Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMO this is what to look for if we want improvements here...

Look back at that GFS run a couple days ago that was a legit snow across our area without needing some miraculous 10 degree dynamic cooling (dont get me wrong it still took a lot going right but this was a better setup). 

This result....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_22.thumb.png.008051cab81cc4e9e0f8def512382ed5.png

was because of this setup 

gfs_z500_mslp_eus_21.thumb.png.22f6e4b19006f9862cb8c8fed34eee63.png

Look where the upper low is cutting off there, as it crosses the central Apps and the surface low is developing to its east which limits the SE flow here.  Also its more connected to the northern stream there so it does have some ability to tap cold air, what little there is.  Calling it cold might be a crime but "cooler" at least.  

But look at the latest 12z GFS same time

5432.thumb.png.1da08ccfa1b3b55ff5cfd58ae78849e0.png

That's just not going to work.  The upper low is cutting off way too far south, putting the surface development way to our south also which places us under a long duration of southeast flow obliterating what marginal cool air we have to work with.  Plus it means the system is completely cut off from the northern stream which allows the very marginal to start with "cool" mix of maritime pacific and modified CP air to get stale and degrade from "maybe slightly workable" to "Nope".  

What we need is for the h5 to trend back to the north and cut off over the TN valley not down in the deep south.  I don't know if there is enough time for that to be a realistic ask but its what we need and should look for on future runs.  

If we don't get that the only chance we have is to get some kind of ridiculous crazy once in a generation type event where we get death banded so extreme that it can dynamically cool the thermal profile by like 10 degrees.  That is incredibly unlikely.  It's not impossible.  And places with some elevation have a better chance of that type thing working out.  But by far the better way for us to get snow would be for those adjustments in the H5 I listed above.  

Starting to get late for major shifts but if we needed a shift at 500mb level I'd rather be needing a north shift than south.

200 miles further north with the cut off would probably get it done.

Possible still with it being 4 days out.

Thr better runs had this a Saturday night/ Sunday morning deal before the cut off low decided to take a tour of the gulf coast.

40 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

They really have turned Timberline around. I was up there after Christmas and Timberline was rocking! Canaan Valley resort down the road had like 2 slopes open. 

I've been there nearly every weekend since Dec, and Timberline has been really good all season long.  Almost miraculous considering the lack of natural snowfall there this year.  They will warm up for a few days and then inevitably get a few days and nights below freezing, during which they fire up the guns.  They invested millions in snowmaking in the offseason, and it's really paid off.  We were at Snowshoe last weekend, and the snow was nowhere near as good as Timberline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Are you really going to be mad that you missed some mashed potatoes in the middle of two heat waves that is instantly incinerated by the sun? 

If I miss snow, I get upset.. but none worse than when it is south of me! :) - I am a child when it comes to missing snow.

• Weenie 1

• mappy unpinned this topic