Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

30 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Will 2023 go down as the worst year ever for winter enthusiasts? Factoring in temperature and snowfall. Can't think of any worse.

It very well could be. 1990 was really bad though. That’s the only one off the top of my head that might compete. Maybe 1998 too. I’d have to check to see if some garbage year in the early ‘50s might have matched/exceeded it. 1989 was about as bad as it gets for snow but it had the obscene record cold in December and the moderate Tday snow event so that automatically puts it above 2023. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mid Mayorch look there. 

It is… it hit me today, knowing another mild rainy day is coming tomorrow, with a little CAA on Friday but not much.  It has felt very much like April over the 7-10 days.  Flooding rain/snowmelt was now 9 days ago and nothing close to winter since then.  Only a half inch covering passed as snow cover for a few days in there.  It’s just glacial larger plow piles, grass, and elevated water levels.  April.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It is… it hit me today, knowing another mild rainy day is coming tomorrow, with a little CAA on Friday but not much.  It has felt very much like April over the 7-10 days.  Flooding rain/snowmelt was now 9 days ago and nothing close to winter since then.

As much as I want to drive north and get in some season pass free runs, the idea of a 500 mile round trip to get these conditions has me sticking to the ocean this weekend. Hoping that we can get below freezing by Monday and guns turn on for days.

8 minutes ago, mcglups said:

As much as I want to drive north and get in some season pass free runs, the idea of a 500 mile round trip to get these conditions has me sticking to the ocean this weekend. Hoping that we can get below freezing by Monday and guns turn on for days.

This is the catch-22 right now… aesthetically in our minds, we want the cold, flurries, snow guns cranking, type days.  But conditions right now when soft are likely better.  When this freezes again it’s just going to be hardpack that skis off to ice.

We need some natural snowfall.  Even just a few days of upslope, but 6”+ natural is needed to really make the current trails fun again IMO.  It could be a wait.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It very well could be. 1990 was really bad though. That’s the only one off the top of my head that might compete. Maybe 1998 too. I’d have to check to see if some garbage year in the early ‘50s might have matched/exceeded it. 1989 was about as bad as it gets for snow but it had the obscene record cold in December and the moderate Tday snow event so that automatically puts it above 2023. 

You're unreal. I would swear you're some sort of AI creation but I've met you.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mid Mayorch look there. 

Out of curiosity.. what does it normally look like in late December? And.. can we use grass and nature to predict the rest of the winter.. take notice of what Mother Nature is saying etc…??

Well it always looks like this. Sometimes in late July it gets a bit burnt.  Been here 27 years and this was the first summer I never turned on the sprinklers.

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Tim Kelley is preparing to make sacrifices to ULLR in his latest jay peak weather update 

It could be worse though, much worse.

This was 12/27/2015.

IMG_7126.jpeg.3733d24314cb5e166014e1d848d57e47.jpeg

At least all trails are white and the mountain passes for winter.

IMG_7127.thumb.jpeg.7a9ef713e754e97ff04492f065ba2cba.jpeg

Everything is based off 2015-16, just 8 years ago.  Its rough, but no where near the worst in even the past 10 years.

IMG_7128.thumb.jpeg.1e7fe57f3f5f62551ba1654d0848a9df.jpeg 

• Like 2

This was 12/27/2015.

Everything is based off 2015-16, just 8 years ago.  Its rough, but no where near the worst in even the past 10 years.

Jan 1st backyard at 1850’ last year. The only difference this year is that we started from a much deeper snow pack and the wipe out this year has been followed by a week of torch. The emotional part of me wants to buy a round in the panic room, but I’m trying to stay grounded and say “it’s northern f’n Vermont; it’ll snow”

1d7f4b6ece6dace0051c76f9d64a7478.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

This was 12/27/2015.

I was up in Stannard and Wheelock for work today. I was actually surprised at the amount of snow left in places. Obviously still atrocious for December but there was snow. 

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

1990 was terrible.  We were doing some electrical rough ins on new houses. There were a couple days in January and February where were were wearing T shirts by noon. 1989 wasn't much better except for the Thanksgiving storm. I was lucky enough to be on the Cape for that! Talk about a surprise storm! Forecasters in the area couldn't keep up. We ended up with 18 inches in Truro 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkO said:

That's what my SIL's yard looks like in Portsmouth, RI where I was for Christmas. Her lawn is still growing. I actually enjoyed a cocktail in the sun in the upper 50's. It looked and felt like an early April Easter. That, combined with the recent deluge up north got me thinking how this winter has been a total freaking disaster, especially with nothing to track on the horizon. Sunsets are later, days are getting longer. The freaking ground up at my cabin is not only bare, but not even frozen.

Sorry, had to get it out before I took it out on my dog.

12 hours ago, MBRI said:

Mowed 12-25-2023 

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8835(1).jpg

IMG_8836(1).jpg

IMG_8838(1).jpg

IMG_8839.jpg

11 hours ago, MarkO said:

That's what my SIL's yard looks like in Portsmouth, RI where I was for Christmas. Her lawn is still growing. I actually enjoyed a cocktail in the sun in the upper 50's. It looked and felt like an early April Easter. That, combined with the recent deluge up north got me thinking how this winter has been a total freaking disaster, especially with nothing to track on the horizon. Sunsets are later, days are getting longer. The freaking ground up at my cabin is not only bare, but not even frozen.

Sorry, had to get it out before I took it out on my dog.

Same , visited family for Xmas and at my FIL in Portsmouth, about half a dozen lawns were freshly mowed. I always mowed late when we lived there. I think maybe once could I have mowed around the end of December. Xmas was a beautiful day , upper 50s as you said with no wind.

• Like 1