• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

bummed you're final map lowered me to 3-6.  Good luck on the call (even though I hope it's wrong.  :) )

I wish I had spent more time at Pit2 this winter.  Even with an incredibly slow start, they managed a relatively decent second half  At least in relatino to the non-winter inf SNE.

Westborough? Should be closer to high end of that. 

• Like 1

BTV AFD this morning

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Snow: Overall, widespread totals of 6-14" are expected with the
lowest amounts occurring along the Canadian border, and highest
amounts along the southeast facing slopes of the southern Greens and
Adirondacks. High snowfall rates of 1-2"/hr are expected across the
region from midnight through 10 AM Saturday, and areas of blowing
snow are likely along the western slopes of the Greens as well.
While model QPF amounts have come up by a tenth to quarter inch, our
forecast snow amounts were adjusted only slightly upward as
uncertainty continues in regard to snow-to-liquid ratios given the
height of the DGZ and strong vertical wind shear below it. This will
likely contribute to snow crystal fragmentation during the first
half of the event tonight, where we`ve kept ratios closer to 10:1.
As upper low migrates overhead and the low-level jet weakens, higher
snow ratios should be observed on Saturday, though the overall
intensity of snowfall will be weakening.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice to see 06z guidance cool a touch. Hoping that we can pull a nice front ender here. 

Drove from Franklin Ma home yesterday and noticeable lack of snow until Ingot back to the CT/RI line on Rt 6; yesterdays rain wash it all away?

Just now, Modfan2 said:

Drove from Franklin Ma home yesterday and noticeable lack of snow until Ingot back to the CT/RI line on Rt 6; yesterdays rain wash it all away?

Probably. I still have coverage in my yard but a lot of sun torched areas got melted out. 

NAM FOUS 06z was colder, period.

Logan with -0C isothermic all the way, with only one interval at +1 in the lowest level through the event.   

Also, it's 62" liq equiv, with ENE wind at sustained 34 kts at 980s mb above the surface. 

That sounds pretty darn close to a blizzard like arena - but obviously we know better with the frothing open sea delivering that "CCB"

Which by the way, ENE at that wind sustained over several hours, and low < 990 going underneath is a CCB. 

Not sure if there's still contention on this idea ... but if there is, the NAM's 06z looks darn CCBish for what it's worth. 

Haven't seen any posts since 7 last night so I have no idea if all this hasn't already been demolished through the interpretation net - haha....   funny feeling it has

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There were some spots in metro west that got 8-9 inches in 2 hours during the end of that. At the time, I knew it was an awesome storm, but I definitely appreciate those types of storms a lot more as I get older. Just awesome display of power from mother nature in that one in many different forms. 

This isn't an analog for that event - beyond the fact that they both have low pressure producing winter storm conditions on the map...  I mean, not that anyone is saying it is, here.... I'm just gathering cognizance for the morning. Not sure what planet I'm on just yet...

But I do know that on Earth, that system was unique and different than this.   just sayn'

That storm brought 6.5" to Acton, ma in one hour during the 4 hours of the total event.  We ended close to 15"   There were to concentric bands ...probably separated by a gravity wave.. As each one passed over, vis went down to feet.  12/9/05 was 2nd time I ever saw 6+" in one hour, the first time was 12/23/97.  

• Like 2

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

This isn't an analog for that event - beyond the fact that they both have low pressure producing winter storm conditions on the map...  I mean, not that anyone is saying it is, here.... I'm just gathering cognizance for the morning. Not sure what planet I'm on just yet...

But I do know that on Earth, that system was unique and different than this.   just sayn'

That storm brought 6.5" to Acton, ma in one hour during the 4 hours of the total event.  We ended close to 15"   There were to concentric bands ...probably separated by a gravity wave.. As each one passed over, vis went down to feet.  12/9/05 was 2nd time I ever saw 6+" in one hour, the first time was 12/23/97.  

Yeah the vort and dynamics in this one aren’t even close to that ‘05 storm. I’m actually expecting any CCB in this one mostly to be offshore or maybe far northeast areas. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looked like it tried to CCB back into eastern MA better than 00z.

2.thumb.png.4171c40188137f2ba2e0d18398919e0a.png

1.thumb.png.b1a322812c6e3975db74d07f6cd79ede.png

Yea it did. Front end looked a touched better too though very similar. 

Im still assuming the CCB is mostly a fraud. It will only matter if it’s truly heavy stuff. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not a fan of that banded look on the QPF. 

I def wouldn’t be forecasting much accumulation after the initial thump. If mesos start honking today, maybe we consider it, but I’m going to assume QPF is way overdone in the CCB portion of the system. I might feel ok about it in parts of far S ME or something.