Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2023

George BM

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

More travel banter but we survived last night’s storms and got up early to drive up to Lake Louise. Decided on the Plain of Six Glaciers hike.  

Hopefully all have their power back on and damage was minimal. One of my travel companions that lives in my neighborhood at home is still without power and she got an alert it won’t be back on until Friday at 11pm. Nuts to that. We’re off to Jasper tomorrow for a few days.

image.jpeg.7792543d9ea4f7a55b620c0faeec4f07.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a0a5ac0ede5e3f676fec3ea406c58e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.d076b522f2213d7e89423f966d2051c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.605bd45bf1d5a24686b4ea0ae84e10d3.jpeg

I'd be digging snow!

• Like 2

Just sitting here going through my winter notes from the past several years. Obviously, it's been a bad stretch, but it's hitting me that I haven't experienced a 6+ inch snowfall in my yard in 7 full winters, just north of Baltimore.  

Here's to hoping this winter doesn't make it 8!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

More travel banter but we survived last night’s storms and got up early to drive up to Lake Louise. Decided on the Plain of Six Glaciers hike.  

Hopefully all have their power back on and damage was minimal. One of my travel companions that lives in my neighborhood at home is still without power and she got an alert it won’t be back on until Friday at 11pm. Nuts to that. We’re off to Jasper tomorrow for a few days.

image.jpeg.7792543d9ea4f7a55b620c0faeec4f07.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a0a5ac0ede5e3f676fec3ea406c58e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.d076b522f2213d7e89423f966d2051c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.605bd45bf1d5a24686b4ea0ae84e10d3.jpeg

We are planning on that trip sometime in the next 5 years.  Are you happy with the time of year?  

The very latest on our toasty weather where I am at......

.LONG TERM...
(Friday through Wednesday)
Issued at 137 PM CDT Wed Aug 9 2023

We`ve run out of superlatives to describe the current weather
situation. It`s still very hot. It`s still very dry. The risk for
wildfires and heat health concerns will remain very high into the
weekend, and are unlikely to improve significantly beyond that
through the next 1-2 weeks. And given the extended time period we`ve
been in this mess, the risk for complacency may increase.

Not much new can be said about the weather situation. Subtropical
ridging will continue to hold true over the southern tier of the US,
with H5 height anomalies increasing this weekend and maximizing
nearby during the first half of next week. The good news is that we
do expect some improvement (reduction) in surface wind speeds by
Monday, which could help somewhat in the Fire Weather department,
however it also appears we`ll see even lower afternoon RH values so
fire danger will remain high. As we`ve seen over the past 2 weeks or
so it doesn`t take much for fires to start and spread with fuels as
dry as they are. This heightened fire weather threat is unlikely to
go away over the next 2 weeks despite some improvement early next
week.

It's likely to continue to rinse and repeat every day around 104-105, lows around 80, probably right into next month as the wonderfully sunny high pressure has settled in for a nice long vacation in Texas. It is definitely keeping the weeds down, lol. EDIT 629pm today, high in Buda hit 107 degrees. That's pure air temperature, NOT heat index. This is getting ridiculous, lol.

It was only supposed to hit 104 today! lol

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=EWX&issuedby=EWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

The silver lining here is that the cool East trough/hot west Heat Dome of Doom alignment will likely continue right into the New Year, resulting in storminess and below normal temps for the Mid Atlantic. Stock up on energy drinks and beer, because you guys are gonna be on those models for months starting in November. Stock up on Jebman Shovels, too. You're gonna need 'em. Temperatures will trend down especially in September for the Mid Atlantic, bringing progressively cooler rain storms and fronts through the OND timeframe, gradually shading down into rain to snow phase change weather, and then on down into snow after snow after snow in the Mid Atlantic. It will be a truly Memorable Nino for snow weenies and weather enthusiasts. Washington DC will have a White Christmas, then get utterly crippled on New Year's Eve by a fantastic comma head laden with ridiculously torrential snows.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

We are planning on that trip sometime in the next 5 years.  Are you happy with the time of year?  

Yes, but there has been some smoke, but as everyone knows, this year has been (hopefully) unique. As far as temps, they’ve been great. Precip has been mostly dry but there have been clouds. We’ve yet to have a completely clear night to try out my star tracking photo gear, but overall dry.

Given a choice (and in a couple years, I’ll be retired) I’d come back in September to avoid the crowds. Now, as a teacher, I’m confined to summer break.

But, as one of my travel companions said, it’s amazing what getting an early start and a hill will do to thin the crowds.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That lake water, wow!

I purchased a “GuideAlong” for the drive today and it was so funny that the first thing the guide said was, “Hopefully you have clear weather for all the sights today!”

Our weather was pretty cruddy so if the weather is clear on Sunday when we drive to Glacier, we will be hitting up some of the same stops. The guide made a point of saying the sunnier the sky, the more vivid the glacial water.

7 hours ago, Darkstorm said:

It’s a 2 game losing streak against a good team. Think it’s a bit premature call it any of that.

You are correct, Houston is a really strong team with a lot of experience too.. 

Maybe I had a bad day yesterday, but just had a bad feeling after giving all of those runs up late in both games.  I know that Bautista will recover, but it seems like the middle relievers are just  walking way too many batters in the past few weeks and that is concerning. 

I also hope they don't play down to their opponents level with some of the weaker teams coming up on the schedule. 

11 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Can we blame Angelos, or is this just the law of averages working it's way out? 

There playing a great team in Houston. I just find it interesting that they imploded on Tuesday night after the shit storm on Monday.....

But we can always blame John Angelos. He's a turd

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris78 said:

There playing a great team in Houston. I just find it interesting that they imploded on Tuesday night after the shit storm on Monday.....

But we can always blame John Angelos. He's a turd

Enjoy it while it lasts. Can't keep winning if the young talented players smartly drafted and developed in the minors end up Yankees and Dodgers in a few years. They won't pay. Worst ownership in sports now that Snyder was finally booted.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We only did a 8 mile hike today, but there was a lot of rock scrambling and elevation gain. The mountain made a lot of sounds today. Definitely heard glaciers cracking and rocks falling. And Jasper is incredible. What a great town!

image.jpeg.e432ee08432e0411661c0507cab1523d.jpeg

image.jpeg.43e7a4df3a35b338a56a0f1bfabd0fee.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c5d3505c60f2f8268e02bd69801f940.jpeg

And I touched my first ever glacier!

image.jpeg.71c4ca4f49468d41fc0caf0ce1d4f762.jpeg

Awesome!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Can't keep winning if the young talented players smartly drafted and developed in the minors end up Yankees and Dodgers in a few years. They won't pay. Worst ownership in sports now that Snyder was finally booted.

Will they still be in Baltimore when their young talented players leave for the Yankees and Dodgers?

This lease deal dragging on is getting ridiculous. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

It's still ongoing. Yesterday was "hot" here. Around 80. Heading to Yorkshire Dales tomorrow, but the weather looks more showery.

If you are still there over the weekend, you should try to find a local pub and watch a premier league game since this is the opening weekend for the season. 

• Like 1

Just a little bit of Texan Summer humor lol......

.LONG TERM...
(Saturday night through Thursday)
Issued at 220 AM CDT Fri Aug 11 2023

Control+C, Control+V yesterday`s discussion. We continue what seems
like our never-ending stretch of record heat over South Central
Texas through the long term forecast period. The only glimmer of hope
may reside in the Subtropical Ridge migrating ever so slightly back
to the north and west early next week, which may result in some
seabreeze shower and storm activity, especially over the Coastal
Plains. The latest NBM actually came in with 20-30% PoPs over much of
the CWA for 18Z Tue-00Z Wed, but with continued hot and dry
conditions and extremely dry soils and fuels, opted to remove PoPs
for all but the Coastal Plains Tuesday afternoon. While flow may be
more northwesterly and deterministic guidance may be feeding the NBM
with higher PoPs, the latest ECMWF and GFS ensembles paint a
completely different picture, with little to no rain in any of their
respective members. Fire Weather concerns will continue as long as
the extreme heat continues, but we should see a slight nudge down in
overall wind speeds Sunday through next week, which should lower the
fire weather concerns just a bit. However, headlines are still
possible given extremely dry fuels and the possibility of wildfires
highly resistant to control.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=EWX&issuedby=EWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

We hit 106 degrees yesterday. We'll likely do it again today.

I think it's high time for another leisurely jebwalk.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We only did a 8 mile hike today, but there was a lot of rock scrambling and elevation gain. The mountain made a lot of sounds today. Definitely heard glaciers cracking and rocks falling. And Jasper is incredible. What a great town!

image.jpeg.e432ee08432e0411661c0507cab1523d.jpeg

image.jpeg.43e7a4df3a35b338a56a0f1bfabd0fee.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c5d3505c60f2f8268e02bd69801f940.jpeg

And I touched my first ever glacier!

image.jpeg.71c4ca4f49468d41fc0caf0ce1d4f762.jpeg

I am very, VERY jealous!

Be very careful tryin to jebwalk on that ice! It's very slippery!

A glacier is NO place for a jebwalk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jebman said:

I am very, VERY jealous!

Be very careful tryin to jebwalk on that ice! It's very slippery!

A glacier is NO place for a jebwalk.

Totally agree about the walks on a glacier without a pro tour group. We were very respectful around the glacier knowing that it’s a potentially volatile area. Pictures don’t do justice to the size and danger.

Today was a lazy day around Jasper. Got down into the 30’s last night so no hurry getting up, and then opted for a coffee house latte and pastries in town over the traditional cowboy coffee and scrambled egg burritos at the campsite.

Walked the town a bit and checked out the cool railroad station, then hit up the tram to the near summit of Whistler’s Mountain (not to be confused with the biggie outside Vancouver). Hiked the final kilometer to the summit and had a late lunch and beer back at the tram.

image.jpeg.855f5cedb4acbf75c4d7e17d549bf057.jpeg

image.jpeg.6977b0074a6c3aa91075688d5fde15a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.e061152fa4a469c1c2704088d5356a6c.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2abbf594fb01c55055b5f95c95986c5.jpeg

• Like 9

16 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Totally agree about the walks on a glacier without a pro tour group. We were very respectful around the glacier knowing that it’s a potentially volatile area. Pictures don’t do justice to the size and danger.

Today was a lazy day around Jasper. Got down into the 30’s last night so no hurry getting up, and then opted for a coffee house latte and pastries in town over the traditional cowboy coffee and scrambled egg burritos at the campsite.

Walked the town a bit and checked out the cool railroad station, then hit up the tram to the near summit of Whistler’s Mountain (not to be confused with the biggie outside Vancouver). Hiked the final kilometer to the summit and had a late lunch and beer back at the tram.

image.jpeg.855f5cedb4acbf75c4d7e17d549bf057.jpeg

image.jpeg.6977b0074a6c3aa91075688d5fde15a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.e061152fa4a469c1c2704088d5356a6c.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2abbf594fb01c55055b5f95c95986c5.jpeg

Glad to see you are having a good time, but those pics are makin me so jealous.

• Thanks 1

Here is an excerpt from todays AFD here in Scorch, Texas:

.LONG TERM...
(Sunday night through Friday)
Issued at 232 AM CDT Sat Aug 12 2023

The Subtropical High that has remained centered over the region for
the better part of the last 2 months shows little sign of budging in
the long term.

This pattern is already becoming semi permanent. I continue to theorize that the cool wet East / Hellish hot very dry scorched West and South/Southwest pattern alignment will more or less obtain into the New Year, and that this will result in a very cold very snowy winter for the Mid Atlantic. Texas will dry up and blow away, as will most of the Deep South and the usual suspect areas in the West. I think that 100s may continue unabated and unabashed in Texas, into possibly November! While in the East, rains will continue and cold front after cold front will smash into the Mid Atlantic into the new year. For all intents and purposes, Autumn has already begun in the Mid Atlantic, and temps will become progressively cooler, then chilly, then transition down into snow weather. Not only will DC have a white Christmas, but they may also end up with a white Thanksgiving! Hellageddon will continue apace in the Deep South, centered upon Texas, for the next few months, while the East will get cooler and cooler and will get a lot of rain, much more than usual per strong Nino, then snow, and lots of it.

Heads up if you are trying to travel NB on 395…the highway is closed due to a suspect stealing a truck and basically hitting multiple vehicles on 66 and 395 -  the arlnow story shows a video of the truck basically driving through cars as they were stopped in traffic.  The police caught the loser but there are multiple injuries, some serious.

https://www.arlnow.com/2023/08/12/breaking-numerous-crashes-block-i-395-after-tractor-trailer-hit-and-run-suspect-steals-arlington-ambulance/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic