Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28th Snowstorm Observations

TalcottWx

27 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Had another burst of moderate for about 1/2 hour while I was talking a walk with the dog in the woods.  Probably while you were driving.  I don't have a clear area but I'd say I'm over 5 by now.  Was pretty mod- heavy snow between 10-12:30.  Curious what your measurement is, as there's been a bit of compaction as the temp rose.

Took a core maybe an hour ago and it was 2.5”/0.26” new. That was a 10hr sample. So I’m up to 4.6”/0.40” as of 4pm. Getting near 5” now. 

• Like 2

Posted this in the other thread, but this storm busted with only 4.0" of snow on 0.39" liquid. I was expecting closer to 8" with around 0.75" liquid, which is an average of the QPF that a lot of the NWP was forecasting up until go time last night. Synoptic forcing was weak pretty much the whole time except for a couple of hours at the storm's onset from around 10 pm to midnight last night. 

These Miller Bs often screw someone and NWP always has a hard time figuring out where that is...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BrianW said:

FB_IMG_1677621941472.jpg

Portrait of a decaying system

The best dynamics never made it further northeast. For most of eastern MA, aside from that first hour last night, pretty meager rates and snowgrowth everywhere.

Compounded by warming temps since 12z today, this had no chance even with northern stream infusion this afternoon.

I can't find a single forecast (including stereotypically conservative forecasters like Dave Epstein) that had 0-2" for northeastern half of MA.

• Thanks 1

This is definately a dud-like storm. If you were the type of person that addied everything up since this morning you generally get a band/ribbon that was about 4-8", if you were the type of person that let it settle it ended up more like  3-6" type of deal. Those with any elevation played a critical role in this particular storm.

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Took a core maybe an hour ago and it was 2.5”/0.26” new. That was a 10hr sample. So I’m up to 4.6”/0.40” as of 4pm. Getting near 5” now. 

10 hour sample with compaction should mean I'm over 5, not including the 1/2" that's fallen in the last half hour.  Your pack is about what is in my woods.  What a walk today up a hill to a clear view se in moderately falling snow.