• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

There's still a large amount of ash here although there's spots around CON where they've been hit hard. I have seeds and seedlings popping up everywhere in the front yard including my mulched bed in the front where my large rhodies are.

The Darling-58 chestnut should get federal approval this year and then we'll start seeing its availability increase over the next few years to the general public.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

speaking of the EAB-do they go away once they destroy all the ash? I ask because I haven't seen any in a couple years. they already killed almost all the ash trees in my hood. I have a smaller ash tree that if you look at the top, it is dead. but if you look up from directly underneath the tree, there is a lot of new growth down low. think it will survive?

If 100% of the ash trees are truly dead, I think EAB won't survive there as I know of no other hosts for the critter.  However, even super-susceptible species like green ash may develop sprouts from stumps/roots as the top dies, providing potential host trees.  On another front, one unfortunate facet of the chestnut blight fungus is that it apparently can persist on oaks without harming them, thus keeping inoculum present for any sprouting or planted chestnuts.  (And horse chestnuts are a totally different genus/species, and not susceptible to the blight.)

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

There's still a large amount of ash here although there's spots around CON where they've been hit hard. I have seeds and seedlings popping up everywhere in the front yard including my mulched bed in the front where my large rhodies are.

The Darling-58 chestnut should get federal approval this year and then we'll start seeing its availability increase over the next few years to the general public.

We had a stupendous seed crop on white ash last year.  I expect to see places with the ground covered by its seedlings.

• Like 1

Here in Southern CT we were hit by EAB hard around 8-10 years ago. There is essentially no more ash trees around here. Even young 2-3 inch tees don't make it.

I have been treating my 125+ year old green ash tree for the last 10 years against EAB. I lost another one of similar size and counted the rings and compared size to estimate the age of this one. 

The first 4 years I used an imdicalprod soil drench but have since switched over to treeage Injections from an arborist every 2 years. The active ingredient is Emamectin Benzoate which is way better than using imdicalprod. Cost $300 every 2 years compared to the $3k I spent removing the other ash I'll keep treating for awhile.

There is still some thinning and dead branches but she's still holding on this year. This picture was also taken awhile back when it just leafed out.

Screenshot_20230617_064833_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

EAB arrived here a few years ago.  Ash are dying like crazy.  My neighbor just cut 3 dead ones down.  We spent $600 last year to treat our 2 ash.  

Brian,  by the way the 3 chestnut seedlings we bought several years ago are doing great.  The biggest one is now about 7 feet tall.  Frost killed the first leave sprouts but they bounced back. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

EAB arrived here a few years ago.  Ash are dying like crazy.  My neighbor just cut 3 dead ones down.  We spent $600 last year to treat our 2 ash.  

Brian,  by the way the 3 chestnut seedlings we bought several years ago are doing great.  The biggest one is now about 7 feet tall.  Frost killed the first leave sprouts but they bounced back. 

I have two big dead ones, one actually has a few leaves way up top but it's days are numbered. I'm counting on the dead ash and hickory (lightning strike) for firewood this winter.

7 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone ever been to Camden yards ? I'm going with my family in August and we are not sure where to stay for the weekend.

I was at a meeting about 20 years ago and 12 of us went to a game against the Yankees.  Fun time!   It will be hot in august for sure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone ever been to Camden yards ? I'm going with my family in August and we are not sure where to stay for the weekend.

Been several times, I like the Marriot as mentioned. It's cheaper the further away you go from the park but then you have to pay for parking, better to stay within walking distance and in your spare time can go to the inner harbor and crack some crabs.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, DavisStraight said:

Been several times, I like the Marriot as mentioned. It's cheaper the further away you go from the park but then you have to pay for parking, better to stay within walking distance and in your spare time can go to the inner harbor and crack some crabs.

Or grab some crack.. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Won’t miss Marcus Smart chucking 100’s of 3’s. Also one of the choke prone in playoffs . Can’t say great trade for C’s but I’d roll the dice with Porzingas and 25’th pick and next years 1 round pick from GS  

Will miss his D though.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

He always gave 100% on the floor, that's why he was a fan favorite, would have liked the trade a lot more if it was Brogden but I still think they're a better team today than last year.

He's been pretty durable, And i think that was the turn off for Brogdon getting moved, But they really needed to get Pritchard in the mix at PG.

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

He's bad with his left side and gets the ball stolen all the time from there as his weakness gets exposed by the opposition.

I think He needs to be moved for us to win It all.. we have been somewhat lucky to see top seeds falls very early in last couple playoffs to give us easier paths . He is the most athletic on team , I like him , he knows what the right mindset is ..but when he’s bad he is unplayable. I’m not sure if his dribbling woes could be minimized in a different offensive scheme,  but he kills a game when he turns it over 4 x in a 3’rd or 4’th Q  .

Also Celtics basically got nothing in last nites draft . Future picks and Jordan Walsh a potential rotation player G/F who can’t shoot well