• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fort Kent is a different world from any other place I've lived.  Five coldest mornings:

-47   Jan 17, 1979  ("Only" -40 on the border next to St-Pamphile, PQ.)
-42   Jan 12, 1979
-42   Dec 22, 1980
-41   Jan 12, 1976   11 days after we'd moved up from BGR.  Welcome to the St. John Valley!  9-13 lows: -33/-24/-36/-41/-37.  Only 1/13 got above zero.
-39   Jan 11, 1979

In the 10 Januarys we were in FK, there were 5 days with minima >32.  Ironically, all 5 came in the month noted thrice, above.

I’m looking for a getaway. How is Fort Kent in general for a weekend trip? :weenie: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My coldest at home was prob Jan 1994....I was living at around 600 feet in ORH at the time where it radiated much better than the airport and my crap thermometer showed -21F....could've been off a few degrees, but regardless, it def was near -20F as I think CEF and ORE hit -20s during those outbreaks.

My coldest all time was -32 in North Bridgton ME. I made it to class. 

1 hour ago, TalcottWx said:

My coldest all time was -32 in North Bridgton ME. I made it to class. 

-44F Getting in late on a snowmobile trip up north of Quebec back around 2006 or so. I think we were northwest of Lake St.Jean. Three of us hung back to help someone with sled trouble and didn't get to the hotel til 8:30 at night. As soon as I took off my helmet and balaclava, my nose instantly froze shut! Crazy experience 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Fort Kent is a different world from any other place I've lived.  Five coldest mornings:

-47   Jan 17, 1979  ("Only" -40 on the border next to St-Pamphile, PQ.)
-42   Jan 12, 1979
-42   Dec 22, 1980
-41   Jan 12, 1976   11 days after we'd moved up from BGR.  Welcome to the St. John Valley!  9-13 lows: -33/-24/-36/-41/-37.  Only 1/13 got above zero.
-39   Jan 11, 1979

In the 10 Januarys we were in FK, there were 5 days with minima >32.  Ironically, all 5 came in the month noted thrice, above.

That cold in January 1976 was real!   It was near 0 in Somerville in a Saturday evening with a line into the street for Steve’s Ice Cream.   About a day or 2 later we had a big snow dump...probably near or a bit over a foot.   I was still south of 30 and managed to stay up all night.   I lived in Cambridge and walked into Harvard Square at the height of the storm-probably around 4AM.   Fortunately the health center I was working at then closed and I could sleep after the snow stopped.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s gonna be some -30s with wind on the summits which is just insanity. You’ll need Antarctic gear. 

A poster in ski forum was asking . He was going to Stowe and admitted the bad timing but I wasn’t sure if he was ready for what awaits him and I think his fam ? For Friday and Saturday trip 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Perfect for a day of family skiing 

Saturday is honestly a day when we think about operations and what lifts run… is it high speed with ride time less 7 minutes? Is there shelter at the top of a running lift?  Do we only go to mid-Mtn?  What’s the exposure for any mechanical/maintenance stops that may run 5-10 minutes and are fairly common at ski areas throughout a day if sensors or switches trip out?  Open some lifts at noon when the 850s are about 10-15C warmer?  It looks to come up fast Saturday from -38C to a balmy -25C lol.

Theres a lot of things that can factor in and get discussed.  

• Like 1

I skied in -30 at Stowe in 2018.  The wind so bad we could not ski at the summit, so we had to stay on the resort side and ski there only all weekend.  It was bad.  I had a charity ski race to be in otherwise I would have stayed home.  I wore my snowmobile gear and that mostly worked.  

• Like 2