Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

how about dxr? Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no bufkit location for dxr (dumb) and nothing relatively close. Closest would be HPN but I think that's  bit too far southwest to be a good proxy. 

there probably would be dry slot concerns across much of CT for a time (GFS verbatim) but it seems like H7 would evolve in a nature which would get CT with good banding. 

I'm also noticing too that even on point-and-click soundings (plus bufkit profile locations), that soundings are colder then model 2M output. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Jesus what a mess. The mesos look far more impactful than the globals here in CT. High high bust potential. 

I think where you are the HRRR/3k ideas tomorrow are not that crazy but the snows it shows back as far as SW CT to me are probably bogus as the whole evolution of the storm IMO is too sloppy to produce that degree of snow coverage

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Unfortunately there is no bufkit location for dxr (dumb) and nothing relatively close. Closest would be HPN but I think that's  bit too far southwest to be a good proxy. 

there probably would be dry slot concerns across much of CT for a time (GFS verbatim) but it seems like H7 would evolve in a nature which would get CT with good banding. 

I'm also noticing too that even on point-and-click soundings (plus bufkit profile locations), that soundings are colder then model 2M output. 

That is odd....Thanks anyways. From a meteorological standpoint, it will be interesting to watch this storm unfold. I expect mostly rain here, but I would assume some fun "positive" busts are going to occur somewhere. Hopefully for all of CT of course, lol...

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It could be right. But man it’s jumpy even given the dynamics of this.

You just can’t ride it like we used to. It used to sniff out an evolution and make incremental adjustments which made it easier to forecast…but nowadays it jumps around like every other model. It’s JAM now.  

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You just can’t ride it like we used to. It used to sniff out an evolution and make incremental adjustments which made it easier to forecast…but nowadays it jumps around like every other model. It’s JAM now.  

The good news is its due for an upgrade soon...the bad news as a poster said here last night is the NAM is set to be discontinued perhaps....its fallen behind schedule since the plan was for the HRRR to run to 84 I believe, but as we've seen the HRRR often has a major BL cool bias beyond 18-24 and sometimes even a midlevel one too

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

That is odd....Thanks anyways. From a meteorological standpoint, it will be interesting to watch this storm unfold. I expect mostly rain here, but I would assume some fun "positive" busts are going to occur somewhere. Hopefully for all of CT of course, lol...

Yeah this is certainly going to be fun to watch unfold. I am thinking there will certainly be positive busts across Connecticut. I know when looking at a product like bufkit it's just going to be reflective of the model, but when you're talking about a location like BDL or even HFD, in the valley, and looking for a screw job...I would expect to see some different looks then what bufkit is offering. It's really just going to come down to the CCB and whether we get it to move across the state...if that happens we're all golden. 

18 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Jesus what a mess. The mesos look far more impactful than the globals here in CT. High high bust potential. 

People keep referring to this has having a 'high bust potential'

Busting what, though?

I don't know what they think will bust when every solution is on the table and almost equally plausible here. 

I think people have it sort of instilled in their deeper mentality that a big snow event not happening, must be a bust. But that's not really( in the philosophical sense) fair to pin that on models when they are all demonstrating pour continuity.  If folks' expectations are high, and that is not fulfilled, pure logic would thus dictate in a situation such as this, that it is their expectation that is busting... IF that's what we mean by bust for a system that has vast spread and continuity problems, than sure - but ... we can certainly control our expectations? That's on us.

• Like 2

I’ve never been part of a forecast like this. It’s truly extraordinary that we’re at game time and have this much spread potential. Normally I would have expected the high res to be torched with the globals gone wild.

I’m having a hard time rationalizing taking the globals over the high res, when the high res should have a better handle on boundary layer and mesoscale features, other than looking at reputation of the globals. 

We’ve gotten spoiled with the technology at our disposal. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Euro looks good. Just need another tick north at 12z. :scooter:

when we jump that significantly just as event unfolding, it will probably tick more.  Wasn’t up messages, but did have a sense of the uncertainty and the possibility of something good for us Lots of possibilities here for a big band to get up to us.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve never been part of a forecast like this. It’s truly extraordinary that we’re at game time and have this much spread potential. Normally I would have expected the high res to be torched with the globals gone wild.

I’m having a hard time rationalizing taking the globals over the high res, when the high res should have a better handle on boundary layer and mesoscale features, other than looking at reputation of the globals. 

We’ve gotten spoiled with the technology at our disposal. 

I would think models made to handle convection would do better. But at this point who the heck knows. 

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The good news is its due for an upgrade soon...the bad news as a poster said here last night is the NAM is set to be discontinued perhaps....its fallen behind schedule since the plan was for the HRRR to run to 84 I believe, but as we've seen the HRRR often has a major BL cool bias beyond 18-24 and sometimes even a midlevel one too

The less models the better imo but the euro should roll back several upgrades instead lol. I’m sure it scores really well at H5 in Scandinavia.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

People keep referring to this has having a 'high bust potential'

Busting what, though?

I don't know what they think will bust when every solution is on the table and almost equally plausible here. 

I think people have it sort of instilled in their deeper mentality that a big snow event not happening, must be a bust. But that's not really( in the philosophical sense) fair to pin that on models when they are all demonstrating pour continuity.  If folks' expectations are high, and that is not fulfilled, pure logic dictates their expectation is what is busting... IF that's what we mean by bust for a system that has vast spread and continuity problems, than sure - but ... we can certainly control our expectations? That's on us.

Logic to me is a sub 925 passing under us with tremendous crashing heights would inflict a colder solution to the coast.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So much for saving a horse 

You guys have been telling me how good it is with these…it’s leading the way.  Lmao.  It sucks! Period. Can’t keep a solution to save its ass. Not that the others have been any better. But I don’t want to hear how good it is anymore…cuz it isn’t. JAM. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1