• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

Some hopium in the LR on the 12z GEFS. As mentioned in a previous post, a weak signal for frozen next Friday-Saturday period, then a somewhat stronger signal around the 24th-25th for something. The advertised pattern on the GEFS looks like it may be going places. EPS and CMC ens look somewhat different at h5, but still a notably colder look for the east the end of the month. Time will tell; we just can't know yet. 

1677326400-C9YGnG1btRY.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I said I had some optimism for late Feb and March.  That's relative to the no hope despair I've felt for the whole winter up until now...so don't get carried away and say I think snowmageddon is coming...but I could see us maybe having some legit threats for snow  the last week of Feb and through March. 

Have to think our latitude scores at least once in that late feb - march timeframe. We do late season snowfall fairly well up this way. Would absolutely love to see everyone get in on the action, but it’d be truly historically shitty if your area over to mine continued to strike out through march too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jayyy said:

Have to think our latitude scores at least once in that late feb - march timeframe. We do late season snowfall fairly well up this way. Would absolutely love to see everyone get in on the action, but it’d be truly historically shitty if your area over to mine continued to strike out through march too.

That’s all logical but keep in mind this is already historically unprecedentedly shitty.  My records go back 17 years but the Manchester coop records I found between 2 reliable stations go back 40 years. There is nothing close to this.  The least snow ever by this date before this year is ~12”. So it’s impossible to apply historical expectations to this since this winter has by far far far worse than anything we’ve ever experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m still holding out hope but in the last 48 hours the mjo wave has shown signs of dying short of cold phases again. As that’s happened the hints at longer term changes up top have faded also. The SSW might still kick in but it seems the late Feb start if favorable shifts was more mjo than SSW related. 

If we don’t get changes up top I doubt we get anything. I know some keep trying to find ways to work around but during the last hostile PDO phase we rarely snowed without blocking help. 

@jayyy keep in mind in the other similar years to this where it was this warm and very low snow (never this low but lowest before this year) all the snow fell by now. The little bit of snow we lucked into was during peak cold climo. What I’m trying to say is we need a pattern change. As it now starts to warm this pattern isn’t going to work if it didn’t work during our coldest window and that pertains to us up here also. 

@CAPE I am also interested in what happens if we get a prolonged favorable enso state. Something I think worth noting to watch for. As I was looking at the h5 anomalies from those snows in the last hostile pdo period from 1945-1980 and the more recent -NAO fails something stuck out to me. If you adjust for the warmer base state the patters were the same. Even in the 60s for example, we often had higher heights over the east than the west coast. The mean trough was out west but with blocking systems cut across but there was still a hint of a SER. But the mid latitude base state was so cold it didn’t matter. The baroclinic boundary was south of us.  

Is the issue now that if you adjust that same pattern for the warmer base state it doesn’t work as well anymore.  Think of 2021. It was very close. My 1000 ft and slight latitude advantage was enough. DC was very close to a big big winter. The pattern tried it just couldn’t quite overcome the warmer base state. We don’t have enough data yet. But if we get a modoki Nino and it continues to be hard to get cold enough we might have our answer. 

My guess is it’s in between. That it will snow more. But maybe not as much more as we need to get out avg back to what it was. What I mean is for Baltimore to maintain a 20” avg we don’t just need a modoki Nino year to give Baltimore 20-30” those have to be the 40”+ years or else the avg will tank considering we’re averaging like 10” in all other seasons now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The pattern tried it just couldn’t quite overcome the warmer base state. We don’t have enough data yet. But if we get a modoki Nino and it continues to be hard to get cold enough we might have our answer. 

Modoki Nino may not deliver if the Pac basin SST profile doesn't set up correctly.  I imagine it all depends on the anomalies and location. The grass here is still green and some bulbs have already sprouted through the soil. The 70 degrees next week will really start the thoughts of Spring.    

The advertised h5 pattern on the big 3 global ens means in the LR, in conjunction with the extended products going forward, suggests we may have one last chance with a workable longwave pattern. The general window looks to be Feb 25- March 10. Beyond that climo degrades and some of the extended products shift the pattern back to more of the same. That's way out there though.

The general look at the end of the latest ens mean runs-

1677499200-8Xch7q8n7Oo.png

Beyond that all of the extended products(CMC, GEFS, CFS and Euro weeklies) to varying degrees depict an improved look in the high latitudes for a time. 

Latest CFS is representative, and along with the most recent Euro weeklies, has the best look for the longest, but they are both prone to dramatic shifts run-to run. Without significant improvement in the PNA space, we probably need a formidable -NAO for 7-10 days to get a few legit cracks at something. This is likely our last best shot. Hail Mary time.

1678233600-Y1bAFEovEBs.png

• Like 9

This depiction may very well be completely wrong on the 18z GFS at D15, but why would snow be possible given that low track on this run? Have not seen anything like that this winter. Should be mild rain with a weak pos High running away! Answer is (as advertised) a legit -NAO, with a 'captured' 50-50 vortex, and surface HP locked in. That low track would be further south if not for the awful pacific, and it probably would be anyway with a legit block. Op runs have been hinting -NAO lately towards the end of the month(also seeing it suggested on the ensembles). Maybe it IS still meteorologically possible for a NA block to work in somewhat mitigating a significantly -PNA, at least within a model simulation lol. Hopefully we will get to find out.

1677520800-6grMXSrurJE.png

1677520800-OemKWIT23h0.png

1677520800-hetcg0as6B4.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The models are starting to include a -NAO from 10mb warming making it to 500mb by the turn of the month. March 2018 could be a good analog, if it pans out. 

If it's a legit Stratosphere warming, the lag time to 500mb at this time of the year is +15-20 Days (There is no D-0 correlation minus commonalities(+=+)). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

My guess is it’s in between. That it will snow more. But maybe not as much more as we need to get out avg back to what it was. What I mean is for Baltimore to maintain a 20” avg we don’t just need a modoki Nino year to give Baltimore 20-30” those have to be the 40”+ years or else the avg will tank considering we’re averaging like 10” in all other seasons now. 

I don’t expect we will ever return to the 20” avg. After doing that trend graph I did a month or so ago, I think that’s the writing on the wall. We may hold a 10” median / 15” mean, but certainly not a return to 20” in either averaging method. 

Still expect some big winters ahead or at least some years with a HECS thrown in, though.

Best case scenario is we get a heater that resembles a warmer version of the 1960s with blocking. Less snow overall, but maybe some juiced up storms that drop 24” that would otherwise have produced 12” in a colder climate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

This depiction may very well be completely wrong on the 18z GFS at D15, but why would snow be possible given that low track on this run? Have not seen anything like that this winter. Should be mild rain with a weak pos High running away! Answer is (as advertised) a legit -NAO, with a 'captured' 50-50 vortex, and surface HP locked in. That low track would be further south if not for the awful pacific, and it probably would be anyway with a legit block. Op runs have been hinting -NAO lately towards the end of the month(also seeing it suggested on the ensembles). Maybe it IS still meteorologically possible for a NA block to work in somewhat mitigating a significantly -PNA, at least within a model simulation lol. Hopefully we will get to find out.

it’s pretty refreshing to see a 50/50 feature be the deepest anomaly in NA. along with the SSW, it helps me think the blocking signal is a bit more legit with the dipole 

05633E2B-9F9C-464C-B2B2-18430A3C395F.thumb.png.72b373417c34f972658099acb2600453.png

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The models are starting to include a -NAO from 10mb warming making it to 500mb by the turn of the month. March 2018 could be a good analog, if it pans out. 

If it's a legit Stratosphere warming, the lag time to 500mb at this time of the year is +15-20 Days (There is no D-0 correlation minus commonalities(+=+)). 

I was always curious when the every day models will start to pick up on The effects of the SSW

10 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s all logical but keep in mind this is already historically unprecedentedly shitty.  My records go back 17 years but the Manchester coop records I found between 2 reliable stations go back 40 years. There is nothing close to this.  The least snow ever by this date before this year is ~12”. So it’s impossible to apply historical expectations to this since this winter has by far far far worse than anything we’ve ever experienced. 

This is a very interesting post @psuhoffman.  This tells me just how entrenched this current snow drought is and just how wide spread it is.  I was actually a little surprised by the ~12 inch number.. thinking that there had to be other years sprinkled in that were close to this.  This tells me that no one is getting snow any where, regardless of climo, elevation or latitude.  I mean, its the same all the way to through New York.  Look at Rochester:

image.thumb.png.f5d8f0b456ae7ca233416d21c9709957.png

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it’s pretty refreshing to see a 50/50 feature be the deepest anomaly in NA. along with the SSW, it helps me think the blocking signal is a bit more legit with the dipole 

05633E2B-9F9C-464C-B2B2-18430A3C395F.thumb.png.72b373417c34f972658099acb2600453.png

Yeah the end of the GEFS run looks like an actual NAO dipole/rex block is getting established, following the GFS op. Good signs the last few runs. We shall see.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CAPE said:

The NAO has always had more impact the later in a season we go. March 2018 had the greatest affect of all the recent -NAOs. But at some point I’d like to see that a -NAO can overcome the pac in Dec-early Feb. Im pretty sure they can still work in March when shorter wavelengths mute the pac affects to begin with. But ultimately we need blocking to work Dec to Feb also if we want anything resembling what we think of as normal snow climo. 

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic