• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023

wdrag

Down to 43 and up to 51.   More sun today than yesterday 60s.  Week look dry through Thu (10/12) before warmer 70s THu and Fru.  Next shot at rain this coming weekend Sat evening (10/14) and Sun (10/15). Overall trough and unsettled period could yield mainly cloudy conditions with multiple rain chances into 10/23.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif 

Records :

10/8

Highs:

EWR: 89 (2007)
NYC: 87 (2007)
LGA: 89 (2007)

Lows:

EWR: 32 (1935) - first freeze (earliest)
NYC: 37 (1988)
LGA: 40 (1988)

10/9:

Highs:

EWR:  88 (2011)
NYC: 86 (1916)
LGA: 85 (2011)

Lows:

EWR: 35 (1988)
NYC: 37 (1988)
LGA: 40 (1988)

Historical:

10/8

1871 - Prolonged drought and dessicating winds led to the great Chicago fire, the Peshtigo horror, and the Michigan fire holocaust. Fire destroyed more than seventeen thousand buildings killing more than 200 persons in the city of Chicago, while a fire consumed the town of Peshtigo WI killing more than 1100 persons. In Wisconsin, a million acres of land were burned, and in Michigan, 2.5 million acres were burned killing 200 persons. "Tornadoes of fire" generated by intense heat caused houses to explode in fire, and burned to death scores of persons seeking refuge in open fields. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1901 - A deluge at Galveston, TX, produced nearly twelve inches of rain in about a six hour period. The rains came precisely thirteen months after the day of the famous Galveston hurricane disaster. (David Ludlum)

1919: An intense tornado moved through the town of Hoisington, 11 miles north of Great Bend, Kansas. It damaged or destroyed 60 homes which resulted in $200,000 in damages. Business papers and canceled checks were found at Lincoln, 55 miles to the northeast.

1946: A minimal Category 1 hurricane made landfall over Bradenton, Florida, before tracking north-northeast across Tampa Bay. The storm was the last hurricane to make direct landfall in the Tampa Bay area

1982 - An unusually early snowstorm hit the northern Black Hills of Wyoming and South Dakota. The storm produced up to 54 inches of snow, and winds as high as 70 mph. The snowfall was very much dependent upon topography. Rapid City, 20 miles away, received just a trace of snow. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Unseasonably cold weather prevailed from the Upper Mississippi Valley to the southeastern U.S. Thirty cities reported record low temperatures for the date, including Madison WI with a reading of 22 degrees. The low of 28 degrees at Evansville IN was the coolest of record for so early in the season. Hot weather continued in the southwestern U.S. Phoenix AZ reported a record high of 104 degrees and a record tying 116 days of 100 degree weather for the year. Tucson AZ established an all-time record with 72 days of 100 degree weather for the year. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Snow was reported across parts of northern New England. Two inches blanketed Mount Snow VT. Warm weather continued in the northwestern U.S. The afternoon high of 80 degrees at Stampede Pass WA exceeded their previous record for October by seven degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Morning lows in the 20s were reported from the Northern Plains to the Upper Great Lakes. International Falls MN and Marquette MI reported record lows of 22 degrees. Unseasonably warm weather prevailed in central California as the Oakland Athletics won the American League pennant. San Luis Obispo CA reported a high of 99 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

10/9

1804: The famous Snow Hurricane moved ashore near Atlantic City on this day. After briefly passing through Connecticut and into Massachusetts, cold air was entrained in the circulation with heavy snow falling between New York to southern Canada. Berkshires Massachusetts and Concord New Hampshire record two feet of snow with this hurricane. This storm produced the first observation of snow from a hurricane, but not the last. Hurricane Ginny of 1963 brought up to 18 inches (400 mm) of snow to portions of Maine.

1903 - New York City was deluged with 11.17 inches of rain 24 hours to establish a state record. Severe flooding occurred in the Passaic Valley of New Jersey where more than fifteen inches of rain was reported. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1981 - The temperature at San Juan, Puerto Rico, soared to 98 degrees to establish an all-time record for that location. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Eighteen cities in the southeastern U.S. and the Middle Atlantic Coast Region reported record low temperatures for the date. Asheville NC dipped to 29 degrees, and the record low of 47 degrees at Jacksonville FL marked their fourth of the month. A second surge of cold air brought light snow to the Northern Plains, particularly the Black Hills of South Dakota. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Ten cities in the northeastern U.S. reported record low temperatures for the date, including Hartford CT with a reading of 28 degrees. Snow continued in northern New England through the morning hours. Mount Washington NH reported five inches of snow. Warm weather continued in the western U.S. Los Angeles CA reported a record high of 102 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Unseasonably cold weather continued in the Upper Midwest. Thirteen cities in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana reported record low temperatures for the date, including Marquette MI with a reading of 20 degrees. Unseasonably warm weather continued in the western U.S. as the San Francisco Giants won the National League pennant. San Jose CA reported a record high of 91 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

2001: An unusually strong fall outbreak of tornadoes spawned at least 23 twisters across parts of Nebraska and Oklahoma. Hardest hit was the town of Cordell, OK, but a 22 minute lead time led to an amazingly low casualty count: only nine injuries and no fatalities. 

21 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

If the Pacific firehouse becomes a permanent feature for every season then we are screwed 

I mean yeah if somehow that happened, however I would bet the house against it.

I do not want to contest anything anyone believes w/r/t GW and the severity of the effects l, however I still find it extremely hard to believe winter shut off like a switch after April 2018 (we JUST had a really good winter in 2022).

The mid 50s through 1969 time period was almost as epic snow wise as 2000 through 2018, yet that ended too and there was a relative snow drought from 1970 through 1999. 

Nobody KNOWS what will happen going forward, however MY viewpoint is we are in for another long "snow drought" period with great years sprinkled in (1978, 1994, 1996). I hope I am wrong, but again I lived in the 80s and 90s when GW was all over the news and people thought the extremely warm 90s was the new norm, then 2000 through 2018 happened. It's cyclical  with a background warming theme which is likely caused by natural cycles and human influence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I mean yeah if somehow that happened, however I would bet the house against it.

I do not want to contest anything anyone believes w/r/t GW and the severity of the effects l, however I still find it extremely hard to believe winter shut off like a switch after April 2018 (we JUST had a really good winter in 2022).

The mid 50s through 1969 time period was almost as epic snow wise as 2000 through 2018, yet that ended too and there was a relative snow drought from 1970 through 1999. 

Nobody KNOWS what will happen going forward, however MY viewpoint is we are in for another long "snow drought" period with great years sprinkled in (1978, 1994, 1996). I hope I am wrong, but again I lived in the 80s and 90s when GW was all over the news and people thought the extremely warm 90s was the new norm, then 2000 through 2018 happened. It's cyclical  with a background warming theme which is likely caused by natural cycles and human influence.

However, many times the snow drought was a result of a dome of frigid air.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nycwinter said:

i have had heat on many times already maybe i should close the windows when it gets cold that could help....

I dont think the city people understand how much cooler suburbs are at night and how much cooler a detached house surrounded by trees really is.

My heat has been on and off during the night for a couple of weeks now with a central hvac system set at 70

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I dont think the city people understand how much cooler suburbs are at night and how much cooler a detached house surrounded by trees really is.

My heat has been on and off during the night for a couple of weeks now with a central hvac system set at 70

Yeah when I lived on the 4th floor of an apartment building we never turned on our heat and usually had to open windows

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah when I lived on the 4th floor of an apartment building we never turned on our heat and usually had to open windows

Good afternoon t o g p, S 74. Very true regarding urban temperature and heat within a building. Living in a 140 year old row house, i remember…  my lost love was complaining that the rooms were cold not too long after the steam heat had come up. I remember her saying “where is all the damn heat going”. Our floor had 12 foot ceilings, which  was customary for the parlor floor of those buildings. I got my aluminum step ladder and asked her to climb up as far as she could and tell me how it feels. I believe she thought I had lost a brick or two from the chimney but she humored me and climbed to the top and gasped. I suggested we lower the ceiling or replace the chandelier with a ceiling fan. My love said no to both suggestions. So on days when the out side winds and temperatures were at their worst she would wear one of the beautiful sweaters her mom had crocheted.Thank you for the memory. She looked so beautiful smiling and warm at the top of that ladder. Stay well, as always …

• Like 3