Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

19 minutes ago, GATECH said:

No problem.  I didn’t water the front grass so, win!  Trying to think how I use this power in winter for good…not like I can lay snow on my yard before a potential snowstorm….hmmmm.

Now that you made it rain can you go cut my grass?  Won’t be back in town until Friday-ish. K thx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

I noticed a line of light returns on radar moving from NE to SW before all this fired up.

It looks like the storm was just dying out and I guess collapsing on itself. Quickly weakened to the northeast. One of the longest duration hail storms I have ever been in. Some stones definitely were bigger than half inch. Wild. Front yard https://fb.watch/m08-ZxzBy5/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Zilch again but I knew that last Friday's early morning thunderstorm was it for the summer here.  I envy places that got such a good dousing before going into the heat wave but I'll just run my sprinkler system hard before going to work tomorrow.  That's desert living. Next summer I'm gonna have to let go of certain plants I like and go with more drought tolerant stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

And for the cherry on top, a storm sliding just to my south.  Hearing the thunder and close enough to see the rain curtain. 

Cursed place.

It sucks , you are far worse than me the last 90 days...everything is growing and nice and green, thanks to the end of June cutoff low... Just drove through a monumental downpour less than 1 mile from home... Get home .03 in gauge 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 87storms said:

Frederick’s storm shield did a fantastic job again today. Maybe the incoming heat wave will melt it and a new pattern will emerge.

Got just 0.1” yesterday. I expect actual highs to overperform forecasts as has been the trend all July. May even hit 100 while wetter locations top out at 98 this week. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Got just 0.1” yesterday. I expect actual highs to overperform forecasts as has been the trend all July. May even hit 100 while wetter locations top out at 98 this week. 

Wonder if this is of of those heatwaves where IAD and BWI both hit 100F while DCA falls just short.

First heat advisory for us this year.

Heat Advisory
Issued: 9:01 AM Jul. 26, 2023 – National Weather Service
...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heat index values around 105 degrees expected.

* WHERE...The Washington and Baltimore Metropolitan areas, central
and northeast Maryland, southern Maryland, and portions of
northern Virginia into the Virginia Piedmont.

* WHEN...From 11 AM to 8 PM EDT Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Heat and humidity will increase the potential for
heat related illnesses, particularly for those working or
participating in outdoor activities.
  • Like 1

Nearest CoCoRaHs to my location in Burke shows 0.6" for yesterday. That's a little higher than I thought it might be, but it does make sense since the cell blew up just enough to get us in north end of the reds as it passed.

Since they don't always report, I'm not sure how reliable those CoCoRaHs are for the month, but they all show about 4" of rain. I think that tracks pretty well with what I would have expected.

40 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Nearest CoCoRaHs to my location in Burke shows 0.6" for yesterday. That's a little higher than I thought it might be, but it does make sense since the cell blew up just enough to get us in north end of the reds as it passed.

Since they don't always report, I'm not sure how reliable those CoCoRaHs are for the month, but they all show about 4" of rain. I think that tracks pretty well with what I would have expected.

If you have an account, you can do a station report summary. Here’s mine, for example, but you can chart any station.

IMG_5766.thumb.jpeg.1953a3befa08fa29973d90f1dfed7413.jpeg

• Like 2

Got to get through perhaps some "big heat" before Sunday now.

Excessive Heat Watch
Issued: 1:57 PM Jul. 26, 2023 – National Weather Service
...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 8 PM EDT
THURSDAY...
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH
FRIDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...For the Heat Advisory, heat index values around 105 expected.
For the Excessive Heat Watch, dangerously hot conditions with
heat index values up to 110 possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, north central, northeast,
northern and southern Maryland, The District of Columbia and
central and northern Virginia.

* WHEN...For the Heat Advisory, from 11 AM to 8 PM EDT Thursday.
For the Excessive Heat Watch, from Friday morning through
Friday evening.

* IMPACTS...Extreme heat and humidity will significantly increase
the potential for heat related illnesses, particularly for those
working or participating in outdoor activities.
  • Like 1

The big heat the GFS is throwing out for the Midwest next week is downright scary. I can't ever remember such a wide swathe being forecast that far over 100 degrees, for 12+ hours in a single day. Lows in KC Tuesday night would be in the upper 90s...

gfs_T2m_us_26.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic