Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2023

George BM

13 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Unless there's more to the story, what an embarrassment the Os ownership is. 

John Angelos is really pathetic. 

I know this is not earth shattering news with how little and sad the Angelos' are but wow. Awful.

Unreal!! There's no way the son can be that big of a creep but it's not surprising. The new lease situation is very unnerving. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Unreal!! There's no way the son can be that big of a creep but it's not surprising. The new lease situation is very unnerving. 

I don't trust John Angelos at all. Not having a new lease this late in the game seems crazy to me.

Would not shock me at all if he tries to move the team, if he doesn't sell them. 

I wouldn't think MLB would let them move but who knows.

Still waiting on him to open the books lol.

• Like 3

Some other teams' booths have gone off about this - Gary Cohen (play-by-play for the Mets) and Michael Kay (play-by-play for the Yanks) have both basically said WTF.  I watched the video and was waiting for the typical racist/misogynistic/bigoted thing that gets folks like this canned - and was waiting, and waiting, and waiting.  I've never heard of anything remotely like this before.

• Like 1

Goodness gracious what a mess (was hoping it was just rumors, but as the day went on more sources started talking, it seems) And now John Angelos is getting eviscerated all over sports (and it's only getting louder, lol) It is an embarrassment...but at the same time frickin' awesome! Literally nobody agrees with this, and can't believe that it was just this and how petty and small it is!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Unless there's more to the story, what an embarrassment the Os ownership is. 

John Angelos is really pathetic. 

I know this is not earth shattering news with how little and sad the Angelos' are but wow. Awful.

I can't explain how embarrassing this is to the whole organization.  Kevin Brown was reporting factual information everyone can look up. The other issue here is that that segment was produced, not just an off comment made on the air.  There was a graphic and more than likely it was part of the story line for the series in Tampa.  I really hope this isn't another Jon Miller debacle.  

Sports team owners need to just need to put the money up and sit back.  Heck it isn't even his money....

• Like 2

Thing is, the O's were becoming a national, feel-good story: a team that had been so bad was now so good, put together right, with a bunch of young, enthusiastic guys. Beating soundly all the big-payroll teams. And then this ass mini-Angelos comes along and kiboshes the PBP guy for merely stating fact. That's a horrible look: not only being a real jerk, but a dummy, since much of the goodwill being directed at the O's by the baseball-following public will dissolve as a result of this petty behavior.

Brittany Ghiroli, an excellent reporter who used to be on the O's beat before she went nationwide and who doubtlessly still has sources in the O's organization, went on a diatribe against Angelos jr. this morning, saying this is part of a pattern of ridiculous behavior for John Angelos and that it doesn't surprise her at all. She's never struck me as someone who says things just to stir up controversy; her reporting is usually measured and nuanced.  

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/the-big-bad-morning-show-10d9e/episodes/the-athletics-britt-ghiroli-shares-why-the-kevin-brown-situation-is-par-for-the-course-for-the-orioles-franchise-ab6c5

• Like 4

Finally.

I was 18 when the Orioles won the 1983 World Series. I had been a huge fan since my dad took me to my first game on 33rd Street in 1976. During the first decade of being an Orioles fan meant 2 things:

• A whole lot of winning
  • An organization that was the envy of baseball - "The Oriole Way"

Back then, I was naïve enough to think that winning titles would come rather quickly...an excruciating loss in '79 followed by a 100 win season in '80. The incredible end to the '82 season followed by the '83 championship team. Life was so good...

That was 40 years ago. Man, I'm getting older. Older, and still waiting for a return trip to the Fall Classic. So many of the last 40 years have been lost and hopeless. But now, the young guns are flourishing and it's been an absolute joy to watch. This team is fun. It plays hard. They play the game the right way. It's almost like a rewind of the clock back to when I was a kid...

But...now this. You all have said it better than I can. What an embarrassment. The thing that makes this particularly bad is that it now diminishes what's happening on the field. For the first time since I was a kid, the Orioles have been talked about by others with admiration...respect...awe...and now this. 

Why? How can a family be such a public relations disaster? 

• Like 3

You know what I miss? Growing up in the late 70s, ALL of the 80s, and at least the early 90s...being able to throw myself into being a fan of players in professional football, baseball, hockey et al, across any number of states and franchises....and not having to worry about all of the f*cking drama off of the field/diamond, be it owners, an owners' conglomerate, the players, and...all the rest.

The most controversial "thing" I remember growing up? As a young Baltimore Colts fan growing up in north central PA, waking up one morning and realizing that my "Baltimore Colts" t-shirts and sweatshirts had to be traded in for Indianapolis-branded crap (NOT)....well, you all know where that path of disappointment leads.

That one event was like the first in a long line of disappointments in professional sports. And most of that crap is pretty much why I've given up on following any professional sports in recent years. It's wearying. And really not worth the investment of time/emotion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Finally.

I was 18 when the Orioles won the 1983 World Series. I had been a huge fan since my dad took me to my first game on 33rd Street in 1976. During the first decade of being an Orioles fan meant 2 things:

• A whole lot of winning
  • An organization that was the envy of baseball - "The Oriole Way"

Back then, I was naïve enough to think that winning titles would come rather quickly...an excruciating loss in '79 followed by a 100 win season in '80. The incredible end to the '82 season followed by the '83 championship team. Life was so good...

That was 40 years ago. Man, I'm getting older. Older, and still waiting for a return trip to the Fall Classic. So many of the last 40 years have been lost and hopeless. But now, the young guns are flourishing and it's been an absolute joy to watch. This team is fun. It plays hard. They play the game the right way. It's almost like a rewind of the clock back to when I was a kid...

But...now this. You all have said it better than I can. What an embarrassment. The thing that makes this particularly bad is that it now diminishes what's happening on the field. For the first time since I was a kid, the Orioles have been talked about by others with admiration...respect...awe...and now this. 

Why? How can a family be such a public relations disaster? 

Because they run the team like a consulting firm. It's a business. They're in it for the money, not the winning.

• Like 1

In the end Kevin Brown gets screwed because now he has a little bit of a sullied reputation with folks wondering what really happened. What could he have done to Angelo's to piss him off? Most likely nothing. But still it still besmirches his reputation a bit.

People are getting sick and tired of summer. I know I am. It hit a blazing 105 again today.

Check this out:

This is the REAL McCoy! https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/mccoy-station They STILL have snow!

Check out their weather observations! Highs in the 50s and 60s! In AUGUST! Thats because they are above 9000 feet elevation!

https://mammothmountain.westernweathergroup.com/

The Northeast has NOTHING on the western ski resorts! Not even in the winter! Okay, maybe Mt Washington might. That place is very cold, snowy and windswept.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Glad things are back on.  Nothing better than flushing a toilet again

Very glad to hear you guys got the power back on. Thats definitely NOT fun. Last winter we got iced out and no power for a week! No heat. No lights. No stove. Not a single luxury. Kind of like Gilligan's Island but cold as heck!

More travel banter but we survived last night’s storms and got up early to drive up to Lake Louise. Decided on the Plain of Six Glaciers hike.  

Hopefully all have their power back on and damage was minimal. One of my travel companions that lives in my neighborhood at home is still without power and she got an alert it won’t be back on until Friday at 11pm. Nuts to that. We’re off to Jasper tomorrow for a few days.

image.jpeg.7792543d9ea4f7a55b620c0faeec4f07.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a0a5ac0ede5e3f676fec3ea406c58e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.d076b522f2213d7e89423f966d2051c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.605bd45bf1d5a24686b4ea0ae84e10d3.jpeg

• Like 15

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic