Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We will be heading to the top of loon on the gondola one day, and hiking around. We are going to go to lower falls on the Kanc one day, and probably hit up some local swimming holes and short hikes as well.

There's a big race at Loon that weekend - might want to avoid that day, since they're encouraging carpooling.

https://www.loonmtn.com/events/loon-mtn-race

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We will be heading to the top of loon on the gondola one day, and hiking around. We are going to go to lower falls on the Kanc one day, and probably hit up some local swimming holes and short hikes as well.

Lower falls is awesome, but it gets crowded on hot days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

With such a jagged, freeform state outline, and rough topography, I didn't realize so many town borders are orthogonal looking. 

Most of those square/rectangular townships were surveyed before many/any people lived there.  Of interest (to me, as I worked there 10 years) are the WELS towns (west of the easterly line of the state) which, unlike more southerly towns, were laid out at true north rather than magnetic.  Many have no names beyond the township/range numbers.  My favorite trout town, Deboullie (25 miles SW from Fort Kent), is also labeled T15R9.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Most of those square/rectangular townships were surveyed before many/any people lived there.  Of interest (to me, as I worked there 10 years) are the WELS towns (west of the easterly line of the state) which, unlike more southerly towns, were laid out at true north rather than magnetic.  Many have no names beyond the township/range numbers.  My favorite trout town, Deboullie (25 miles SW from Fort Kent), is also labeled T15R9.

Bigfoot lives there.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Chaser Report: 7/4/23 :weenie:

Yesterday was fantastic. It started with storms in Sioux Falls and it was a lot of driving from Sioux Falls to Kearney, NE. I was between going to CO or heading to KS, but decided to head to the high plains. In NE CO, everything was collapsing and that eventually led me south in eastern Colorado and then west when the target was acquired. 

yOK1dMh.jpg

s97d5lx.jpg

It was a nice supercell initially but kept cycling. There was a report of a funnel cloud, and if you look closely maybe you can see one, but in real time it didn’t stand out as such.

Very quickly after this storm departed, a big dog line rapidly formed to the west near Denver. As we were traveling toward Denver you could see the massive complex come together with frequent lightning and a clear hail core.

We stopped in Bennett and it was a good call. The storm was hellacious. Here’s a new video of what it looked like. Areas just west reported winds between 60-67mph.

Yesterday was long but a great early birthday present. Hoping for more action today in CO or NM.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:31 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

better than Loon gondola jmo, ofc not far from Lincoln/Woodstock at all

https://www.cannonmt.com/things-to-do/attractions/tram

50 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

apparently I had the wrong place. actually going to Santa's village, but either would be a first for me. bringing the 5 year old

5 is good for either. I always liked Santa’s Village better than Storyland. Not sure why, maybe because it’s 30-45 minutes closer to me?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

What's the proper age for a youngin' to visit Storyland for the 1st time?

We went with my 1 & 3 year old nephews last summer.  The 1/3 did fine, but keep your expectations in check for how long you'll actually make it into the day.  I think my kids were probably 2 and 4 the first time we went.  

I'd say the ages we enjoyed it the most was when the kids were between 5 and 8, as they could ride all rides (plus no nap/stroller)

• Like 1

Final chase report. What a trip. Just wish yesterday popped a little earlier. 

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Chaser Report: 7/6/23

It was a classic hurry up and wait day, as a complex forecast evolved over eastern Colorado. I decided to hold in Denver, as the CAMs remained confident in the cap breaking and we had clearing that allowed for substantial destabilization. 

It was late afternoon when we had convective initiation, with two transient supercells just east of Denver. Both dropped funnels, and there were reports of a tornado and landspout. 

KzXeYdP.jpg

Once we reached Limon, things quickly picked up. New storms popped to my north

qrfGkWD.jpg

and south

YzZN7t0.jpg

MnmxN4d.jpg

It became apparent very quickly that the southern storms, which were explosively developing before my eyes in an environment of 3,000 SBCAPE, 2,500 MLCAPE and 50-70kts effective shear were the ones to track. The chase…was on…

What were distinct cells ended up congealing into a monster long track supercell with a hail core at at least one initial tornado report. 

WLDBVHW.jpg

yprmHMR.png

The sun was setting so it was hard to see how close it was to producing a tornado but I did see a wall cloud behind the frequent lightning. 

u35EgcE.jpg

LgUk5Vn.jpg

4z5U61q.jpg

sfZ7aDb.jpg

Rather than try to cut behind the storm and beat the other supercells that were developing to get to Lamar, I called it after these photos. It was an excellent call, as the supercell became tornado warned, dropped more baseball hail, and caused flash flooding along what would have been my route. 

The only downside is that yesterday became a nocturnal threat as the cap broke late. I pushed it to the limit and it paid off. It was an epic chase overall. This is my third time out here and each time I’m getting better at forecasting and tracking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old story

I was just reading how Nathan Eovaldi wanted to resign with the Sox this winter . He is 10-3 with a 2.80 Era . The Sox are brain dead.  He had been a very solid starter with ERA in upper 3’s for them. They decided to go with a hodge Podge or has been’s and never Will B’s (and a crippled that are stuck With)

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/prospects/red-sox-reportedly-pulled-offer-for-nathan-eovaldi-after-spending-elsewhere-scott7

On 7/6/2023 at 11:03 PM, mreaves said:

5 is good for either. I always liked Santa’s Village better than Storyland. Not sure why, maybe because it’s 30-45 minutes closer to me?

When Storyland was owned by the Morell family it was a great value.  After they sold it it became much more expensive.   We still preferred Santa’s Village.   I do miss having kids young enough that we would go to those.  Last time was 2018. 
Storyland does have a newish coaster that is great for its small size

Just found out something new weather-wise that happened in this area quite a while back.

Until 2000, there was a small amusement park located in Lunenburg called Whalom Park.  I never visited it but had driven past it many times prior to it closing. There are condos on the site now.

From 1940 until it was demolished in 2006 there was a wooden roller coaster called the Comet.  Prior to that coaster, there was another coaster called the Flying Star.  

That coaster was heavily damaged in a storm in 1938.  I had always assumed it was from the 1938 hurricane.

Turns out that in August of 1938 the area was hit by a tornado that did decent damage, including to Whalom Park.  There had been another tornado in the area in 1924 that killed at least 1 person

• Like 5

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Old story

I was just reading how Nathan Eovaldi wanted to resign with the Sox this winter . He is 10-3 with a 2.80 Era . The Sox are brain dead.  He had been a very solid starter with ERA in upper 3’s for them. They decided to go with a hodge Podge or has been’s and never Will B’s (and a crippled that are stuck With)

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/prospects/red-sox-reportedly-pulled-offer-for-nathan-eovaldi-after-spending-elsewhere-scott7

Just a badly mismanaged team top to bottom.

I was stunned when they didn’t keep him or Wacha (who’s also having a great season).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just found out something new weather-wise that happened in this area quite a while back.

Until 2000, there was a small amusement park located in Lunenburg called Whalom Park.  I never visited it but had driven past it many times prior to it closing. There are condos on the site now.

From 1940 until it was demolished in 2006 there was a wooden roller coaster called the Comet.  Prior to that coaster, there was another coaster called the Flying Star.  

That coaster was heavily damaged in a storm in 1938.  I had always assumed it was from the 1938 hurricane.

Turns out that in August of 1938 the area was hit by a tornado that did decent damage, including to Whalom Park.  There had been another tornado in the area in 1924 that killed at least 1 person

We used to go there all the time as kids, when I got older, I heard it closed. I was up that way for work once, so I took a ride by and saw the condos you mentioned, it was a nice little park in its day for the area. Didn't know about that tornado though, that's interesting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I haven't had a fire yet this year. Have tipped the rain water out of the pit a bunch though.

You can drill some holes in the bottom so it drains, That's a new one, 30", The last one was a 36" but man it used a lot of wood, I don't leave mine outside, My last one lasted 7 yrs, The rainwater rust the bottoms out.

• Like 1