• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

Gosh... you guys are a needling reasons to not accept this as a decent event.

I guess truth be told, it's impossible to remove the humanity from the "geo physical equations" that proceed the modeling of any event ... Still, I'd just caution, needling for any plausibility that sides with the most direst of indicators, is just as unseemly an application of bias.

It's clear some kind of defensive blah blah blah, must be motivating that tact.

I'm still going ... 80/20  in favor of the GFS, with the 20% sort of a consensus of other tools.

For as purposeful as those 'plausible' anything in this may seem, I don't see them as compelling reasons to assume an "optimistic" result is unlikely. 

I warned...btw way ... not to allow past winter's shenanigans dictate one's perception when we started this thread.  And that seems to be failing - imho... just observing this practice.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I def wouldn’t be forecasting much accumulation after the initial thump. If mesos start honking today, maybe we consider it, but I’m going to assume QPF is way overdone in the CCB portion of the system. I might feel ok about it in parts of far S ME or something. 

Even that from part doesn’t seem like a true wall of precip on some guidance. I really want to see a good solid shield of echoes moves in.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Gosh... you guys are a needling reasons to not accept this as a decent event.

I guess truth be told, it's impossible to remove the humanity from the "geo physical equations" that proceed the modeling of any event ... Still, I'd just caution, needling for any plausibility that sides with the most direst of indicators, is just as unseemly an application of bias.

It's clear some kind of defensive blah blah blah, must be motivating that tact.

I'm still going ... 80/20  in favor of the GFS, with the 20% sort of a consensus of other tools.

For as purposeful as those 'plausible' anything in this may seem, I don't see them as compelling reasons to assume an "optimistic" result is unlikely. 

I warned...btw way ... not to allow past winter's shenanigans dictate one's perception when we started this thread.  And that seems to be failing - imho... just observing this practice.

Well I guess location matters. For here, I don’t see a reason to be gung ho. The airmass sucks, it’s going to warm aloft, and slot moves in fairly quick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is going to be brutally ugly I think. I'd still be extremely skeptical with these QPF outputs, especially on such a widespread level.

Soundings look like shit too. This is 06z GFS for 12z tomorrow here. Bone dry in the DGZ. I'm guessing we're getting at a shredded radar look plus crap snow growth. We'll see what the mesos do but I'm thinking there will be a lot of disappointed weenies tomorrow with 3-5'' of sand then a slot and 33F by 10 am. 

gfs_2023030306_fh30_sounding_42.84N_71.57W.png

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Soundings look like shit too. This is 06z GFS for 12z tomorrow here. Bone dry in the DGZ. I'm guessing we're getting at a shredded radar look plus crap snow growth. We'll see what the mesos do but I'm thinking there will be a lot of disappointed weenies tomorrow with 3-5'' of sand then a slot and 33F by 10 am. 

gfs_2023030306_fh30_sounding_42.84N_71.57W.png

Agreed...this has been a bit problem is a quite a bit of dry air to contend with. I think the airmass is even drier then Monday's. It's going to take some time to really saturate I think. 

Also, the storm ingests a ton of dry air from the southwest. Looping RH at 500/700 is pretty uneasy looking. Sure, where you're lift is stronger and ulvl divergence is greater you'll offset this some, but we're playing with time here.

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Agreed...this has been a bit problem is a quite a bit of dry air to contend with. I think the airmass is even drier then Monday's. It's going to take some time to really saturate I think. 

Also, the storm ingests a ton of dry air from the southwest. Looping RH at 500/700 is pretty uneasy looking. Sure, where you're lift is stronger and ulvl divergence is greater you'll offset this some, but we're playing with time here.

Soundings for SNH are well below freezing through the column on the hrrr. My guess is the sleet coloring on the maps is showing up from a dry dgz with lower level lift. Could just end up crap flakes vs sleet, but there is a ton of dry air aloft. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Soundings for SNH are well below freezing through the column on the hrrr. My guess is the sleet coloring on the maps is showing up from a dry dgz with lower level lift. Could just end up crap flakes vs sleet, but there is a ton of dry air aloft. 

It’s def because of that. You see the sleet line jump like 60-75 miles in one hour, lol. It’s prob when the DGZ starts to dry out a bit but in reality that will still be snow assuming it is correct thermally. 

• Like 1

Devils in the details. It's a juicy system. QPF settling between .75-1.00" 
I would still expect in a foot in the climo favored areas (where tainting doesn't take place) hills outside of 495.
A spread (SREF) of 2-12" with the mean around 6-10" in the forementioned areas.  

Going to be fun watching how this all shakes out. Big model runs forthcoming.

6 minutes ago, Kitz Craver said:

This thing has been a shit show to track

It sure has. And I'm still not sure if we're going to see anything better than what's predicted. The weather guys here in CT seem to think it will switch over to rain even where I am west of Hartford. But some of the model show it's staying frozen through out the event. It'll be fun to track

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well I guess location matters. For here, I don’t see a reason to be gung ho. The airmass sucks, it’s going to warm aloft, and slot moves in fairly quick. 

oh well.. yeah. sorry Scott - right.

I mean at a regional scope.

In the context of imby, if one is located 10 mile NW of the Bourne Bridge or whatever, they're not likely to get the same realization as ORH. Lol... which in turn isn't getting the same thing as Keene, NH either..