Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Takes lots of wind to topple bare-limbed hardwoods.  I've seen it happen only twice - the Nov 1950 Apps gale and the frigid NW blasts of 12/31/1962.  That latter event, the backside winds from the blizzard that ate BGR, probably gusted 70+.  It smashed plate glass windows, uprooted 2-ft diameter oaks from semi-frozen ground (temps that day were 5/-8 at our NNJ place), and created 5-ft deep drifts from the 2" of paste that fell late on 12/29.  We could see the gusts coming by the clouds of snow obscuring the upwind trees.

Reached -8 this morning and might approach that again tomorrow.  This is the 3rd straight day with essentially no wind.  I can't remember having the trees remain this snow-loaded this long.  Some high clouds drifting in but most of the morning was pure blue seen between the snowy branches.  Spectacular.

This has been going on since September per my own observation.  Feels like this has been a windless autumn.

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Takes lots of wind to topple bare-limbed hardwoods.  I've seen it happen only twice - the Nov 1950 Apps gale and the frigid NW blasts of 12/31/1962.  That latter event, the backside winds from the blizzard that ate BGR, probably gusted 70+.  It smashed plate glass windows, uprooted 2-ft diameter oaks from semi-frozen ground (temps that day were 5/-8 at our NNJ place), and created 5-ft deep drifts from the 2" of paste that fell late on 12/29.  We could see the gusts coming by the clouds of snow obscuring the upwind trees.

Reached -8 this morning and might approach that again tomorrow.  This is the 3rd straight day with essentially no wind.  I can't remember having the trees remain this snow-loaded this long.  Some high clouds drifting in but most of the morning was pure blue seen between the snowy branches.  Spectacular.

Real winter up there. Nice.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This has been going on since September per my own observation.  Feels like this has been a windless autumn.

Fine by me. When I used to be a walker...I HATED wind when it was cold. There is nothing more pointless than freezing cold WITH wind. When I had to walk places and it was cold and windy...I used to just scream and curse b/c I'd be so angry. 

23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Nice. What's your temp now? Sitting at 25F. Very January-ish. Any frost in the ground will likely be lost by Tues. 

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nudging 20.  Yesterday's max was 23 and we should top out in that vicinity.  It was the first day with 50+ HDDs, my threshold for "winter cold".

Sitting at 20.3° off a low of 6.8°, coldest of the season so far.  Yesterday's high was 24.9° so its been a wintry stretch for sure.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Pics please 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Grinchy OP GFS run at 12z. Back to back Rainers to Mainers on the 20th and 23rd

The bigger question is….do you feel OP runs at 13 and 16 days out are a good representation of where we might be by then?   And before you ask if I would say that if it was showing snow, my answer is “I certainly would.”  

I mean the ensembles are so volatile at 6-7 days out, one can’t put any faith in those currently. So the fact that we have little continuity with those, means the Op runs are even more worthless than normal, and especially so at more than two weeks out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

The bigger question is….do you feel OP runs at 13 and 16 days out are a good representation of where we might be by then?   And before you ask if I would say that if it was showing snow, my answer is “I certainly would.”  

I mean the ensembles are so volatile at 6-7 days out, one can’t put any faith in those currently. So the fact that we have little continuity with those, means the Op runs are even more worthless than normal, and especially so at more than two weeks out. 

No idea if it’s right. Just stating what the model shows.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS are definitely active, but marginal airmasses. Might be an in and up look.

There's a source region problem.  Perhaps that Kara-Siberia ridge starts dislodging some cooler air towards AK/NW Canada that can be tapped into at a later date when +PNA base state returns. 

• Like 1

When you sit back and think about it, the amount of days and weeks and months we waste of possible snow waiting for that elusive pattern change to kick in really is amazing. All the tracking, all the 10 days that keep getting pushed back.. just happens so often.. and before you know it Tip is posting about warm car seats and sun angle on Feb 10.. and then Morch hits 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 5