• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

The "furnace" likely doesn't last beyond D7...  We'll see but there's pretty heavy ensemble support, cross guidance, for a strong -EPO relay into a +PNA...and a deepening L/W axis over Ohio already underway by October 6.   May hold onto southerly deep layer flow along east of Appalachia into the 7th, but we set a +PNAP table pretty coherently in every guidance source by then.

It's also believable for other reasons but the average reader's attention span in here stops right he -

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The "furnace" likely doesn't last beyond D7...  We'll see but there's pretty heavy ensemble support, cross guidance, for a strong -EPO relay into a +PNA...and a deepening L/W axis over Ohio already underway by October 6.   May hold onto southerly deep layer flow along east of Appalachia into the 7th, but we set a +PNAP table pretty coherently in every guidance source by then.

It's also believable for other reasons but the average reader's attention span in here stops right he -

Looks like another soaker next weekend and then maybe Columbus Day period 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

100 percent right on the furnace to start..I would say this is more than just “mild down” by the 9th as modeled. Don’t know if it lasts, but call it what it is.946d6a9a36532066e72cfd432b029f58.jpg

It's real ... but how amplified will be an interesting exercise for me. 

Often when models first detect aspects at the outer "temporal horizon"  ( that range out in time when the noisy long range coalesces into an actual plausibility), they tend to magnify them.  Ridges will be huge.  Troughs will be made to look like wholesale pattern changes.  But then, as the model runs and days click by ... the signal sneakily sheds, both in total tropospheric wave mechanics but also in the metrics they're bringing along ..etc. 

I used the metaphor in the past, the moon over the eastern horizon being the size of a celestial collision .. pure literary art. ha.  

Not every time, though.  Toward the end of last January, the models brought a nasty cold insert into SE Canada and the NE U.S., some 8 days ahead.  Looked like a candidate for "modeling moon rise".  But if we looked at the D8.9.10 runs and compared them to what verified, that was an unusual case of early detection of extremeness that went on to occur. 

I recall a conversation ... 1.24 million years ago when I was still just a college lad. Ah yes, that stage of life where faking post adolescent precocious cynicism only covets a naivete that the world will be kind if you wait long enough ... It was still just the mid 1990s, but we contemplated how big events don't have continuity lapses post emergence through said 'horizon'.  In other words, they are immutable; whatever went on around them along the river of time since they emerged, they were stones while the chaos flowed around them. Go back across your "Sandy" and "Super Storm, 1993" ... just pick one. The big ticket shows had a lot of leading promotional marketing from a long way off.

Granted, in mid '90s the age of modeling was really still rather young. 20 years earlier in the 1970s, there was the LFM ... primitive in skill compared to these modern marvels that entitle to the extent of rolling model heads like the French Inquisition if they dare f-up a day 5 snow storm... Anyone born in 2000 and now coming into their 'age of Meteorological enlightenment' could really benefit by spending a winter season in a throwback forecast camp where they get abused both emotionally and physically as penance whenever they bust a forecast that was hand drawn isohypses from raw radio soundes just to determine where S/Ws are.  You know?  Humility is the pathway to a beautiful soul - which is a fantastic digression into why societal decay is driving humanity to a population correction ... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For the records nerds ... what's the latest 90 F day at LGA, HFD and BOS ?  I imagine it's later down in LGA than CON NH ... but that +18.5 C at 850 on Tuesday at 18z, with a west wind, with zip cloud deck RH

Watch out for smoke contamination . It ruined several 90+ days this summer 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For the records nerds ... what's the latest 90 F day at LGA, HFD and BOS ?  I imagine it's later down in LGA than CON NH ... but that +18.5 C at 850 on Tuesday at 18z, with a west wind, with zip cloud deck RH

BDL 90F 10/17/1908
LGA 92F 10/6/1941
CON 92F 10/16/1879 (90F 10/7/1963 if you exclude the yore)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

BDL 90F 10/17/1908
LGA 92F 10/6/1941
CON 92F 10/16/1879 (90F 10/7/1963 if you exclude the yore)

Lol….hmmm, one of those is 144 yrs ago, another is 115 yrs ago, and the other is 82 yrs ago.  Gee, I guess it was warm in October 100 plus yrs ago too.  What a Shocker!  NOT!

And Concord beats Laguardia both times, and one of them is by 10 days… so very interesting.   

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Ninos often bring chilly Octobers. I’m guessing this will be no exception when we read the tale of the tape in a month.  Sad to be missing the October torch this week-hot days in October tend to be fun and not uncomfortable.  We return home Friday after 2.5 weeks away.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

13 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol….hmmm, one of those is 144 yrs ago, another is 115 yrs ago, and the other is 82 yrs ago.  Gee, I guess it was warm in October 100 plus yrs ago too.  What a Shocker!  NOT!

And Concord beats Laguardia both times, and one of them is by 10 days… so very interesting.   

Thanks for posting. 

:blahblah:

14 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

At Central Park it's 10/17/1938.  1979 only missed by 2° on the 22nd.