Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

On 6/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, dryslot said:

The hairs of the caterpillar are toxic as that's there defense mechanism, Some people are subject to more of a reaction then others, Me being one of them as i am when i get insect bites, I swell up and develop a rash.

We had an outbreak of those at my fathers house in Truro MA about 15 years ago. He thought one of the renters was bringing their pets into the house. A chance discussion with a local told him about the caterpillars. I believe there is also a caterpillar who's droppings can cause reactions also.

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just happened upon an NFL Network show on the craziest wx games and of course it had the greatest snow game ever played.

Video won't play on my machine, but I'm interested in which snow game was "greatest".  Perhaps not a great game, but NYG at Wash on Dec 11, 1960 might've been the snowiest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Video won't play on my machine, but I'm interested in which snow game was "greatest".  Perhaps not a great game, but NYG at Wash on Dec 11, 1960 might've been the snowiest.

So weird. I’m not sure why it’s not showing up. 

A good sized bear crossed in front of me on a ski area work road today.

The work road is wider than it looks in the photos (supports F250s) and this bear took up the whole lane as he crossed.  Good sized animal.

He was just wandering toward me, head down.  Then a gust of wind came from behind me towards him, and his head shot right up in alarm.  I stayed still because I didn't want to spook him.  Hate disturbing them because they are such scared animals.

He ended up slowly walking away but then became more aware I was there and started to trot away unfortunately.

Bear1.thumb.jpg.4eade3880498ff915aedc2028f073d7a.jpg

Bear2.thumb.jpg.73c93dd55c7360630a9a18317d77ce99.jpg

Bear3.thumb.jpg.332cd28f66bc7b53a4264ec161d4eb19.jpg

• Like 10

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

Has there ever been a more Maine sounding town than Moxie Gore?

image.thumb.png.288ad8e23bfefcfbbd48360395f04c9f.png

Found that place with Google Earth.  Nice looking but pretty pricey for a 3-season 1-BR camp that's not on the water.  The south end of Black Brook Pond is only 0.3 miles to its east - thru dense woods - and the 2016 GE imagery doesn't show a public boat launch, though a friendly neighbor on the water might allow putting a watercraft on the pond.  I highly doubt Bo's Run gets plowed - don't know for sure, of course - and the plowed Indian Pond Road is 1.5 miles away.  

A "gore" is usually a tract that's left over when full townships were surveyed.  Moxie Gore is a rough triangle between Squaretown (a 6-by-6 twp) and the Kennebec Gorge.  The small public lot at the west end of Moxie Gore has the trailhead to one of Maine's tallest waterfalls, about a 1/2 mile walk from the tar.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

God no lol. Just my wife and I

One love  Brewery is nice spot in Lincoln’s main strip . I always like driving up the Kancamangus Highway For views and Stopping at 1 or 2 of The waterfalls (Sabbaday falls ) then sometimes for a Day trip into N Conway (45 mins) . For me Lincoln was always a much better winter spot as their is limited dining and sights in town . I’d make sure I stay in a spot w decent amenities.

There is a cool lost river gorge and cave in next town over (Woodstock) which is a pretty cool easy hike into caves , slightly claustrophobic in few spots but guided . 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One love  Brewery is nice spot in Lincoln’s main strip . I always like driving up the Kancamangus Highway For views and Stopping at 1 or 2 of The waterfalls ,then sometimes for a Day trip into N Conway (45 mins) . For me Lincoln was always a much better winter spot as their is limited dining and sights in town . I’d make sure I stay in a spot w decent amenities.

There is a cool lost river gorge and cave in next town over (Woodstock) which is a pretty cool easy hike into caves , slightly claustrophobic in few spots but guided . 

Thanks, yeah it seems like Lincoln is a little less crazy than North Conway. We’ve kind of beaten North Conway to death over the years, wanted to go somewhere a bit different.

• Like 1

Re EAB and browntail comments. The biocontrol aphid wasp species are showing promising signs in the Midwest of building up enough population to control EAB and allow for the next ash crop to grow. It’s now being released all over New England including Maine. There is no expectation that current ash on the landscape will survive, although the relative remoteness of ash stands across NNE will likely slow the burn. I used to get browntail rash all the time working on wood lots in the mid coast and people thought I was crazy, it’s since exploded everywhere including my town for the first time this year. The outbreak will likely bust at some point but entomologists have no idea when. Successive cool wet springs and falls would allow the build up of various pathogens and fungal diseases that reduce their populations. On a brighter note it seems the gypsy/spongy moth outbreak in my area has finally waned after 3 years of defoliation. Invasive pests and plants sure have changed our NE forest ecosystems from their pre contact predecessors. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Haven’t spent much time on the western side of NH. Heading up to Lincoln for 5 days starting Saturday 7/8.

Anyone have any must do things in that area? Places to visit?

Woodstock Brewery is decent. also, there are  bunch of free things to see/do in that area and up around Cannon Mtn. I believe that you could take a gondola to the top of Loon, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Clarks Trading Post is fun even for adults if you want to do a super-touristy thing.

11 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One love  Brewery is nice spot in Lincoln’s main strip . I always like driving up the Kancamangus Highway For views and Stopping at 1 or 2 of The waterfalls (Sabbaday falls ) then sometimes for a Day trip into N Conway (45 mins) . For me Lincoln was always a much better winter spot as their is limited dining and sights in town . I’d make sure I stay in a spot w decent amenities.

When we lived in Gardiner and our parents in Woodsville, NH, our westbound route passed Lost River Gorge, probably 50 times over 10 years, and never stopped.  We had some interesting winter trips but our '83 Cavalier wagon with studs and good snows on the front took us over the Kanc when others had to turn around.  Nastiest pitch was the multiple steep S-turns heading west from Kinsman Notch.
If one is into looking for gold, the Wild Ammonoosuc that runs west from K.Notch is a frequently panned river.  I don't know whether Loon runs its lift for summer tourists but they do (or did) spin for leaf peepers.  The most benign 2-hour traffic jam of our lives came on the 2nd weekend of October about 35 years ago.  We had no set schedule, temps were 75-80 with hazy sun and prime colors, so we merely put the 5-speed Cav in neutral and coasted, enjoying the view.  Took 26 minutes for the 1st mile as we leapfrogged with 3 college-age ladies on foot, and 7 miles between about 4:30 and 6:30 PM.  We're convinced that the jam was triggered by Loon stopping the lift, dumping loads of cars into an already over-trafficked Lincoln.
(Had to type this twice.  Was about 30 seconds from sending when the power cut out, now on the genny.  Quarter mile down the road a medium-size white ash tipped onto the lines.  Little/no wind but CMP said all the rain has so soaked the soil that they're answering a number of tree-on-line situations.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

When we lived in Gardiner and our parents in Woodsville, NH, our westbound route passed Lost River Gorge, probably 50 times over 10 years, and never stopped.  We had some interesting winter trips but our '83 Cavalier wagon with studs and good snows on the front took us over the Kanc when others had to turn around.  Nastiest pitch was the multiple steep S-turns heading west from Kinsman Notch.
If one is into looking for gold, the Wild Ammonoosuc that runs west from K.Notch is a frequently panned river.  I don't know whether Loon runs its lift for summer tourists but they do (or did) spin for leaf peepers.  The most benign 2-hour traffic jam of our lives came on the 2nd weekend of October about 35 years ago.  We had no set schedule, temps were 75-80 with hazy sun and prime colors, so we merely put the 5-speed Cav in neutral and coasted, enjoying the view.  Took 26 minutes for the 1st mile as we leapfrogged with 3 college-age ladies on foot, and 7 miles between about 4:30 and 6:30 PM.  We're convinced that the jam was triggered by Loon stopping the lift, dumping loads of cars into an already over-trafficked Lincoln.
(Had to type this twice.  Was about 30 seconds from sending when the power cut out, now on the genny.  Quarter mile down the road a medium-size white ash tipped onto the lines.  Little/no wind but CMP said all the rain has so soaked the soil that they're answering a number of tree-on-line situations.)

I've camped at the Lost River Campground. Very pretty area.  There is also the Polar Caves in Rumney that are sort of fun and not too far from Lincoln.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:08 PM, dryslot said:

We didn't have them growing up either, They had originally popped up in the mid coast area in the last 10 yrs or so and have migrated further inland in the past several years here.

2020 Maine Browntail Moth Exposure Risk Map

With such a jagged, freeform state outline, and rough topography, I didn't realize so many town borders are orthogonal looking.