before late Jan

• Like 5

I like how the gfs is trying to bring cool to cold air into the plains and foothills of the Rockies. Without that any cold air that drops in here just gets booted out as the next system comes along. We need that broad trough centered on the Mississippi to get into consistent cold and chances.

Again, I’m not a big snow chaser. More frequent snow and cold is my favorite. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I like how the gfs is trying to bring cool to cold air into the plains and foothills of the Rockies. Without that any cold air that drops in here just gets booted out as the next system comes along. We need that broad trough centered on the Mississippi to get into consistent cold and chances.

Again, I’m not a big snow chaser. More frequent snow and cold is my favorite. 

This is what I’m watching now basically. Our pattern change is within range and how next weeks event brings in colder air and establishes an eastern trough is key to whatever comes after. GFS, at least last nights euro, and now GGEM as well phase in a piece of the TPV and drop it almost due south late next week. Then more shortwaves over central Canada broaden it out. Some earlier runs phased in colder air earlier. It’s too early to say what differences in this may ultimately impact future snow chances because we don’t have a discreet threat afterward (yet). But what I don’t want to see is next week turn into a cutoff low that doesn’t drag in cold air and start an eastern trough. That’s the cankick scenario. 

IMG_7367.png

IMG_7368.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

From about the 28th on look possible. Wouldn’t surprise me to see one of these models start showing something for the end of next week.

Certainly could be snow showers with this TPV passage. But the option for something more is there if things shake out. 

• Like 4